Sussex Stakes

No, I think he is a good horse. Probably would have won. Doesn't justify the hype for me though. Couldn't make a horse a short prize favourite, dropping back 4 furlongs in trip in two races in a supposedly competitive G1 who hasn't won in over a calendar year.

And despite that is still my most likely idea of the win. I'll look elsewhere for value though.

What? A horse that ran well against one of the best we have seen in years, a terrific 1000 guineas winner and a crckaing older horse that doddled a group one last time over a mile and will possibily be running under perfect conditions/track

looks a good race to me

Have doubts about RVW dropping back and resolution perhaps on a track that can be a battle at the end. love the filly who could be the nicest 1000 guineas winner in years but PB's experience and attitude is bound to be competitive. Cant split those two

I'm onside with those who rate this race highly. It's a proper G1. At least the 'big three' are proper G1 horses, and that doesn't happen too often in G1 races these days. Too many G1s are contested by horses rated 120-124 and I find that unsatisfactory.

I also think Rip will blow the other two away and, considering how I've been banging on about Ghanaati since the 1000 Guineas, it's quite a thought.

I also think Rip will blow the other two away and, considering how I've been banging on about Ghanaati since the 1000 Guineas, it's quite a thought.

I certainly think he is capable of doing so, I think a strongly run mile will bring around further improvement. But I do no think the track will help at all.

Why don't you think the track will suit? He's not an overly big horse (or am I wrong?) - is it more to do with his quirkiness?

Why don't you think the track will suit? He's not an overly big horse (or am I wrong?) - is it more to do with his quirkiness?

He has got unbalanced at Newmarket (twice), Epsom and again at Sandown. You really do not want a horse unbalanced at Goodwood.

The one plus is I think he is finally running over the right trip and I would be really confident about his chances if this was a track like Ascot or Sandown.

I dont believe that this is his perfct trip. He looked to me that he needed further at newmarket and how many Gallileos have been best at a mile? his best run by far was in the eclipse and thats the right distance i suspect

I would not be confident at Sandown with him either. if there is a suspicion that he doesnt go past (bit harsh perhaps given STS's brilliance) then that is the worst track around for that. York could be a good one for him

Last edited:
Surprised to see no real mention for Lord Shanakill. I've priced them up

Rip 2/1
Ghanaati 3/1
Paco 4/1
Lord 7/1
Bar 10/1

Lord looks the best bet here at 14/1

Rip looks to have had a lot of excuses and for me it's really just his last piece of form which makes me like him.
Had a major bet on Ghanaati last time but I didn't think she really had to beat much, this is a much tougher race here.
Paco Boy I like but even though he's won group one I'm not 100% convinved this is his best trip.
Lord Shanakill disappointed in the guineas and then has got close to Delegator and Mastercraftsman at Royal Ascot then won a weak(ish) group one in France and I think he seems to be the forgotten horse in the race.

I dont believe that this is his perfct trip. He looked to me that he needed further at newmarket and how many Gallileos have been best at a mile? his best run by far was in the eclipse and thats the right distance i suspect

I would not be confident at Sandown with him either. if there is a suspicion that he doesnt go past (bit harsh perhaps given STS's brilliance) then that is the worst track around for that. York could be a good one for him

Newmarket Guineas run can be forgotten. Mastercraftsman needed the run (and has left that form at a mile behind him) and I expect Rip to do so to. In truth RIP looked like he needed further to 12 furlongs at Epsom so I do not think him running on it a guide to what he needs.

You possibly have a point but it could as easily be that (as I have heard before) he hits a flat spot, before running on (not the case at Sandown admittedly).

O'Brien/Murtagh are no fools; if they think he has gotten unbalanced at Newmarket and Epsom, why would they run him at Goodwood?

You possibly have a point but it could as easily be that (as I have heard before) he hits a flat spot, before running on (not the case at Sandown admittedly).

O'Brien/Murtagh are no fools; if they think he has gotten unbalanced at Newmarket and Epsom, why would they run him at Goodwood?

But he did get unbalanced and ran off a straight line at all of those tracks - we do not need to be them to see it for ourselves. Goodwood is a nasty track to do that but we'll see. Cannot wait for the race.

I would always back a good colt to beat a good filly. There will always be the exceptions but with doubts about the track for me in relation to RIP it has to be Paco Boy.

I'm probably Paco Boy's biggest fan but i'm opposing him today with Ghanaati. She's clocked comparable and better times than the boys in both her races this year carrying the same weight and the 9/4 this morning was too good. I would make her favourite (I think she could yet go off favourite) with Rip and Paco joint second favourites. I know Rip clocked a very fast time in the Eclipse but he doesn't convince me as a winning racehorse. Paco would be the main danger but I have a feeling the bird will have flown and with a strong pace I don't think he will have enough left in the tank to get to her.

I'm a bit confused about a hoof crack not being a problem for Rip. If you've cracked a fingernail and then do something active, sure, it might not bother you. But if you've cracked a toenail, the last thing you want to do is run, I'd imagine.

I have my (joint) biggest bet of the season so far on Rip (at 15/8 bpg) but I'm concerned about the little problem.

Wow Rip Van Winkle :)
Forgotten Voice ran a nice race i'm happy, STS looks even more the monster now!

Back