The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

Latest ground report -

[SIZE=+0]Good (Good To Firm in places) (Will water as necessary)[/SIZE] Sunday Showers pm 3-4mm Monday-Wednesday Dry with sunny spells 20-21C Thursday-Saturday Cooler with showers possible [SIZE=+0]10mm applied to the course on Friday[/SIZE]

A bit of advanced info:

22 will be confirmed for 2,000 Guineas:

The five not running from the previous list of 27 are:

Arcano
Dubawi Phantom
Fighting Brave
Iver Bridge Lad
Meezaan

No supplementary entries.

Glad to see Fighting Brave is out - was afraid he was going to be a pacemaker and I hope he is better than that.

Who's your fancy Steve?

Al Zir (USA) 3.c
Arry's Orse 3.c
Audacity of Hope 3.c
Awzaan 3.c
Buzzword 3.c
Canford Cliffs (IRE) 3.c
Dick Turpin (IRE) 3.c
Elspeth's Boy (USA) 3.c
Elusive Pimpernel (USA) 3.c
Fair Trade 3.c
Fencing Master 3.c
Free Judgement (USA) 3.c
Greyfriarschorista 3.c
Hearts of Fire 3.c
Inler (IRE) 3.c
Lord Zenith 3.c
Makfi 3.c
Poet's Voice 3.c
Red Jazz (USA) 3.c
St Nicholas Abbey (IRE) 3.c
Viscount Nelson (USA) 3.c
Xtension (IRE) 3.c

Fallon not down for any horse yet - you would think if he is to ride for O'Brien this season Fencing Master would be the type of horse they would want to get him on.

No point in jumping ship now, will continue to tip away at St Nick.

I was impressed by the manner of Dick Ts (not to be confused with tease) win in the Greenham. Loved the way he ran straight as an arrow, I think he will go well and will finish in front of Canford again.

Al Zir looks the Godolphin number 1. Few quid for him as well - get the impression the Godolphin horses will be more forward this time around than recent seasons.

I suspect the Mark Johnston second-string, Greyfriarschorista, will be looking to get to the front.

The buzz for SNA has really grown in the last week or so - provided the ground is not an issue we could see a special performance on Saturday. Given his nature I do not think lack of fitness will be an issue (as it has been in the past for some Ballydoyle Guineas contenders).

I'm really not convinced that SNA is going to be able to win on Saturday think there are too many factors against him. What I'm also tending to recall is Crowded House posting a similar performance in the RP Trophy just as visually impressive but again never progressed on from it.

It is a fair while since the leading O'Brien two year old has not trained on...going back to One Cool Cat I'd say.

I'm really not convinced that SNA is going to be able to win on Saturday think there are too many factors against him. What I'm also tending to recall is Crowded House posting a similar performance in the RP Trophy just as visually impressive but again never progressed on from it.

It is a fair while since the leading O'Brien two year old has not trained on...going back to One Cool Cat I'd say.

That's a very fair point just have this nagging feeling about him with the lack of improvement in his sister and the fact he showed so so much as a 2 year old he might not be the typical Montjeu that improves with age. I hope I'm wrong to an extent as would love to see an extraordinary performance that seems to go with the hype although i will be significantly poorer for it!

When does "fair expectation" become "hype"?

I know he's been mentioned before (by betsmate at least, I think) but the Middle Park winner Awzaan still looks a fair price at 8s, and Fencing Master (16s) still could be anything.

At a big price, the Godolphin number two number one (if you get my meaning) Buzzword is the kind that could run into a place at a big price.

Judging from the Craven, there's no reason to think St Nicholas Abbey needs to improve to win a Guineas. The only unknown for me with him is the ground, but that is just that, an unknown and not a negative. I very rarely bet such short odds, particularly in such races where the form is there for all to see, but I think the trip is a negative for Awzaan and Canford Cliffs. I think the Dewhurst form is ordinary (remind me of this statement when I get my wang out over Steinbeck!!) again and I can't really come up with any reason at all for Al Zir and ELusive Pimpernel to turn round the RP Trophy form. If the ground was good to soft, I'd have him a shade of odds on, and think 13/8 overcompensates for the unknown regarding ground

Did One Cool Cat fail to train on, or was his 2-y-o form just not that strong. He was rated 118p by Timeform at 2 and 121 at 3.

Did One Cool Cat fail to train on, or was his 2-y-o form just not that strong. He was rated 118p by Timeform at 2 and 121 at 3.

Fair point - perhaps I should say, the last of their top two year olds that failed to go on and achieved as much as predicted.

The Crowded House comparison doesn't work for me as the animals behind him were not of the same standard as SNA's victims. New Approach is a more apt comparison. I top, top 2yo who needed a fair bit further to be seen at his best.

I've backed Awzaan at 10s on the machine to go with the 6s I took about Elusive Pimpernel after the Craven.

i don't think fast ground will be an issue..they'll water the fook out of it...that could the issue...it will be unevenly done and loose on top..typical Newmarket fare

i still don't see the fav doing it with 3 x 8f runs a 2yo..he will want further imo..unless he is that rare thing..a freak like STS..couldn't be taking that price on that being the case though

either way it adds interest to the race

Back