St Leger

Please Ardross! "Multiple Group 1 placed Seville" was not stuffed he was ran over because he is slow. As for the form of the race does Brown Panther boost or hinder the form? And where they justified in jocking off Kingscnte?

They were justified all right. He finished in front of Census this time. The form is yer usual early 120s St Leger humdrumness.

Census was below form . Brown Panther looks the most doughty stayer and plugged on dourly.Kingscote's confidence looks shot judging by the Portland .

The 3yo colts over middle distances are the worst bunch I can ever remember.

I think it was 1993 when none of the 10-12f all-aged Group 1s in Britain, Ireland or France was won by a 3yo. White Muzzle and Commander In Chief were rated the best, but were dispatched by Opera House in the King George. White Muzzle managed to reverse form with Opera House in the Arc, only to get done by some fllly or other.

Census was below form . Brown Panther looks the most doughty stayer and plugged on dourly.Kingscote's confidence looks shot judging by the Portland .

You could hardly blame him. He probably has no where to go and a stable that wont put him up on there best horse. I would not be backing any of his mounts in future.

Good story, but I can't see it occurring to an outfit who spends more on their entries than the GDP of a small African country!

The quote from O'Brien would have been tongue in cheek. Off course they dont care about the money but watch the race and the glove fits. Was not put in the race and was asked for a little effort down the straight. A nice gallop.

Fran Berry can hold his head high again - no longer is he the worst jockey ever to ride the St Leger.

No, no. I'm sorry. Darryl Holland's performance on Tycoon in the 2004 Leger was by far the worst performance I've ever seen from a jockey in any Classic. By comparison, Berry and Peslier were positively Piggottesque.

Were Fallon and Holland terrible in the '04 race, or was Kerrin McEvoy just completely brilliant?

It reminds me of the ancient and noble art of bear baiting

It's best for Hamm to get the anger out even at the expense of good honest lad like myself. I mean when your backing horses like Seville that get completely run over by a few upgraded handicappers your mood is going to bleak.

Were Fallon and Holland terrible in the '04 race, or was Kerrin McEvoy just completely brilliant?

McEvoy was excellent - he is a superb judge of pace I think but Fallon was atrocious that day . I backed Quiff and when he got her stuck the writing was on the wall a long way out .

I bet they regret not running her in the Arc as she did not train on at 4 .

A thrilling , magnificently attritional race but I think writing Sea Moon off a mistake . I am a big fan of Peslier but that must be the worst ride he has given a horse in a long time . In both his York runs the horse took a while to warm up before pulling away - riding him up the rail was an utter disaster .

MM is a cracking stayer - they broke the course record and Seville a multiple G1 placed horse was stuffed.

Just back from Doncaster... what a great race. "Attritional" is a good way of putting it. The St Leger was run in a record time into a headwind that really drew out the reserves of stamina (or the ability to sustain speed over extended distance) of those taking part. It tested the limits of individual endurance at speed. They were running close to their extent for a prolonged duration.

Masked Marvel featured at the top of the stamina aptitude table and the breakneck speed the race was run at (set by his stablemate) played exactly to his strengths. The four in the race: Masked Marvel, Brown Panther, Sea Moon and Seville also featured as the top four of the stamina aptitude table.

Horse Sire/dam sire Profile DI CD
Masked Marvel Montjeu/Mark Of Esteem 2-0-9-4-1 = 16 0.68 -0.13
Seville Galileo/Silver Hawk 3-0-16-5-2 = 26 0.73 -0.12
Brown Panther Shirocco/Unfuwain 3-0-6-1-2 = 12 1.00 0.08
Sea Moon Beat Hollow/Alleged 4-2-12-5-1 = 24 1.00 0.13

I thought with a clearer run Sea Moon would have got up for second, but the livelier going (the colt has a preference for easy side of good) was probably not in his favour. I also thought that the ride he was given was less than ideal.

