Sprinter Sacre: should he run at further distances?

With Flemenstar in opposition, it wouldn't be any stroll in the park, particularly if the current ground obtains.

Best laugh I've had this year Reet......Felemenstar? wouldn't get Sprinter off the bridle in a snowstorm with a mile of a start,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how many Arkle's do you think you get to the pound?

He'll kick him aside like he has everything else.

Over hurdles. Not the same.
my comment was slightly tongue in cheek but he also did cue card over 2m4f as well, this time over the bigger obstacles, albeit in receipt of 8lbs.

as henderson & geraghty have said, he's no slowboat.

Best laugh I've had this year Reet......Felemenstar? wouldn't get Sprinter off the bridle in a snowstorm with a mile of a start,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how many Arkle's do you think you get to the pound?

He'll kick him aside like he has everything else.

There's 24lb between them on OR's, Fist.
On soft ground over 2.5m, I'd bet good money there won't be half that difference at the line.

I'm in no rush to argue my Punchestown case yet.

Aintree first and Cue Card is the perfect yardstick to see what my boy has going for him

Anyone who thinks Flemenstar is a donkey all of a sudden is in for a big fuc king fright though.

All p*ss-taking is strictly in the context of Flemenstar taking-on the Aeroplane, granger. :cool:

No doubt Flemenstar remains a horse of considerable potential. Perhaps if connections had accepted the obvious fact that he was a non-stayer at 3m in the Lexus, he'd have gone a different route, and be seen to better effect this season.

Be nice to think that none of Flemenstar, Cue Card and Sprinter Sacre would be inconvenienced at Aintree, however, I fear the ground and sharp track might play against your boy. No matter - even if he ran right up to his best - I reckon he'd be needing a telescope to find Sacre, who will get 20f there, like he'd merely wandered over to the opposite corner of his box. :cool:

Last edited:
my comment was slightly tongue in cheek but he also did cue card over 2m4f as well, this time over the bigger obstacles, albeit in receipt of 8lbs.

as henderson & geraghty have said, he's no slowboat.

Fair enough :cool:

I was really only pointing out that over 2m Bobs Worth would have no chance against SS over 2m but if SS stays? :ninja:

Bob isn't slow though, I'm a big fan of the horse.

There's 24lb between them on OR's, Fist.
On soft ground over 2.5m, I'd bet good money there won't be half that difference at the line.
I agree.

But listen when they say he won by a mile that doesn't actually mean he won by a mile........I mean to say 2.5 miles is a long way but not even Sprinter could beat Flemenststar by 1.25 miles.:lol: How about we agree on a furlong?:p

Last edited:
On a serious note Reet. Sprinter Sacre isn't bred to be a 2 miler and he'll probably be even better over longer trips.

What I could see happen at Aintree is Sprinter quickening up down the back and Flemenstar trying to go with him and by doing so he'll have gone so fast he'll tap into his own stamina even at what is considered to be his best trip and stop like shot..........I could see this being another one of these occasions where the second best horse in the race does not finish 2nd.

That of course is if he is the 2nd best that turns up. I doubt very much if Flemenstar could handle Cue Card......both travel well but Cue Card for me is the one who would find more in a finish.

Last edited:
:)
Have it your own way, Fist, though it's daft to write Flemenstar down on 2 runs over a trip he didn't stay, and it may be equally mistaken to assume that a horse (SS) who has thus far shown he's all about speed will be fully as effective, given a greater test of stamina.

Edit
Just seen your 2nd post. Cue Card might have the edge on F. on good ground, that's unlikely to be the case on proper soft.

Last edited:
This "All about Speed" was Nicky Henderson statement that suited him at the time. He's no more all about speed than flying in the air.

Sprinter is all about sheer power and cruises faster than most horses can run when flat out. He could go round Cheltenham 3 times and never bat an eyelid.

Horses can run for miles and miles at their own speed, it's when you ask them to go faster than they are comfortable doing stamina or the lack of becomes a factor.

If Sizing Europe who match strides with Kauto Star easily couldn't get Sprinter Sacre out of his comfort sure I'm damn sure Flemenstar has even less chance.

EDIT. I just saw your edit....I keep forgetting how miserably cold the UK can be.......never gave the going a thought tbh.

Last edited:
Back