Sussex Stakes

I'm pleased for him, has had his excuses all year and really nice to see him come right for connections who have always held him in very high regard. I did not back anything in this, just too hard to know. :)

Paco ran a blinder too.

Shame to see Forgotten Voice so far behind. Perhaps not up to this class, but has shown he is good.

Didnt expect such a performance. Very nicely done and change of tactics were perfect.

Whats the feeling about lydias comments about the stuff before the start?

Relative ratings with Lord Shanakill and Ghanaati appear to have stood up and Forgotten Voice has run on nicely for fourth so I suspect Paco Boy was at his absolute best today and Rip has, over a trip possibly not his ideal and with some concerns about his hoof, galloped them into submission.

He probably fell a little short of his Eclipse run today but he only needed one crack to stay well clear.

When people label O'Brien horses as "hype"....what was the last "hype" horse that failed to live up to being a genuinely top class Group 1 colt?

The more I think about it, the more I am swaying towards Rip Van Winkle, and think 7/4 represents a lotof value. Even if you take a negative view of the Eclipse form, this still puts him ahead of both of the other principles. Ghanaati would need to be a 126+ horse to beat him which would make her one of the best fillies of the last 10 years; I'm happy to take the chance this isn't the case. If you consider the highest rating Paco Boy has run to being around 127/128 (being generous perhaps), then he still has a pound or two to find (on his very best form).

O'Brien will set a suitably fast pace for Rip Van Winkle, and the only doubt I have is his possible resolution (doubts sowed by others more than myself!).

DO - above was my take on ratings before the race, and I think it probably aligns quite closely to what you are saying now.

When people label O'Brien horses as "hype"....what was the last "hype" horse that failed to live up to being a genuinely top class Group 1 colt?

The hype about Rip Van Winkle was completely unjustified for quite some time, and I was happy to bet against it. When he began to show on a racecourse the type of performance that justified the hype (his fifth(Derby) or sixth(Eclipse) race), I (& many others) were happy to change my opinion.

Betting on what O'Brien says is the way to the poorhouse.

Hamm..she said that the stuff about withdrawl possibility and so on was not worthy of a group one. Bit ott i felt, but theres a good interview with AOB now

What did she say?

"Stop calling me Olivia"? :lol:

She was saying that it wasn't the best thing that Rip Van Winkle's participation was in doubt right up to the off. Which it wasn't, but on the other hand its a lot better that they gave him the chance to prove he was coping than just pulling him out last night.

Sounds like the vets did a great job patching him up.

I disagree that betting on what AOB says is the way to the poorhouse Hamm, I would certainly bet that he would soon be saying "he has the speed for a july cup" :)

I disagree that betting on what AOB says is the way to the poorhouse Hamm, I would certainly bet that he would soon be saying "he has the speed for a july cup" :)

Need an over/unders market on how many times he says Listen when whatever representative of the Ballydoyle powerhouse wins the Irish Champion Stakes.

The hype about Rip Van Winkle was completely unjustified for quite some time, and I was happy to bet against it. When he began to show on a racecourse the type of performance that justified the hype (his fifth(Derby) or sixth(Eclipse) race), I (& many others) were happy to change my opinion.

Betting on what O'Brien says is the way to the poorhouse.

I am not suggesting the horse has not been hyped. I am asking when is the last time an O'Brien "hype" horse has not lived up to expectations?

Back