Last edited:
Just back from Doncaster... what a great race. "Attritional" is a good way of putting it. The St Leger was run in a record time into a headwind that really drew out the reserves of stamina (or the ability to sustain speed over extended distance) of those taking part. It tested the limits of individual endurance at speed. They were running close to their extent for a prolonged duration.

Masked Marvel featured at the top of the stamina aptitude table and the breakneck speed the race was run at (set by his stablemate) played exactly to his strengths. The four in the race: Masked Marvel, Brown Panther, Sea Moon and Seville also featured as the top four of the stamina aptitude table.

Horse Sire/dam sire Profile DI CD
Masked Marvel Montjeu/Mark Of Esteem 2-0-9-4-1 = 16 0.68 -0.13
Seville Galileo/Silver Hawk 3-0-16-5-2 = 26 0.73 -0.12
Brown Panther Shirocco/Unfuwain 3-0-6-1-2 = 12 1.00 0.08
Sea Moon Beat Hollow/Alleged 4-2-12-5-1 = 24 1.00 0.13

I thought with a clearer run Sea Moon would have got up for second, but the livelier going (the colt has a preference for easy side of good) was probably not in his favour. I also thought that the ride he was given was less than ideal.

superb result of the dosage Steve :cool:

Yes, if only we could have known the race would have been run at such pace (I figured the Godolphin pacemaker was there to keep the pace steady, but didn't account for Gosden's other one)... Given that it was the four picked themselves.

The tricast paid out £153.31 and the Trifecta £288.80. The only return I had was a place on Masked Marvel at 2.40 (with Seville missing out for third spot)… couldn’t get a match bet with BB.:(

Last edited:
Yes, I think the dosage system is a helpful tool in staying races.

It doesn’t have to be staying races (it’s also accurate in the Guineas, for example, but there you’d be looking for the best blend of speed and stamina, not simply those with most stamina), but it did come into its own here. Very annoying, however, that even when you have pretty much worked things out that I still couldn’t show a advantage in betting through incorrect staking.:(

Last edited:
Ballydoyle work-riders fined for laying horses

BY BRIAN FLEMING 8:00PM 27 SEP 2011

BALLYDOYLE came under the spotlight at Turf Club headquarters on Tuesday when stable employees Gosuke Motoki and Kaname Tsuge pleaded guilty to laying horses under the care and control of their boss Aidan O'Brien.

Over a three-year period up to May last year, Motoki laid 34 horses and won €1,369, but he also lost €1,415.65 in 53 separate transactions for an overall loss of €46.65.

Tsuge, who was associated with some of the yard's superstar names and was work-rider of Rip Van Winkle among others, laid 61 horses, winning €5,101.19, but lost €4,500.84, yielding an
overall profit of €600.35 from 139 bets in three and a half years.

Both men were fined €2,000 and ordered to pay costs of €350 by a committee chaired by Judge Tony Hunt and assisted by Valerie Cooper and Roy Craigie.

The two work-riders, from Japan, claimed a poor grasp of English, which was noted by the committee, as was the fact that the laying appeared to be based on perceptions rather than solid information.

Turf Club head of security Chris Gordon told the Racing Post after the hearing: "They both accepted their responsibility straight away and didn't dispute any of the facts."

He added: "They had been doing this since 2007 and it was disappointing that Betfair did not volunteer this information to us somewhat sooner rather than when the Turf Club made inquiries with them [Betfair] at the end of 2010 when we independently discovered what was going on."

Fair to say that nobody comes out of that one well.

I had a bit of a debate about this on Twitter last night, if you look at the list of bets placed, it's really a storm in a teacup given the amounts playing on the markets. They laid some horses like Yeats and Duke Of Marmalade. They also seemed to be backing and laying horses at other yards, they were just punters IMO.

I would have thought the Turf Club would have had better things to get on with than this personally.

I would think any skulduggery was a long long way from what was happening and if it was, I would suspect someone else was controlling the accounts judging from reading the report.

Back