The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

Interesting to hear Segal moot yard form as a possible negative against St. Nicholas Abbey. Remember exactly the same talk before George Washington's Guineas. Absolutely nothing to worry about for me there anyway.

Just weighing it up, does that leave the ground as the only really pressing concern then? If anything he surely has as much scope to improve in a faster run race as Elsuive Pimpernel. I'm just not sure really - 6/4 is a watching price for me.

What do the speed lads make of it? I'd have thought SNA is very opposable on the speed figures he posted last year?

What do the speed lads make of it? I'd have thought SNA is very opposable on the speed figures he posted last year?

That is the question... He's undoubtedly got the stamina, has he also got the speed? He doesn't look lacking in that department to me. If he wins on Saturday the Triple Crown will be looking up for grabs. He looks like some sort of Nijinsky to me.

But I'd say whatever he does at a mile he'll outperform at middle-distances.

Last edited:
Weather Forecast
Wednesday: Dry with sunny spells 20-21C
Thursday: Dry am Showers pm
Friday-Saturday: Cooler with rain at times 6mm 16-17C
Sunday: Cooler with light showers still possible 12C

Interesting to hear Segal moot yard form as a possible negative against St. Nicholas Abbey. Remember exactly the same talk before George Washington's Guineas. Absolutely nothing to worry about for me there anyway.

Ballydoyle winners before Guineas meeting,

2010 10
2009 3
2008 6
2007 9

you could make the case that the stable is actually in good form.

Segal was comparing the form of Fame And Glory with the likely form of SNA. What he doesn't seem to get is that F&G isn't being prepared for one of his big season targets yet when SNA will have been.

Ballydoyle was full of the fact that their 3yos weren't ready this time last year. Similar warnings have not been sounded this year though (other than Steinbeck and Beethoven having slight setbacks). I'm expecting big efforts from SNA and Fencing Master this time.

I've backed SNA at 3/1 and 5/2 and am happy to stick with that. I'm also on Awzaan and Canford Cliffs, both at double-digits.

I'd expect EP to go well, but he doesn't seem to quicken instantly (although a fast pace would help his cause). Inler and Xtension are quite interesting, as are Dick T and Al Zir.

Should be a cracker.

Last edited:
I just love the 2000 Guineas. We will have so maoy answers Saturday evening about the season ahead.

They say that racing lacks narrative, but from the Guineas, you soon get Chester, then York, onto the Derby then Royal Ascot and from there you get the horses that have shone their attempt to enhance their reputation in races like the Eclipse, Juddmonte, Leger, Arc. Rock on!

I just love the 2000 Guineas. We will have so maoy answers Saturday evening about the season ahead.

That period of time that they load up before the off is the flat equivalent of the Cheltenham roar before the Supreme Novices.

I'm against the favourite as much as anyone but Tom's reasonings are woeful.

They say that racing lacks narrative, but from the Guineas, you soon get Chester, then York, onto the Derby then Royal Ascot and from there you get the horses that have shone their attempt to enhance their reputation in races like the Eclipse, Juddmonte, Leger, Arc. Rock on!

Absolutely....the move to Chester is fantastic. Still evaluating the Guineas result while starting the Derby trials on a unique track.

I was against Canford Cliffs last year when he opposed Arcano and was dissappointed with both their reappearances this time around. There's a nagging doubt with CC about the trip, but from a value point of view have taken 10/1 with Skybet on R Hughes to be placed in both Guineas, the ground might just help him get the trip enough for a place.

19 declared.

Al Zir
Audacity Of Hope
Awzaan
Buzzword
Canford Cliffs
Dick Turpin
Elspeth's Boy
Elusive Pimpernel
Fair Trade
Fencing Master
Greyfriarschoirista
Hearts Of Fire
Inler
Lord Zenith
Makfi
Red Jazz
St Nicholas Abbey
Viscount Nelson
Xtension

The first one could be from Tom Segal on Saturday. Is this the last chance we get to back St Nicholas Abbey at odds against? :D

I think 7/4 against for the Derby now is probably better value than 6/4 for the Guineas... I still think he's clear favourite for the Guineas, but right now his Derby bid looks compelling.

I was against Canford Cliffs last year when he opposed Arcano and was dissappointed with both their reappearances this time around. There's a nagging doubt with CC about the trip, but from a value point of view have taken 10/1 with Skybet on R Hughes to be placed in both Guineas, the ground might just help him get the trip enough for a place.

It's hard to see Canford out of the frame, then again I have the same feeling about at least a couple of others, so there's not much room for error. I'd be fairly sure CC can finish in front of DT (assuming he takes part) and on balance I think the mile will be just about okay. He seems to quicken once, but brilliantly, which could be decisive.

I'm definitely siding with the Dewhurst/Greenham form over the RP Trophy/Craven form myself; on the clock it's not even a contest. The fav is a worthy fav but I'd much rather take him on EW with 2 or 3 others than back him.

Wish I'd snapped up the 33s on Betfair for Dick Turpin now.

It would be dangerous to assume St Nicholas Abbey can't run a fast time at a mile on the basis that he hasn't had the opportunity to do so.

Back