The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

yes agree CR was probably a better horse ..but a full second is a lot..so must have been pace

its so hard to do visual sectionals from Newmarket..pity

Hughes is reported as saying that Canford Cliffs did not really handle the dip but Makfi looked to me just to find more when CC challenged.

DT was formidable on soft ground last year and could be hard to beat in the I 2000 rain or shine.

Canford in his last two races has looked to me as if when he goes looking for that devastaing turn of foot he has it's not there. I would be confident that over 6f it would be there. Hope they don't ruin him.

I think both Dick Turpin and Canford Cliffs will be 7 furlongs horses.

And yet if Canford was ridden more aggressively (like he did get the mile) he may well have won. The dip seemed to catch him out (as Ardross mentions), but surely the St James's Palace rather than the Jersey will be his target now.

Whereas DT must surely go for the Irish Guineas.

Last edited:
And yet if Canford was ridden more aggressively (like he did get the mile) he may well have won. The dip seemed to catch him out (as Ardross mentions), but surely the St James's Palace rather than the Jersey will be his target now.

Whereas DT must surely go for the Irish Guineas.

I personally think if he was ridden more handy he would have finished weaker - the slowly run mile was his best chance.

I personally think if he was ridden more handy he would have finished weaker - the slowly run mile was his best chance.

He was one of the very few that was finishing though. While he will be effective at 7 furlongs, the Ascot mile is surely right up his street.

Considering Canford refused to settle and was fighting Hughes for the first two furlongs suggests to me that if you could switch him off he would easily get the trip.

I'm pretty sure he stays but he's not nearly as good as they thought he was after Royal Ascot last year - at least he won't be at a mile.

Would back the winner to confirm form with any of those in behind - Lemaire hardly touched him to quicken clear of the beaten horses.

Hopefully they don't go the way of Winker Watson with him and take 2 years to realise the horse just isn't that good anymore.

I agree that Makfi was a worthy winner I was very impressed by him in the Djebel and thought he was very overpriced ( but didn't get do anything about getting any 33s unfortunately) - his Tote odds properly reflected his form chance .

I'm pretty sure he stays but he's not nearly as good as they thought he was after Royal Ascot last year - at least he won't be at a mile.

I'm astonished you say that. He seems likely to prove every bit as good as he was last season if not better, if indeed he hasn't already proved that.

I wouldn't mind half a dozen this good!

I can't see him winning a good race over a mile the way he won the Coventry Steve.

The way people were talking about him after the Coventry you'd be expecting him to be winning these Group 1 mile races by 3 or 4 lengths.

Anyone else see Malcolm Heyhoe's analysis of the race on RPTV? His Weekender columns are usually good but he has totally got the wrong end of the stick here. Absolute drivel.

Anyone know when the next declaration stage is for the Irish Guineas?

I'm planning on having a lumpy bet on Steinbeck for this. I fancy we didn't see the best miler of the generation on saturday, although Mafki won't line up in Ireland so it won't matter too much.

I'm planning on having a lumpy bet on Steinbeck for this. I fancy we didn't see the best miler of the generation on saturday, although Mafki won't line up in Ireland so it won't matter too much.

Monday 17th May.
What are we looking at? Dick Turpin, Xtension, Fencing Master very likely from the English Guineas.
Steinbeck (you can have 5-2 with PP now), Keredari and Free Judgement have also been mentioned as on target for it.
Other possibles: Noll Wollop, Beethoven, Jan Vermeer, Dynasty, Elusive Pimpernel ????????

It should be a decent race.

It should and I won't be taking 5-2 (Jokers) but I really fancy him... Reading between the lines from all the comments emanating from Ballydoyle I think this fella is their best 3yo. He ran a cracker in the dewhurst and was unlucky given the other three came down the middle and he was probably lacking fitness as well. It was the speed and acceleration he showed that I liked. He quickened again off what was a fast pace anyway and that takes some doing in a Group 1. He didn't see it out but I think he'll get the mile well this year. Only concern would be the possibility of soft ground as his dad was a good ground horse and Steinbeck looks similar.

Anyone else see Malcolm Heyhoe's analysis of the race on RPTV? His Weekender columns are usually good but he has totally got the wrong end of the stick here. Absolute drivel.

Yep... Not exactly insightful and he managed to put up? Well not a lot really..

I'm a big fan of Steinbeck too.

Back