The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

those first two in RP Trophy sort of confirm that that race points to horses needing further than the guineas at 3 imo..as confirmed by last 50 years results

I usually wait until I have the form book instalment in before arriving at a figure but my gut instinct is that Makfi is on a par with Haafd, which is pretty good. The next three home are probably 120+, making it as strong a race in depth as we've had for some time. Some of those not much further back, however, might well be flattered by the bare form if, as has been suggested, they didn't go very fast in the first half of the race.

What would you make of these figures...

They are my average ratings for the first third of the field home for the last few years. Obviously this year's figure is provisional and I have gone with RPRs for Henrythenavigator's year rather than my own figures since I think I went too high in the first place.

2010 - 121
2009 - 120
2008 - 116 (my own would have been well over 120)
2007 - 118
2006 - 115

One might argue that Sea The Stars might not have won the Guineas if it had been as strong in depth as today's...

I had Elusive Pimpernel on 120 (above average) for the Craven, with Dick Turpin 121? (well above avergae) in the Greenham.

I think most ratings people felt it was a very strong renewal today.

Last edited:
could be..it just didn't look impressive as it panned out..possibly winner not being expected either throws doubt over it for me..yes unbeaten ..but had winner shown enough to win like that?...? marks for me

I would give the winner the benefit of the doubt but raise a few question marks with the hannon pair confirming form with a couple of those in behind in a strongly run mile race.

Unfortunately the Guineas today did not work out as hoped. There was little or no pace early on and the race turned into a bit of a sprint home. St Nicholas Abbey ran quite well considering, he raced a bit fresh early but was coming home well at the finish. We will see how he comes out of the race and if everything goes according to plan we will aim him for the Investec Derby next.
Fencing Master ran well for his first start of the season, he would probably have preferred a stronger pace as well, if all is well in the coming weeks we would like to go to the Irish Guineas next with him.
Viscount Nelson reared up and got quite upset in the stalls, Kieran thought that he moved beautifully to the start but didn't pick up in the middle of the race as he felt he would do.

Worth pointing out that it's a huge result for Dubawi, too.

I suspect Sheikh Mohammed is even more pleased with Makfi's win than he would have been if Al Zir had won. I know Medaglio d'Oro is also his stallion, but he must be over the moon with this first-crop Classic success for the son of his beloved Dubai Millenium.

Looking forward to Echo of Light's progeny. Are they yearlings now?

Nice winner. Remains unbeaten. If there was an unlucky horse (and I thought there probably wasn't) it was Canford Cliffs, who should have been ridden more aggressively to get the trip, rather than nursed through it. Canford looks the St James's Palace winner to me rather than a July Cup winner.

Awzaan ran too bad to be true. The pace of the race wouldn't have helped SNA, but he wouldn't have won anyway, but he looks like he'll come on a ton.

Have they published the List of Excuses yet? We get these after every major race, like a Chinese takeaway menu. Choose one from Column A (ground) and one from Column B (draw) and you get one free (interference midfield).

to be fair..AOB can never blame pace in these races..he runs enough horses to make the pace he wants anyway..he didn't do that yesterday..suggesting he knew that SNA would not win even with a strong pace.

suggesting he knew that SNA would not win even with a strong pace.

Or that he thought he didn't need a strong pace, or that he thought (like most Guineas) it would be strongly run without a pacemaker needed etc etc.

Or that he thought he didn't need a strong pace, or that he thought (like most Guineas) it would be strongly run without a pacemaker needed etc etc.

he isn't the type of man to leave pace to chance..he has proven how pace is a very important factor when he wants a result..it looks to me like he was happy to prep SNA..why would you leave pace to chance in a race this important?

Neither Guineas made me particularly go 'Wow, what great performances'. They were competent, workmanlike races but neither to me looked to be exceptional - although time will tell on that.

Maybe it was the combined factors of a particularly long, hard winter and the fact the first two Classics were as early in the season as it's possible for them to be ?

Johnny Murtagh on ATR this a.m. saying SNA was unbalanced for more than two furlongs and that he spent much of his time trying to organise him. Perhaps the horse didn't enjoy the bustle of a big, fast race and became unsettled. Had he shown any signs of being a bit on his toes before starting? The shots we saw of him, he looked just fine to me.

Back