The 2016 Punchestown Festival

I'm starting to get a semi eyeing up the 5/1 about Special Tiara for the Boylesports Champion Chase.

I can't see Vautour showing up. Didn't race after Cheltenham last year. I don't see Willie dropping him back to 2m off the back of a fall, in a race where Special Tiara will go a mile a minute. Step up to 3m to take on Cue Card and Don Cossack?? I'd doubt it. I don't think we'll see Vautour again this season.

Un De Sceaux highly likely to go to Sandown. Even if not, I'm simply not a fan of the horse. Fantastic when everything goes his way. Ground, can clout one.....at the price he starts at these days he's one to take on for me.

Gods Own, yeah has his chance, I just think ST is a better horse.
Top Gamble, definitely has his chance. Biggest danger.
Smashing, needs proper Soft ground to be his seen at his best, not up to this level.
Simonsig, 1 run in 3 years.......no thanks.

Anyone strongly with something? Or strongly against Special Tiara?

I've posted a while back on another thread (or maybe earlier on this one) that the 14/1 about Gods Own e/w was fantastic value on the basis that many of those above him in the market wouldn't turn up.

I love Top Gamble but would rate Gods Own a better horse and of the others that were ahead of him the one I would have settled for showing up is Special Tiara. There's not a huge amount between them and while I acknowledge Special Tiara would be favourite in a match bet, the prices at the time hugely favoured Gods Own.

Now they're much closer in the betting I wouldn't be so keen but Special Tiara has twice ran badly here, admittedly on ground far too soft for him, whereas Gods Own won the 2 mile novice chase at the festival here and would be marginally better equipped to handle any deterioration in the ground.

Mullins admitted last night that he hasn't got a clue what will show up at Sandown though so what chance have we got ? and if the ground is quick-ish there then Un De Sceaux will probably line up here, hence why I was so keen on the 14s e/w but less so about an AP win only bet.

Last edited:
Yeah, right

I didn't like to say anything DG for fear of being unfairly labelled a Mullins hater following my pro Nicholls comments on t'other thread. And in fairness to him the weather, plus any decision to water was always going to have a large influence on what actually ran and I still reckon there's a good chance he'll withdrawal him if the ground is riding quicker than he expects.

Good points wilsonl, and yeah I remember your post about Gods Own.

Fundamentally I just think Special Tiara is the better horse, but at the same time wouldn't be shocked if he were to turn the Cheltenham form around.

For sure 14/1 was good value. Hope you took it.

5/1 about Special Tiara is an ew bet to nothing considering Henry has said this is his target and the horse is such a good jumper.
Not my kind of bet though, i'm looking at doubling him up with Air Force Blue in the Guineas.

Market suspended (obviously)

Missed the 5/1 about Special Tiara. Fool. Went through the race 12 hours too late.

:(

On the WPM preview he said Twinlight had done some work with Annie Power and thought he was back to his old self and he would be the one running in the 2mile race

I'm starting to get a semi eyeing up the 5/1 about Special Tiara for the Boylesports Champion Chase.

I can't see Vautour showing up. Didn't race after Cheltenham last year. I don't see Willie dropping him back to 2m off the back of a fall, in a race where Special Tiara will go a mile a minute. Step up to 3m to take on Cue Card and Don Cossack?? I'd doubt it. I don't think we'll see Vautour again this season.

Un De Sceaux highly likely to go to Sandown. Even if not, I'm simply not a fan of the horse. Fantastic when everything goes his way. Ground, can clout one.....at the price he starts at these days he's one to take on for me.

Gods Own, yeah has his chance, I just think ST is a better horse.
Top Gamble, definitely has his chance. Biggest danger.
Smashing, needs proper Soft ground to be his seen at his best, not up to this level.
Simonsig, 1 run in 3 years.......no thanks.

Anyone strongly with something? Or strongly against Special Tiara?

Still 5/1 with Powers

I wonder if WPM truly believes UDS has a better chance than Vautour would have had of beating Sprinter Sacre or he's simply putting Ricci before the trainers title

Or O'Connell and his scarf waving loonie friends insisted they wan't revenge?

To me O'Connell is crazy agreeing to this if it wasn't his own idea and missing out on the 90k easy picking at Punchestown.

I seem to remember Ruby said "He couldn't match Sprinter Sacre for speed on that ground" so what's changed?

NJH "Bring it on you scarf waving lookies there's plenty more where the last hammering you got came from" :cool:

Last edited:
I suspect Ricci preferred to stay at home . Gives you an indication of what they may be planning for next year e.g stepping Douvan up in trip if Vautour wins over2 miles

What was the reason VV Mag was taken out?

Wouldn't be because she's entered in Thistlecrack's race and all hope of the title had gone?

Not criticising WPM just wondering?

Back