The 2014 Punchestown Festival

I'd take Faugheen over Vautor

Yes but for what?

It won't be which will make the better hurdler that will make up WM's mind he's way to smart for that.

Faugheen looked very straight forward yesterday and the way he measures his fences he will make a brilliant chaser.

Vautor on the otherhand gets himself into abit of a pickle at some of his hurdles. He clever enough to get away with it but he's no where near are compact with his jumping as Faugheen was yesterday.

On one occasions at Cheltenham Vautour looked like an accident waiting to happen...........by that I mean he took a chance he'd be lucky to get away with over fences, when he took a dive at the 3rd last.

Faugheen may well prove to be the better but it will be over fences IMO not over hurdles.

Vatour who looks a bit more of a charachter to me may not quite ready to be going chasing and that might be which decides what goes where.

Last edited:
Yesterday was the day of a come back for Sizing Europe could Long Run do the same? If he does you can mark me down as having lost in that race.

I've never been a fan of the horse and I am an even lesser fan of First Luietenant but I got a feeling today will be the day if I don't back him I will end up with egg on my face.

It's not the best race he's run in this season and there's no one better than BG to have him in the right place at the right time.

I do like the favourite as he's a great traveller but he went off the boil after a good run in the National and might do the same after a very hard race in the Gold Cup.

I'll take a chance with FL

Last edited:
Like you Tanlic, I'm giving First Lieutenant ONE LAST CHANCE.....not the first time i've said that...

I do love the horse, but after Aintree I said never again. I felt that was his chance for a big pot. BUT, with the ground drying, first time blinkers and BG in the saddle again, I'm willing to give him another chance in a field below stellar class. Particularly considering his price and the Powers' MBS. I really hope he wins, the horse deserves it as does Mouse.

The applied cheekpieces to FL 11 races ago, and he's won just once since. :) Can't see past Boston Bob, myself.
Sizing Granite's a horse they think a lot of, and with improvement expected for both the better ground and step up in trip, couldn't see him out of the first 3.
Any double figure price will do nicely.

Yes but for what?

It won't be which will make the better hurdler that will make up WM's mind he's way to smart for that.

Faugheen looked very straight forward yesterday and the way he measures his fences he will make a brilliant chaser.

Vautor on the otherhand gets himself into abit of a pickle at some of his hurdles. He clever enough to get away with it but he's no where near are compact with his jumping as Faugheen was yesterday.

On one occasions at Cheltenham Vautour looked like an accident waiting to happen...........by that I mean he took a chance he'd be lucky to get away with over fences, when he took a dive at the 3rd last.

Faugheen may well prove to be the better but it will be over fences IMO not over hurdles.

Vatour who looks a bit more of a charachter to me may not quite ready to be going chasing and that might be which decides what goes where.

Walsh and Ricci both said without hesitation that Faugheen is not as good a jumper as Vautor.

I think from listening to them on RTÉ yesterday that Faugheen is their Champion Hurdle horse next year, with Vautour possibly going chasing.

Only three runners in CH , Jezki, Hurricane Fly and Steps To Freedom

and only five in the Tattersalls Champion Novice Hurdle

Vautour, Lac Fontana, Lieutenant Colonel, Apache Stronghold & Noble Emperor.

why the hell have they left capt cee bee out?

the fly will hack up if the CH hasn't left a mark

Or alternatively, if the Fly gets beaten, the CH will get the blame? :lol:
You'd have to wonder if Jessica's other horse isn't there to make the pace; big exam for AP's pace judgement, otherwise.

Last edited:
Only three runners in CH , Jezki, Hurricane Fly and Steps To Freedom

and only five in the Tattersalls Champion Novice Hurdle

Vautour, Lac Fontana, Lieutenant Colonel, Apache Stronghold & Noble Emperor.

As you can imagine, I have been piling into The Fly since betting opened, and a three-runner event sits just fine with me.

A win might help offset the ante-post bets I've had on Vautour for next year's CH, after Faugheen hacked-up yesterday......though it's worth bearing in mind that the CH is no place for a ropey-jumper, and if the yard view Vautour as the better of the pair, it doesn't necessarily follow that he will go novice-chasing, with Faugheen staying over hurdles. You need to be super-slick at your obstacles to win a CH, and Faugheen might still have more to do to truly stamp himself as the yard's hope for the race next season.

Argocat has seemingly improved a stone this season in two races since February, including at Aintree. Still only a 6 year old, he is very appealing at these odds in the Gold Cup, and also the type of horse I would like to back.

Medermit looks right for an e/w saver too.

Last edited:
Three interest me at Punchestown today but I should stress I didn't go through the form in any detail.

Beat That was mightily impressive at Aintree and I rate him a lot better than the officials.

I think Long Run is still capable of a big show against substandard opponents. I reckon if Aintree was the plan then he wouldn't have been 110% at Cheltenham. He might be here.

Shot From The Hip looks a decent price on a reasonable mark in the big handicap chase.

Unusual to watch FL without having any money on. Another nightmare loss for the horse. Quotes under 20/1 about Boston Bob for the Gold Cup are ridiculous. He'll be completely outpaced in an average renewal and his stable has much better candidates.

The Grade 1 NH left me a tad underwhelmed and my Twitter feed was awash with RSA winner! nonsense after the race.

Hurricane Fly has a lot more speed than Jezki so I imagine the idea is force Jezki to make the running because if he doesn't Hurricane Fly will murder him for toe.

If he does make the running Hurricane Fly will murder him for toe.

Did I mention Hurricane Fly will murder him for toe?:eek:

Next season's staying chase division looks pretty desperate.

Shite, in fact.

I sincerely hope that Cue Card recovers fully, and finds 3 furlongs worth of stamina under a pile of hay, during his time-off - or it could be painful viewing/betting at the top-end next season.

He still hasn't run in a high level race run at a good pace though.

Wasn't shaping at all badly in a truly run RyanAir - considering it was too short for him. Wouldn't be my idea of a GC winner though.
Given his ground, Silviniaco C. has a better chance than most allow, too.

Given his ground, Silviniaco C. has a better chance than most allow, too.

Not a Cheltenham horse.

I think Grassy is being a bit of a meanie. SDC could bounce back, Taquin de Seuill's form has been franked since Cheltenham, Champagne Fever is in the mix and hopefully after he wins tomorrow Fingal Bay will be sent back over fences next season as well.

Last edited:
Not a Cheltenham horse.

I think Grassy is being a bit of a meanie. SDC could bounce back, Taquin de Seuill's form has been franked since Cheltenham, Champagne Fever is in the mix and hopefully after he wins tomorrow Fingal Bay will be sent back over fences next season as well.

Were Simonsig to win the KG, he would be an interesting contender for the GC

A few are interesting, Euro (I'd include Champagne Fever in that bracket) but nothing inspires a deep sense of anticipation.

Maybe I am being mean, and something will surprise me?

Last edited:
It's possible. Holywell looked very good at Aintree. And I thought that Morning Assembly stayed on well in the RSA but he was poor yesterday.

Back