Sprinting Division

On his best day Overdose is a good horse, and his "win" (or whatever anyone wants to call it now) in the Abbaye a few years back was proof of that. However, at the end of the day it was a non win race, and his best win to date has been a Group 2 in Germany two years ago

I think half his problem lies with his owner, who seems to have trouble follow him everywhere he goes.

Sweated up badly before the race and was playing up at the start too Gal - might explain part of it but still disappointing.

Drop back down to 5f would probably help too IMO.

Sounds like he was being a right clown, from the RP:

Soumillon was forced to give up his remaining rides due to a leg injury sustained in the race and was reluctant to comment on Overdose, only venturing: "I've learnt from experience it's best to say nothing in these situations."

He reared up a couple of times - at one point Soumi was stood on the stalls looking out the back of them whilst they attempted to load Overdose.

Sounds as though Paco Boy runs in the sprint on Saturday according to The Guardian website.

Fascinating - hope unlike some Hannon 2 yos he is on top form - if so he will shake up all the sprinters especially if there is any cut in the ground.

Last edited:
Haydock Update -

5f & 6f Good, Good to Soft in places
1m and further Good to Soft, Soft in places
Sprint Races on Inner Home Straight
Races over 1m and further on Stand Side Course.
14mm rain in past 48 hours.
Monday - Thursday forecast dry.
8mm forecast Friday-Saturday

Paco Boy has been declared at the five day stage. If it were not for the ropey form of the yard I would expect him to win.

I think he needs further :)

Barney McGrew (IRE) 7.g
Borderlescott 8.g
Doncaster Rover (USA) 4.g
Equiano (FR) 5.h
Fullandby (IRE) 8.g
Genki (IRE) 6.g
High Standing (USA) 5.g
Iver Bridge Lad 3.c
Kargali (IRE) 5.h
Kingsgate Native (IRE) 5.g
Lady of The Desert (USA) 3.f
Markab 7.g
Our Jonathan 3.c
Paco Boy (IRE) 5.h
Prime Defender 6.h
Rainfall (IRE) 3.f
Regal Parade 6.g
Serious Attitude (IRE) 4.f
Sir Gerry (USA) 5.h
Starspangledbanner (AUS) 4.c

I agree that he is likely to show his best form over further (over 7f fit and well he is unbeatable) but if there is cut he has a great chance .

Why are they running him in this - thought the Foret was next? Trainers Championship?

I note Ballydoyle have a few juveniles entered on the same card so perhaps there is a real chance SSB will turn up.

Why are they running him in this - thought the Foret was next? Trainers Championship?

I note Ballydoyle have a few juveniles entered on the same card so perhaps there is a real chance SSB will turn up.

Influence of the new owners ?

Interestingly, the Hannons sound like they would prefer to go to the Moulin but the owners are keen on Haydock.

Watching his run in the July Cup it must be worth a go - he was given a shocking ride there by Jimmy Fortune and finished like a rocket.

Given the form of the yard, I'd be leaving it until the Foret.

Seem to be running well below par at the moment.

Paco Boy an unlikely runner....

He explained: "My worry about Haydock is that it could develop into a messy race as there will be a big field and they will most certainly split into two groups, so if you are drawn in the wrong place you could be in trouble.
"In contrast, there will be a single figure field for the Moulin - there is no Goldikova, and, while Makfi could run, the ground will be vastly different to the very soft conditions that he revelled in when beating us in the Prix Jacques le Marois at Deauville, so we must have a chance of turning that form around," he added.
Hannon was also wary of the speed of some of the competitors that his five year-old would have faced at Haydock, with several top class sprinters likely to line up for the Group 1 prize.
He said: "They will go off very fast, and while Richard Hughes makes the point that Paco Boy was quick enough to finish best of all in theJuly Cup at Newmarket last year, Equiano and Starspangledbanner are likely to go five furlong pace at Haydock and we won't be able to ride a race on our fellow."

Back