The 2016 Grand National

Horse is on the decline.

hardly looked that way last time. I don't fancy him because the way he races just doesn't look like one for those fences

I just keep coming back to many clouds. Druids was my bet last year but it's a fair point that he doesn't always jump as well as might be hoped.

Horse is on the decline.

Not if his run last time out is anything to go by and he's officially 6lbs well in. That surely has to qualify as anything other than badly handicapped. Nicholls said the other day they had to wait until the weights were out before they ran him again.

I'm not saying he will win but I am considering a bet depending on the prices/offers in the morning. Others are better handicapped but have more question marks against them, imvho.

" it is 16 years since his last winner on English soil. That was Quadco in Aintree's Champion Bumper, with a seven-pound-claiming amateur rider called DN Russell up top"

That made me smile, cheers for the link Granger.

My top 5 in order of preference

Many Clouds <-> The Last Samuri (struggling to split these two)
Morning Assembly
Saint Are
The Druids Nephew

Silviniaco Conti could be thrown in and he's one of my favourite horses in training so I daresay I'll throw a few quid at him too out of sentiment but I also think he might struggle to get home and is that low, cat like jumping style so suitable to these fences, even with the recent reductions in height ?

Aha. I agree with all that about conti. Love the horse but it's the jumping style I worry about

Really like le reve. Local track horse and won me plenty. Lovely attitude but not always quite the best jumper and likes right handed much more however aintree being so sweeping might not matter too much

good price though

Many Clouds could easily turn out to be one of those National horses that will be spoken of with respect for many years.

SC beat nothing last time out. Possibly the least backable horse in the race.
Nonsense.

The classiest horse in the race by a street. There's a slight doubt about the trip (which will be exacerbated if the rain comes) but otherwise there's little else to pinch on him. I don't expect him to win but to call him the least backable horse is mental.

1. Holywell
2. Buywise
3. Rule The World
4. Shutthefrontdoor

I also respect the chances of Many Clouds and The Last Samuri, but can't back them at the prices. Holywell and Shutthefrontdoor I backed at nice prices ew when the weights were announced (plus Triolo d'Alene), and I've just added Buywise and Rule The World ew.

I like
Gallant Oscar
Unioniste
Buywise
Many Clouds
and for some reason keep thinking Ballycasey - don't know why :confused:

Many Clouds could easily turn out to be one of those National horses that will be spoken of with respect for many years.

I thought the same about Ballabriggs.

Many Clouds is classier but it needs to be remembered that he would have been a distant second to The Druids Nephew last year had the latter stood up and he's five pounds higher this year. Don't let yourself be swayed by the 1lb argument. It's all to do with the weight he has to concede to horses some of which are simply better than him and some of which are getting more weight than their respective abilities merit. I reckon an honourable completion with place prospects at best would be a result for a very admirable beast.

As predicted the rain has arrived, for what its worth here are my picks:
Goonyella
Unioniste
Many Clouds(backed it months ago)
backed them all each way.. and forcasts/tricasts

a saver on Ballynagour at 75/1..

Last edited:
I watched last year's race back last night, and Many Clouds wasn't quite as impressive as I thought at the time. I think he is probably short-enough now, but still has clear claims. My three against the field are:

Morning Assembly
Onenightinvienna
Many Clouds

I suspect I will physically puke if Holywell wins, which should make backers happy, as I said exactly the same thing about Many Clouds last season!

Back