The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

"There was a meeting at Newmarket the other day" Which produced one contender for the 2000G, and the winner of todays trial may not even turn up for the race. Big deal !

EP and SNA, thats 2 contenders.

The Middle Park winner, the Dewhurt winner and placed horses - good horses will emerge from the Guineas.

Like I said this time last year everyone was looking at Rip Van Winkle heading the Guineas market and saying what a poor race it looked.

A big contender though, and the Greenham never produces the Guineas winner anyway.

Wollow
Rodrigo de Triano

CC hung in the Morny too - I wonder whether there is not something up with the animal somewhere

Dick Turpin looks smart and interesting that Moore said he had more foot than EP

I still find it difficult to see past SNA.

While I don't fancy Canford over a mile anyway he does seem to be feeling something too I don't think he's looking for the rail, he seemed to be trying to get away from what ever is hurting him.

I don't think St Nic is over hyped he is just getting credit for what he has shown so far and I think he'll win the Guineas comfortably. I don't understand why he's not a shorter price than he is but he I'm not complaining. Dick Turpin has place claims and I wouldn't discount the him.

Last edited:
As I've said elsewhere, the trials this week have confirmed that the RP Trophy is the top piece of juvenile form, and St Nicholas Abbey goes to the Guineas justifiably as the one to beat.

Interesting, or patently obvious?

Interesting as it suggests that Moore thinks that EP might be vulnerable to a horse with a sharp turn of foot , which would rather put me off backing EP .

The 2000 isn't always run at a very fast pace and if it isn't i can see EP being very badly outpaced before finishing strongly.

Do you think the RP trophy is a good guide to the guineas though David?..it normally points to a horse that doesn't have the speed for a guineas...points to stamina...a testing 1 mile for a 2yo points to needing further than a mile at 3 situation.

I have checked back and can't find a RP Trophy winner that won the guineas since 1991..anyone know the last RP trophy winner that won the guineas?

The 2ND in the RPT has just won over 1 mile as a 3yo, the winner of the RPT produced a good turn of foot, the only ? can he do the same on G-F ground.

just checked back..since 1961 when RP Trophy started only High Top has won both races...unless i missed one :)

Trends, trends, trends.....Sea The Stars won the Beresford Stakes which is not exactly known as a Guineas trial! Footstepsinthesand won the Kilavullen Stakes, Island Sands won at Salisbury etc.

I'm not talking about trends though..I am saying that a 2yo who likes the test that is the slower ground ..usually...8f at Donny isn't a natural for the 2000 guineas as it implies more stamina than speed being suited to RP trophy

I think Dick should go to Newmarket, I don't see any advantage in waiting to travel to the Curragh and taking on 3 or 4 of O'Briens when they're starting to click and taking on Oxx's who have just walked across the plain for the race.

The 2ND in the RPT has just won over 1 mile as a 3yo, the winner of the RPT produced a good turn of foot, the only ? can he do the same on G-F ground.

that doesn't prove anything though excpet that the horse didn't have the stamina to win RP trophy..hence more speed.

I'm not talking about trends though..I am saying that a 2yo who likes the test that is the slower ground ..usually...8f at Donny isn't a natural for the 2000 guineas as it implies more stamina than speed being suited to RP trophy

Ok fair enough - I think genuinely fast ground is a fair concern for SNA supporters. But given how he has quickened up off a slow gallop from off the pace suggests a strongly run mile should suit him well enough.

Trends, trends, trends.....Sea The Stars won the Beresford Stakes which is not exactly known as a Guineas trial! Footstepsinthesand won the Kilavullen Stakes, Island Sands won at Salisbury etc.

Island Sands won over 6f though..not 8f..Donny over 8f is a long way for a 2yo especially in the ground that is usually on offer there in RP trophy

Galileo , those 3 horses FSITS, STS, and Island Sands, all won their last 2 races before the Guineas , and all were unbeaten apart from STSs who was 4th in his first race as a 2yo.

Back