The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

...he also said they thought twice about running him in the Racing Post Trophy because of the easy going.

Yeah I saw that... Probably evens. I can't believe that a horse whose aptitude is suited to middle-distances (and is expected to come on for the run) will go odds-on. Infact he'll need to be brilliant to win... but I think he very probably is.

Last edited:
I'm increasingly warming to the idea of Fencing Master also running a big one.

Fencing Master was the one I took out of the Dewhurst at the time - I think he will run a big race tomorrow but improve again significantly for it. Strikes me as the type to rack up a few Group1's this season similar to his sire.

What are the chances of them splitting?

Agree re Fencing Galileo

I sincerely hope they go the Oratorio/Mastercrastman route with FM and run him in the Irish 2000 next (as I have an uncomfortably large bet on him ew at 33s with Ladbrokes)

Fencing Master and Canford Cliffs will be my two on the day I reckon (With the caveat with Fencing master of how fit he looks)...

By Paul Eacott 4:24PM 30 APR 2010 PUNTERS were on Friday afternoon piling into St Nicholas Abbey for the StanJames.com 2,000 Guineas and some bookmakers predicted he could well go off the shortest price favourite since Xaar was beaten at 10-11 in 1999.
Boylesports, Coral and Totepsort all go evens, with the 6-4 available on Friday morning long since gone. The best price available late on Friday was the 5-4 with Betfredand Sportingbet.

Coral spokesman David Stevens said: "Punters were quick to react to Aidan O'Brien's report that all was well with the ante-post favourite, and with the form of his Racing Post Trophy win working out particularly well, the colt could even be sent off at odds-on as he begins his campaign to emulate the mighty Sea The Stars."
William Hill went 11-4 (from 7-2) about the Montjeu colt completing the Guineas-Derby double.
Their spokeswoman Kate Miller said: ‘'It is rare that a mature market like the 2,000 Guineas sees a move of this magnitude so close to the race.
"Punters clearlycan't have anything but the favourite, and we can't cut his odds quickly enough at the moment. If the impetus continues, he will almost certainly go off odds-on."

Fencing Master and Canford Cliffs will be my two on the day I reckon (With the caveat with Fencing master of how fit he looks)...

I hope you haven't lost your money yet on Canford Cliffs, Aragorn; according to the strapline on the picture of him on the TTF pages in today's Racing Post [p23], he'll be running in the 1000 Guineas.

Evens now with Ladbrokes and Corals - will he go odds on? TDK be interested to know is it the bookies just taking no chances or is it serious money.

Evens now with Ladbrokes and Corals - will he go odds on? TDK be interested to know is it the bookies just taking no chances or is it serious money.

Like I say PP report "taking fortunes". Seems there is maximum confidence in him.

I hope you haven't lost your money yet on Canford Cliffs, Aragorn; according to the strapline on the picture of him on the TTF pages in today's Racing Post [p23], he'll be running in the 1000 Guineas.

Equine Plastic surgery? Is there no morality?! :)

Back