The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

That was my first impression as well. That said, if Elusive Pimpernel is ridden prominently (which would seem the sensible option, given that he'll surely need to be ridden that way if he is to have any chance in the Guineas) he'll take some pegging back on a track that seems to be favouring those racing prominently today. I still have a feeling he will be ultimately best suited by 10 furlongs.

I would imagine the likes of Dancing David and Morana will be dropped in in an attempt to get them to settle which may not suit ideally. I would certainly rather back Edinburgh Knight E/W than either of those mentioned above or the likes of Markaazi/Mont Agel etc; probably not quite good enough to win a Craven but seems to have a decent turn of foot and fitness virtually guaranteed. He'll do for me E/W at 10's.

Impressive stuff. Ran like a dirt horse (as you might expect being by Elusive Quality) in how he looked to get outpaced but really stormed home once he got into top gear. RP Trophy form certainly not hurt by that.

Impressive stuff. Ran like a dirt horse (as you might expect being by Elusive Quality) in how he looked to get outpaced but really stormed home once he got into top gear. RP Trophy form certainly not hurt by that.

That was really impressive - he looks a big threat to SNA if the ground rides fast.

Funny thing is, even though the ground is Good to Firm, the time is more than a second above standard, exactly the same as the RPT was. So it looks like the pace of the race was similar. Also, as people have noted, SNA is more like a Sadler's Wells than a Montjeu in appearance, and some Sadler's Wells prefer very good ground, think Yeats.

A mile on fast ground could be too short for him whether he appreciates the ground or not. A few bookies are still shorter about Canford Cliffs than EP and that can't be right. 6/1 is a very fair price.

Funny thing is, even though the ground is Good to Firm, the time is more than a second above standard, exactly the same as the RPT was. So it looks like the pace of the race was similar. Also, as people have noted, SNA is more like a Sadler's Wells than a Montjeu in appearance, and some Sadler's Wells prefer very good ground, think Yeats.

Yeah that is something to consider - I think SNA is a brilliant horse but just think on fast ground over a mile he might (just might) be vulnerable. Loved todays performance and think he is a top colt in his own right.

Paddy Power -

Canford Cliffs - 4/5
Arcano - 9/4
Dick Turpin - 7/1
Bullwhip - 10/1
RDG - 33/1

If Arcano is fit enough to do himself justice I would take him to beat and outstay CC.

9/4 about a horse that has already beaten the other horse which is 4/5 looks value. So far 2yo group form is standing up...

Inler also looks a real brute of a 3yo.. Was impressed with his work.

None of them have the grace of Sea the Stars though!!

Bullwhip looks the value there.

I think CC is terribly over rated and Arcano has apparently not wintered well despite what Meehan says in the press.

Dick Turpin nicks the Greenham (sorry).

I don't remember Canford Cliffs drifting like that last year?

Hate to say it but SNA is increasingly looking like a penalty kick. Rather be on Fencing Master EW though at the prices.

Just watched the race now - Canford Cliffs was all over the place and looked to be treading water close home. Not a miler.

Arcano was bitterly disappointing.

Why do you hate to say it? I agree about the relative prices of FM and SNA though.

I've just thought he's been over-hyped in many quarters as the next STS etc. and whilst he's a decent prospect, I never saw him as a "superstar" yet he looks like being top of his class by default more than anything.

Euro, I was more concerned by Arcano than Canford.

Just what's going to challenge SNA now? The biggest threat comes from his stablemate imo.

Back