Sussex Stakes

Hamm..she said that the stuff about withdrawl possibility and so on was not worthy of a group one. Bit ott i felt, but theres a good interview with AOB now

When O'Brien is let speak in his own time (as Hislop did there) his interviews are far more revealing than many think. It is when he is asked stupid pointed questions that he comes out with the one liners that we all expect.

I remember O'Brien giving an absolutely fascinating interview on RTE around the George Washington 3 year old period when Robert Hall just shut up and let him speak.

Last edited:
I am not suggesting the horse has not been hyped. I am asking when is the last time an O'Brien "hype" horse has not lived up to expectations?

I'm only saying it's taken a lot of time, and that following the hype is often the way to the poorhouse. The hype nowadays tends to be more after the horse has run, when we find out he is quick enough to run in the July Cup, but has enough stamina for the Arc :D

I'm only saying it's taken a lot of time, and that following the hype is often the way to the poorhouse. The hype nowadays tends to be more after the horse has run, when we find out he is quick enough to run in the July Cup, but has enough stamina for the Arc :D

Sorry I am confused, are we talking about Oxx or O'Brien?!?

The Ballydoyle tactics should keep it as simple as possible....one pacemaker setting a good strong pace with RVW in second and then taking it up early enough to ensure he gets the rail to keep him straight. On a track like this I would have serious doubts about him keeping straight even coming just a couple of horses wide. Think the trip is in his favour though the track will test his resolution to the max - cracking race.

Glad to see O'Brien looks in on the forum now and again and takes heed.

Get the impression O'Brien has learnt alot from the last couple of season when his top horses have blitzed everything early to mid season but have probably been off their very best by Arc/Breeders Cup time. They were barely ready for the Guineas (something we should remember next year) and see to be progressing as the season goes on.

When O'Brien is let speak in his own time... his interviews are far more revealing than many think. It is when he is asked stupid pointed questions that he comes out with the ones lines that we all expect.

Yes, and he was brilliant last year after the Gold Cup, talking about Yeats's heart.

Agree about that. On occasions such as then, he is the most interesting person in racing to listen to. There was a great interview (The Indepenent?) relatively recently which you couldn't read and think he is one of the most intelligent and perceptive people in racing.*

*and spouter of an incredible amount of hype :)

Ps. Did he say Rip is the classiest horse they've had?

I thought the interview with Johnny was good. To be fair to them there has been a lot of problems with RVW and you can't blame them for that. Having physical problems does not mean that you can't still hold them in high regard talent wise.

I like Lydia but she did seem to have an angle about how Aidan was letting punters down by possibility of withdrawing the horse. Surely she would not like a repeat of Horatio Nelson where despite worries they went with the crowd and ran him?

Aidan clearly very attached to the horse.

It's a hard decision to make.

Aidan always says, 'Listen' when he is nervous, especially if talking to someone who he thinks is putting him under pressure. Even Johnny is saying it now! :lol:

I don't see it as a sign he's nervous, more that it's his way of controlling the conversation and trying to help the interviewer understand and come round to his point of view - no bad thing.

Lydia is a f*cking clown of the highest order.

I would be very suprised if O'Brien doesn't deliberately get her and Token Persad's name wrong due to the utter contempt he must feel when being questioned by both those idiots.

The hype about Rip Van Winkle was completely unjustified for quite some time, and I was happy to bet against it. When he began to show on a racecourse the type of performance that justified the hype (his fifth(Derby) or sixth(Eclipse) race), I (& many others) were happy to change my opinion.

Totally. I remember Dylan Thomas attracting a fair few critics after his run behind Manduro but the form was in the bag, same with this one.

The way he uses listen reminds of cork people saying "like" at the start and end of every sentence, and then at every pause.

When people label O'Brien horses as "hype"....what was the last "hype" horse that failed to live up to being a genuinely top class Group 1 colt?

Said this before One Cool Cat as far as I could make out he was pegasus reincarnated

Well done, Desert Orchid, and thanks for giving me the confidence to have a good bet on Rip.

Jim McGrath said after the race that Rip is an excellent horse (or words to that effect), while Sea The Stars is a once in a decade horse. I hope he's obliged to revise those opinions upwards by the end of the season.

Listen! I was put off by the betting, a thing tell everyone else not to do I'm Gutted but at the same time pleased he won, I also thought he'd gone to early in running but I'm pleased to be wrong.

Just watched the race again on Youtube. Take Rip out and Paco Boy would be hailed a scintillating winner. Ghanaati is maybe a shade off her Newmarket and Ascot form but she's been good enough to see off Lord Shanakill (good G1 form).

Note to self: don't forget to video the racing tomorrow, you tube.

I wonder if they'll dispense with the pacemaker next time and just try and do a Dubai Millennium / Hawk Wing Lockinge with him.

Imagine they will always have something stuck in to lead him early on. Major bonus that he could take it up so early and run straight as an arrow....I really do think the rail was a big big help today.

Jockey Jim Crowley reported that Lord Shanakill "pulled up a little bit lame as he slipped coming out of the stalls"

The form's therefore worthless :D

Seriously, good performance. I said he was the most likely winner :D

Back