The Bumpers Thread

REGAL ENCORE looked useful when winning at Chepstow yesterday, racing for the first time in J.P.McManus' colours, ridden by McCoy who held him up out the back made progress effortlessly and went clear with the rider posing and looking through his legs!? BE BOP BARU had no chance with the winner but made a nice racecourse debut in second, should be winning soon.

At Fairyhouse it was no surprise that Nina Carberry should win a race called the Nina Carberry Flat Race and ALLY CASCADE won with plenty in hand.

The County Clare-trained (it's a long way from Killaloe to Hexham) Claiming Benefits won the bumper at Hexham but I was taken with the rules-debut of THE FRIARY; a winning pointer in Ireland and very well fancied here (9/4 > 6/4) probably outpaced at some stage but running on well at the finish, sure to be winning soon.

At Fairyhouse it was no surprise that Nina Carberry should win a race called the Nina Carberry Flat Race and ALLY CASCADE won with plenty in hand.

Not only that, Colin, she used to own the horse before selling it to Jiggytown after its previous run for about five times the €18k she had bought it for. He's another horse to keep an eye on.

Regarding the Hexham race, I think Peter Carberry on the winner deserves praise for kicking on when he did. His pursuers in second and third were hesitant about subjecting their horses to too hard a race, I felt, and didn't start trying to pull back the deficit until too late.

Not only that, Colin, she used to own the horse before selling it to Jiggytown after its previous run for about five times the €18k she had bought it for. He's another horse to keep an eye on.

Regarding the Hexham race, I think Peter Carberry on the winner deserves praise for kicking on when he did. His pursuers in second and third were hesitant about subjecting their horses to too hard a race, I felt, and didn't start trying to pull back the deficit until too late.

I was actually quite disappointed with The Friary (actually backed from 4/1). Not the first Russell bumper runner to be well supported and be easily brushed aside. He was scrubbed along quite a way out and just looked paceless.

As regards the Chepstow race the winner was in a different league but I would suggest despite finishing fifth Until Winning was the second best on show. Travelled very well but it appeared the jockey got carried away and made a move about three furlongs too soon.

Difficult to tell what the form is worth, but Mister W K really took the eye at Ffos Las today. One to follow until he's beaten I think.

Last edited:
EMPIRACLE very impressive when winning at Huntingdon on Tuesday. Looked a nice big gelding on the television pictures, cantering as he approached the final furlong won with a lot in hand. Looks to have a future.

Probably not a great mares bumper at Wincanton yesterday but CENTASIA won it in very impressive style. Jockey started showboating over a furlong out but when he let her go she shot clear. Interesting to see where she will go from here.

Quite impressed with the run of FIDDLER'S BID in the last at Cheltenham yesterday. This winning Irish pointer was making his bumper debut, he was prominent throughout and kept on well when the first two went past and finished a respectable third.

Looking forward to seeing Torn Asunder in the last at Cork - the champion ptp bumper he ran in is starting to look strong in depth.

Road To Riches looked almost as good there in the winners bumper at Naas as Raise The Beat did when winning this race a couple of years ago.

The Dermot Weld-trained EXPANDING UNIVERSE eventually ran out a convincing winner at Fairyhouse yesterday. By Galileo out of a Darshaan mare (Uliana) who has already produced the useful hurdler Westlin Winds he was prominent throughout but looked in danger when Curley Bill, a gelding who is built for the jumping game challenged on the outside two furlongs out.

Both look to have a future over obstacles.

It will be interesting to see how Bridgequarter Girl gets on in the mares winners bumper at Punchestown. She is related to Roddy's Ballyvesey and his ill-fated Royal Scoundrel, both of them bumper winners, and apparently took the eye in her debut at Cork, which was over hurdles. Today's rider, Derek O'Connor, merits the highest respect in races such as these.

It will be interesting to see how Bridgequarter Girl gets on in the mares winners bumper at Punchestown. She is related to Roddy's Ballyvesey and his ill-fated Royal Scoundrel, both of them bumper winners, and apparently took the eye in her debut at Cork, which was over hurdles. Today's rider, Derek O'Connor, merits the highest respect in races such as these.

I thought Brian Hamiltons mare was very impressive winning this ,one to keep on side

EMPIRACLE very impressive when winning at Huntingdon on Tuesday. Looked a nice big gelding on the television pictures, cantering as he approached the final furlong won with a lot in hand. Looks to have a future.

Pure Style, beaten 7l by Empiracle, makes his hurdle debut at Stratford today. Henderson's horse makes the market and Charlie Longsdon's looks a decent bet at 5-2.

Nice debut by APACHE STRONGHOLD at Down Royal yesterday, the 4-y-o Milan gelding has plenty of size and found a turn of foot at the end of a slowly run race.

At Uttoxeter BALLINVARRIG was making his debut under rules and the big Beneficial gelding looked to have the race won with a hundred yards to go but was too tired to resist the late challenge of the 40/1 shot Squire Trelawny. He is sure to win races over obstacles.

Impressive win for the athletic-looking PUFFIN BILLY at Ascot; held up and racing keenly at the back of the field he made ground rapidly and ran out a comfortable winner.

In a very slowly run affair at Down Royal, GILT SHADOW showed a nice turn of foot to win nicely; should progress.

Puffin Billy could be the best we've seen so far Colin - never came off the bridle in winning impressively.

I can never understand how Oliver Sherwood does so well in bumpers with chase-bred types who then turn out to be no bloody good when they go jumping. I hope the gorgeous Puffin Billy can break that mould.

Very impressive racecourse debut by OWEN MC at Fairyhouse yesterday. Only six runners but the 4-y-o Oscar gelding showed a fine turn of foot to pull away from his rivals in the final furlong.

Back