The 2024 'Should Be Odds-on' Thread

I thought she was cruising but didn't get home - winner is nothing special.Retirement is a distinct possibility.

Saturday, York 1.50 - See The Fire 3/1 - her Nassau form is the best in the race and showed she is improving. My slight concern is that she was a bit below form in the Eclipse which came only two weeks after her previous peak and it was only three weeks ago. I wouldn’t rush to attribute the defeat to the ground as her previous best form was in soft until she went to Ascot. Her last five runs were in G1 races so this G3 is also a drop in class. Her OR would give her a 6lbs advantage once her allowance is factored in and I think she should be a fraction odds on. Emily Upjohn, though, has shown three times this season that they don't always win but I'm very happy with 3/1.

And in the 3.00 - Audience 13/8 - There has to be a case for arguing that he should be odds-on too. I’m slightly wary of his new OR because he got a brilliant tactical ride last time that might flatter him but it does give him a massive 12lbs advantage and he’s likely to get the run of the race up front on a front-runners’ track on ground he acts well on.

Edit - the double with STF pays almost 9/1 at best prices when under 4/1 would be right if both should be odds on so I've taken that as well.

And in the 3.00 - Audience 13/8 - There has to be a case for arguing that he should be odds-on too. I’m slightly wary of his new OR because he got a brilliant tactical ride last time that might flatter him but it does give him a massive 12lbs advantage and he’s likely to get the run of the race up front on a front-runners’ track on ground he acts well on.

Edit - the double with STF pays almost 9/1 at best prices when under 4/1 would be right if both should be odds on so I've taken that as well.

Kinross has come out so Audience has shortened to 8/13. If it wins I'm not sure I can claim it now. I think the rule 4 would have reduced the 13/8 to about 10/11.

Saturday, York 1.50 - See The Fire 3/1 - her Nassau form is the best in the race and showed she is improving. My slight concern is that she was a bit below form in the Eclipse which came only two weeks after her previous peak and it was only three weeks ago. I wouldn’t rush to attribute the defeat to the ground as her previous best form was in soft until she went to Ascot. Her last five runs were in G1 races so this G3 is also a drop in class. Her OR would give her a 6lbs advantage once her allowance is factored in and I think she should be a fraction odds on. Emily Upjohn, though, has shown three times this season that they don't always win but I'm very happy with 3/1.

Got the job done but I was never really happy with the ride she got. Maybe Murphy was always confident and she put it to bed quite quickly.

That's the Emily Upjohn losses almost recovered.

Kicking myself for not taking the opportunity to cash out when I was getting offered something like 75% of the overall return but I waited a half a furlong and the cashout was suspended.

Edit - I'm now hearing Audience got a knock in the stalls.

Leopardstown 2.15 - Diego Velazquez 2/1 - looked to me like a G1 horse last time, maybe just coming good now in the second half of the season. The price drift (from 6/4) is a worry but not enough to put me off. Maljoom is the likely danger but he has a tendency to blow the start.

Glasgow buses...

Another one has just come along.

Leo 2.50 - Porta Fortuna 11/8 - I have her 5lbs clear of Fallen Angel and her latest win was against older horses.

I've done the double with DV which pays better than 6/1.

Leopardstown 2.15 - Diego Velazquez 2/1 - looked to me like a G1 horse last time, maybe just coming good now in the second half of the season. The price drift (from 6/4) is a worry but not enough to put me off. Maljoom is the likely danger but he has a tendency to blow the start.
Those two marker leaders look dodgy to me
I've had anvew bet on Power over me at 50s.
Nearly put him on the longshot thread.

They are talking about aiming this one at the Cox Plate -for me is a disappointing sort.Drawn wide with a lot of pace on the inside -I've laid him at evens.

The money came for him and he won at 10/11, perhaps not as easily as you'd want to see an odds-on shot win but they never really looked like getting to him once he opened up.

Curr 3.00 - Bedtime Story 6/5 - if I were a bookie I'd be pricing this shorter than any competitor. I wouldn't want to offer better than 1/2.

Back