The 2016 Punchestown Festival

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->From RP 11th April

Willie Mullins says there is a "very good chance" Vautour will run in the Bibby Financial Services Gold Cup at Punchestown.

Willie wouldn't put punters away would he ? :whistle:

The man couldn't lie straight in bed!

He actually said in an interview last week he could run Faugheen in the Gold Cup because he stays forever......You could tell he was also thinking about saying he thought Un De Sceaux might go for next years Grand National :blink:

Chris Corrigan in The Guardian:

Don Cossack’s trainer, Gordon Elliott, is clinging to the hope that his nine-year-old, a brilliant winner of the Gold Cup at Cheltenham last month, can recover from an injury discovered on Sunday morning after a workout on the gallops near his stables at Longwood, Co Meath.
“He gave himself a knock on the gallops and obviously his season is over,” Elliott said. “I’ve had him since he was a five-year-old and he’s been such a professional. What’s happened is not ideal but I’m very hopeful he can race again later next season.”
The knock is to his off-fore tendon and could spell the end of Don Cossack’s days on the track. Eddie O’Leary, the racing manager for the horse’s owner, Gigginstown House Stud, said: “It’s only a small leg [injury] but with tendon injuries it may as well be a big one.
“He’s won us a Gold Cup and it could have happened before that, so we’ve at least that to be thankful for. The same thing happened to War Of Attrition [Gigginstown’s 2006 Gold Cup winner] – we never seem to get them back for a second Gold Cup. It’s a terrible blow for Gordon, who is a tremendous trainer and has done an unbelievable job with him – he’s had a fantastic season.
“Don Cossack will be treated with the aim to bring him back. If all goes well, that will be the plan. But if he isn’t 100%, we won’t be doing it.”

I wonder when was the last time a Grand National winner took part in a novice chase next time out?

I'm guessing never.

Last edited:
Mr What was a novice but never won another chase after his GN win in 33 attempts.
Whether or not he ran in a novice event after I do not know.
Reminds me of a famous Captain Christy story in the "on This Day "thread here.
CC ran and fell in Irish Grand National after his 74 GC win.
He then reappeared in Power Gold Cup the following day; a four horse race where he was 7/4 with no takers.
Bookie Terry Rogers to get some business shouted out " Ye have never seen it before nor will you ever see it again; 7/4 a Gold Cup winner in a four horse Novice Chase; are ye Men Or Mice ?" He started evens and won by 15 lengths.

Given that he dominated much of the gold cup thread and is now almost certain to run in the 2 miler what do we make of Vautour for next season.

Have they finally decided the GC is not the race for him?

I think ultimately he'll be Ryanair bound again, if Thistlecrack comes good over fences and Cue Card is as good as this season and Coneygree and Don Cossack recover from their injuries the CGC will not be the way forward and neither will the QMCC if Faugheen or Annie Power come good. And then there's Douvan !

That Vautour fall was a serious dent in WPM's title hopes

Fair enough that the GC is the pinnacle of racing, but I don't like how the thoughts of someone having a top 2m chaser is perceived as a lesser animal.

Vautour is a better horse than UDS ever was over any distance and would have won this years QM

Vautour, good and all as he is, will have his campaign determined by what connections want Douvan to win next year.

Imo, they think they've got enough in hand to nick this, but doubt he'd ever make a top class 2 miler. Despite the hype and the price, tomorrow's race is unlikely to be the stroll the park many have dismissed it as.

Imo, they think they've got enough in hand to nick this, but doubt he'd ever make a top class 2 miler. Despite the hype and the price, tomorrow's race is unlikely to be the stroll the park many have dismissed it as.
Agreed. They've always thought that he didn't have the pace for the Champion Chase and he was off the bridle at Ryanair pace last month. He might find it hard to peg back Special Tiara.

Mr What was a novice but never won another chase after his GN win in 33 attempts.
Whether or not he ran in a novice event after I do not know.
Reminds me of a famous Captain Christy story in the "on This Day "thread here.
CC ran and fell in Irish Grand National after his 74 GC win.
He then reappeared in Power Gold Cup the following day; a four horse race where he was 7/4 with no takers.
Bookie Terry Rogers to get some business shouted out " Ye have never seen it before nor will you ever see it again; 7/4 a Gold Cup winner in a four horse Novice Chase; are ye Men Or Mice ?" He started evens and won by 15 lengths.

Love it :thumbsup:

As for Mr What who won the national by a distance I would imagine back then he'd be caught up in not good enough for Grade 1's and weighted out of any chance of winning a handicap.

Agreed. They've always thought that he didn't have the pace for the Champion Chase and he was off the bridle at Ryanair pace last month. He might find it hard to peg back Special Tiara.

They said the same about Annie and the Champion a couple of years back. March showed what that was worth.

Wednesdays Champion bumper looks a proper race with all this year’s top players (ex-Ballyandy) plus Moon Racer. Not sure I’ll be punting in it, but will be fascinating

Given that he dominated much of the gold cup thread and is now almost certain to run in the 2 miler what do we make of Vautour for next season.

I think they will contest all the 2 mile races in Ireland with UDS who can clean up in the mud. Vautour will pop in and out between 2m4f and 2m races and Dovan the same.

UDS main target the Irish Champion Chase, Vautour Ryanair, Douvan the QMCC The Melling race at Aintree the King George

Yorkhill could be aimed at the Gold Cup as a Novice but something tells me they will want Douvan at to clean up the UK 2 mile races like Faugheen did.

The SS v Douvan looks certain to take place sooner than later

No chance Yorkhill will be aimed at Gold Cup Tanlic. Certainly not next season anyway. He does far too much.
He is though a serious tool. He'll just win the Arkle blind folded. Though would be intrigued to see him in the Champion Hurdle.

You're probably right but like Mullins I am trying to find a Gold Cup horse in the yard......Douvan I know!!! but he is so good it would be a shame to rush him

It will be interesting but ST should be a sitting duck for Vautour who is a great traveller in his races and the pace will help rather than be against.

Little doubt he will mow him down going to the last and win win easily.He should do if he truly is a 176 horse with 6 lengths up his sleeve.

I bet NJH hopes he absolutely hacks up and they convince themselves he should go for the QMCC instead of Douvan

A bit softer and Djackadam could still have hope

If Douvan proves he stays, they will surely aim him at the big prize

Yorkhill would have to mature a hell of a lot over the summer to even consider stepping out of novice company next term

Just got a message that some idiots are spreading a rumour that Sprinter Sacre is being retired. Load of bollocks!!! he just put up one of his best ever performances no way they will retire him

If - if - the explanation given when he was scratched from the Gold Cup was true then surely he runs in next year's Gold Cup provided he's 100% and working well in the build-up.

Ricci's comments and demeanour after the Ryanair suggested his nose was a bit out of joint. I don't think he enjoyed the public reaction to everything that went off at the time and I suspect he might throw his weight around a bit more next time round.

Don Cossack's injury might have a bearing on the decision too.

Back