The alternative Cheltenham Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
Thanks, Luke. I'll take a closer look. I didn't read too much into any of the heavy defeats, especially in that ground.

I took 20/1 Vicente the other night for the 4-miler. I already had him rated higher than Black Hercules before today's race. I can't find a way (yet) of checking past results quickly (without going up the loft to check back through my old form books and I can't be arsed to do that) but I'm pretty sure the rating I have for him would win any of the last 20 renewals and I'm pretty certain Paul Nicholls said the other night that the race was his target.

The jockey is already sorted too (Biddick).

This is the only race for which he holds an entry so far. I suppose he might get an entry for one of the handicaps later on but I doubt it.

This then maybe the Ayr or Irish National strike me as the most likely plan, if he does have another race, though I imagine he'll be so prepped for Cheltenham they'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
If Vroum Vroum Mag goes for the Mares and is stupid short she could be the take on horse of the meeting.

Anyone with e/w multiples is rubbing their hands after Faugheen is ruled out.

Even with Faugheen out I can't get round to rubbing my hands having Peace and Co and L'Ami Serge in my first two legs.:thumbsdown: They both need a fuel injectiion to get into the race never mind get a place

just done an e/w double of sizing john (arkle) and nicholls canyon (champ hurdle)

place part is just short of 10/1

An alternative poke -my weekly skybet freebet fiver for this week will be mtoy more of that and moon racer.Each way treble-all returning,all written off all have course form!

Boyles have pushed Noble Endeavor to 25/1 for the 4 miler after he finished 2nd today. He would have been third obviously.

That seems a strange push to me.

7/1 second fav now. What the **** was their compiler thinking.

For anyone based in the emerald isle l was in a Tully's bookies this evening, them, Bamburys, Tracksports and the other Betpack bookies all seem to use the same odds complier source but they went NRNB for cheltenham today and from what l can see they are copying bet365 prices, might be of interest for anyone who cant get on with 365.

For anyone based in the emerald isle l was in a Tully's bookies this evening, them, Bamburys, Tracksports and the other Betpack bookies all seem to use the same odds complier source but they went NRNB for cheltenham today and from what l can see they are copying bet365 prices, might be of interest for anyone who cant get on with 365.

They use Paddy Power prices.

I think there is a small angle with doubling the formline between Diamond King and Blue Hell in two of the hardest races at the festival. I think both will go off shorter than they are now but if DK wins the Coral Cup then Blue Hell will have to go off a single price fav in the County. 142/1 the double is worth an interest.

Coral Cup - Diamond King 10/1 (Coral)
County Hurdle - Blue Hell 12/1 (Coral)

Last edited:
7/1 second fav now. What the **** was their compiler thinking.

Great spot at 25/1 Slim but the big question for me is what price should he be now?

Minella Rocco shouldn't be favourite that's for sure. PU and tailed off by 75 lengths then finally put up a decent run when 2nd to VDR at Ascot but in a slow run race in very holding ground.

As a couple of members have said and rightly so Minella Rocco really needs soft or even heavy ground and up to now he's run on nothing else. How the hell can any horse who depends on soft ground be made fav for Cheltenham is beyond me. Why the hell would Frank Berry even send him to Jonjo when he could have been housed in Ireland where it's almost always soft ground? Guess he don't read as much as he should.

Getting back to Noble Endeavour who I have backed btw what about the ground for him? he seems only to run on soft or heavy too.

How do you think he would handle good ground?

Seems to me the horse who would most appreciate good ground is Colin Tizzard's Native River

Noble Endeavour might actually improve for good ground. I can see him going off 5/1.

I think there is a small angle with doubling the formline between Diamond King and Blue Hell in two of the hardest races at the festival. I think both will go off shorter than they are now but if DK wins the Coral Cup then Blue Hell will have to go off a single price fav in the County. 142/1 the double is worth an interest.

Coral Cup - Diamond King 10/1 (Coral)
County Hurdle - Blue Hell 12/1 (Coral)

they are too high in the weights
badly handicapped in my figures

Best priced horse on day 1 right now may be Fingal Bay in the Ultima. He'll get his conditions for the first time this season. Ground was too soft in the Hennessy and whilst he ran well at Ascot after that Cheltenham suits him better. He's in this thread because I do prefer him as an each way bet given his strike rate aint great. I'll have him in ew dubs with B'Dair, Nicholls Canyon and Vicente on day 1.

You may well be right but I'm open to hearing about formlines that we can take advantage of in different races.

Best bit of form out there as far as I'm concerned is Mad Jack Mytton running Solstice Star to 2 1/2 Lengths AT Cheltenham giving him 2 stone on soft ground.

Jonjo had high hopes for him this season even entered him in the Champion Hurdle.

His young jockey hardly went a yard at Newbury in the Betfair before finding trouble and then was almost brought down a few hurdles later . Ground was awful that virtually nothing bar 1 travelled in it so the runs best forgotten.

For the 3 races he's entered in he's 20 to 25/1 NRNB

Back