The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

Don't know how soft the ground was on RP day but this will be the fastest ground SNA will have run on

If the rain does not come before the Guineas I could see SNA drift on the day.

ELusive Pimpernel looks like the one to be the major benefactor given the conditions.

Timeform called the ground good to soft. But looking at the times in more detail, it was closer to good than it was to soft.

Last edited:
i don't think fast ground will be an issue..they'll water the fook out of it...that could the issue...it will be unevenly done and loose on top..typical Newmarket fare

i still don't see the fav doing it with 3 x 8f runs a 2yo..he will want further imo..unless he is that rare thing..a freak like STS..couldn't be taking that price on that being the case though

either way it adds interest to the race

If it's quick he won't win - He has got a really high knee action and I wouldn't want to touch him on that ground. I'm not usually someone who lays horses but i'm considering taking him on. There are plenty of good animals in this race, too many for a 6/4 favourite.

Don't know how soft the ground was on RP day but this will be the fastest ground SNA will have run on

If the rain does not come before the Guineas I could see SNA drift on the day.

ELusive Pimpernel looks like the one to be the major benefactor given the conditions.

Would very much agree - EP may well be the horse to revel in the ground.

The performance of SNA in the Racing Post was as good as I 've seen from a 2yo in a long time. Elusive Pimpernel is going to be a top horse, but I feel SNA will be too good for him.

The ground up Doncaster RP trophy day was nowhere near good imo when the horses came in they were splattered with mud and their hoofs were caked in it to.

I see now that Canford Cliffs was " electric " on Sunday as well as the ravings about Al Zir 's gallop .

Fallon down to ride Audacity Of Hope - not good for his prospects of getting on some Ballydoyle horses later I wouldn't have thought.

Must have done well from 2-3 as you didn't rate him at all last season?

He's completely different this season. He's the finished article. I didn't like him at all last year and saw him listed / group 3 max. On what he has shown in the month he has been back, he looks top draw standard and the way he pulled clear of a group 1 winner in a recent gallop suggests he is very classy. I think he is an absolute moral on Saturday, he looks a good 2 stone better than he did last year.

I'd struggle to call anything in a Guineas field an "absolute moral" let alone one with SNA and CC in.

I think he is an absolute moral on Saturday, he looks a good 2 stone better than he did last year.

111p with timeform last year. So that would make him 139. To be fair that makes him a cert. Nothing since Bigadier Gerard (141) has run to 139 in the Guineas on the day

I think he is an absolute moral on Saturday, he looks a good 2 stone better than he did last year.

Very bullish (...can he really have improved that much?). I take it you mean "mortal" (as in mortal lock, i.e. certainty), unless you mean he also has high standards of personal behaviour.;)

EP for all that he was very impressive last time did hang out to his right a little and he does hit the ground pretty hard.

Take out SNA of the RP Trophy and he would have been an impressive winner on soft ground.

EP for all that he was very impressive last time did hang out to his right a little and he does hit the ground pretty hard.

Take out SNA of the RP Trophy and he would have been an impressive winner on soft ground.

The faster they go the better for him I think.

At the moment we hope to run all three of our horses in the stanjames.com 2000 Guineas on Saturday in Newmarket, all three horses have come through their preparations well.
Our jockey arrangements are as follows;
St Nicholas Abbey - Johnny Murtagh
Fencing Master - Colm O Donoghue
Viscount Nelson - Kieran Fallon

At the moment we hope to run all three of our horses in the stanjames.com 2000 Guineas on Saturday in Newmarket, all three horses have come through their preparations well.
Our jockey arrangements are as follows;
St Nicholas Abbey - Johnny Murtagh
Fencing Master - Colm O Donoghue
Viscount Nelson - Kieran Fallon

I wonder what Charlie McBride thinks ?:cool:

I wonder what Seamie Heffernan thinks? To be fair on last year O'Donoghue deserves it but I would have thought Heffernan would have got the Viscount Nelson ride.

Campanologist

Without wanting to sound like a cock, Campanologist isn't a Group 1 winner. Surely any Guineas contender would want to be skipping clear of a genuine Group 2 10-12f horse anyway at this stage. That said, I obviously didn't see the gallop.

I haven't a clue about the Guineas this year. I have a sneaking feeling that both Elusive Pimpernel (the 'what did he beat?' question in the Craven is in my head?) and Fencing Master are 10f horses, whilst I couldn't be backing Awzaan or Canford Cliffs to get the mile myself. Not sure what to make of St. Nicholas Abbey at all.

Back