The 2015 Crabbies Grand National

I'm not sure training Spring Heeled for the National was the best way to go about things.

Nicky Henderson had said he wouldn't be training Triolo D'Alene for it this year because they seem determined to ensure the going description contains the word 'soft'. I'm not sure that kind of going would help SH's cause.

I plan to make a proper start on the National form later this week. No doubt there will be one or two Cheltenham performances that will appeal to me.

I would love to see Coneygree go at those fences one day.

Last edited:
I'm not sure training Spring Heeled for the National was the best way to go about things.

Nicky Henderson had said he wouldn't be training Triolo D'Alene for it this year because they seem determined to ensure the going description contains the word 'soft'. I'm not sure that kind of going would help SH's cause.

I plan to make a proper start on the National form later this week. No doubt there will be one or two Cheltenham performances that will appeal to me.

I would love to see Coneygree go at those fences one day.
The point about the possible soft ground is definitely valid. He does want decent ground, but he's more likely to get that in April, and surely Gd-St (which Aintree would be happy with, barring a downfall?) would be fine for him?

As for the best way to go about things, ultimately we only ever know the right decision afterwards. :)
He's got placed form behind Gold Cup third Road To Riches.
If it were no worse than Gd-St I think he'll be on plenty of shortlists come the day.
Thanks for that info Archie I thought they'd all be NRNB by now?

Last edited:
The point about the possible soft ground is definitely valid. He does want decent ground, but he's more likely to get that in April, and surely Gd-St (which Aintree would be happy with, barring a downfall?) would be fine for him?

As for the best way to go about things, ultimately we only ever know the right decision afterwards. :)
He's got placed form behind Gold Cup third Road To Riches.
If it were no worse than Gd-St I think he'll be on plenty of shortlists come the day.
Thanks for that info Archie I thought they'd all be NRNB by now?

What puts me off Spring Heeled is that Culloty has not had a single winner all season.

Plus Cause of Causes would probably have beaten him at last years festival off level weights had he not clouted the last. He then went back to win the 4 miler this year and will be 3lb better off with Spring Heeled at Aintree but is currently 33/1 compared to the 20s about the Irish horse.

Elliot has already indicated that they will look at Aintree and if he does go there he must have a chance and it'd only be his age (7) that would concern me.

I'm not looking beyond PN's horse I can't see him losing barring accidents.

Not often I'll only back one horse in the race but I have 3 times.......They were......1. Foinavon......I wish :lol:

Totally irrelevant what they were really but I did ok.......so this will be number 4 if I can remember it's name in time:blink:....rest are a waste of money imo

Not only will Cause Of Causes be 3lbs better off but he'll almost certainly be a good 7lbs higher the next time he's rated for a handicap in this country so he, like other recent winners Rocky Creek and The Druids Nephew, will be officially well in. He certainly shouldn't be 33/1. He should probably be about the same price as Rocky Creek.

That's him Rocky Creek........he'll win the National trust me...reminds me of Rhyme n Reason....not quite top class but tailor made to win a National

This wee discussion had me checking through the results during the week.

There's one obvious line thrown up that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

While we're all latching on to Cause Of Cause's prospects, are we in danger of not seeing the wood for the trees? Broadway Buffalo, despite a blunder at a crucial stage, was beaten just 1.5 lengths. He'll be 9lbs better off with COC at Aintree.

Plenty of people will latch on to the fact that as a 7yo the stats are very strongly pitched against him. But he's 50/1 NRNB with Bet365 with 5 places on offer. I'm on.

If he doesn't get in, no harm done. If they decide he's too young, no harm done. If he runs, he'll be a lot less than 50/1, presenting an opportunity to lay off to no risk.

Normally I'd be very reluctant myself to select a 7yo. But how many of that age with his level of form have tried?

When the new ORs come out during the week I expect his to have been raised by about 10lbs. That would make him officially better in than the likes of Rocky Creek or The Druids Nephew or Cause Of Causes.

But he is only seven.

Last edited:
That's interesting, DO.

Wilson, I didn't know that statistic about Culloty.
Ok then so Cause Of Causes could be good value based on a weight turnaround with Spring Heeled, but is there a possiblity he was targetted towards Cheltenham?

A horse will peak for one meeting and it will take a very good horse to win a race at the Festival and then the National a month later?

I want to have a better look at this. The first one's I need to view again are Broadway Buffalo and Rocky Creek.

Last edited:
The absence of the last fence helped Cause Of Cause's cause last week imo so would definitely prefer the runner up the next day.
COC's speed made a difference for sure at the end of the race last week when having to avoid the last fence, as you would expect from a Dynaformer who nearly won a Galway Hurdle.
The problem with Aintree is the dark nature of the soil can change the going radically with any rain, the year of the race that never was began the day on good ground and deteriorated by the minute with the rain.

What would you see in him that makes him tailor made Tanlic?

He's definitely the National "type". He looked very comfortable last year for most of the race and as i've banged on about earlier in this thread, he reminds me of Hedgehunter. Shot his bolt on his first visit but the following year, a year older, wiser and fitter, more conservative racing tactics and he bolted up. Rocky will do the same and pay for my house deposit :)

As expected, the ones mentioned a few posts back are right up there: Rocky Creek, The Druids Nephew, Broadway Buffalo and The Package. I thought COC would be a touch higher but it's not far off them. At this stage, you'd struggle to find a better short-list.

I've done Druids when the weights came out and after that eye catching run in the Cleeve. Geraghty's comments post race at CH have put me off and suspect he won't get home at the trip anyway. Carlingford is interesting, but the ground won't suit, whatever the weather. Eyes are falling on Gas Line Boy, certain to stay and jumping these fences is less of a test.

The absence of the last fence helped Cause Of Cause's cause last week imo so would definitely prefer the runner up the next day.COC's speed made a difference for sure at the end of the race last week when having to avoid the last fence, as you would expect from a Dynaformer who nearly won a Galway Hurdle.The problem with Aintree is the dark nature of the soil can change the going radically with any rain, the year of the race that never was began the day on good ground and deteriorated by the minute with the rain.
Edgt, if I remember rightly, that was rain of biblical proportions that day. As someone who used to play his amateur football career very closely to the far side, the ground drains extremely well trust me.

I've done Druids when the weights came out and after that eye catching run in the Cleeve. Geraghty's comments post race at CH have put me off and suspect he won't get home at the trip anyway. Carlingford is interesting, but the ground won't suit, whatever the weather. Eyes are falling on Gas Line Boy, certain to stay and jumping these fences is less of a test.

What were his comments about his National chances? I'm always wary of those aimed at Cheltenham with Aintree as an afterthought.

What would you see in him that makes him tailor made Tanlic?

I think in the National nowadays you need a touch of class and having that is a major plus.

It's like he's had a long apprenticeship and now he's the belated finished article.

I think PN has always believed in the horse but because of that belief over faced him

But now he's come good and is better than his rating suggests 11.3lbs ? he's now a better horse than that IMO

He jumps, he's got class has a good racing weight and he stays plus there's a good engine in there.

Can't see past him

But the reason for it, that the fences are too formidable for horses with such little experience, doesn't apply anymore.

Back