The Champion Hurdle 2010

CW, Katchit and CAJ did go into that race with higher ratings but thye were beaten too far out for the form to be taken at face value, so I didn't.

However, even if it could be taken at face value, the horse to take from the race was CH as it was his debut and was injudiciously ridden. Having said that, I thought Osana would turn the tables with CH (on his next run) later in the season and I was on that one on the big day. :(

Osana made a brave attempt, but the front three plus a running-on Crack Away Jack were different class to the rest in the big one.

I'm keeping all four close to my heart this season (as I am the front two in the World Hurdle) with the front three set to reoppose and CAJ successfully embarking on his chasing career.

Punjabi may be injured....more to come i think. For me this race is now between HF, Sol and CH...

Punjabi may be injured.

Tony Stafford, racing manager to Punjabi's owner Raymond Tooth, gave some cause for concern on his WBX Triple Crown blog.
"There was a slight worry last week when he had to miss a piece of work," he said.
"With a horse with a normal metabolism that might be nothing, but in the case of Punjabi it is always significant.
"A clear path for the next ten days will be crucial and Nicky Henderson will monitor his weekend work especially closely to make sure he is straight enough to compete with the likes of a hard-fit Solwhit. Anything short of 100 per cent would make the long trek north as much a worry as an excitement."

Punjabi may be injured....more to come i think. For me this race is now between HF, Sol and CH...

The news was out earlier that he's had a slight setback and they are monitoring the situation with regard to the Fighting Fifth... Nothing to get to excited about longer term though.

One request though (it's probably my old age)... but can you stop referring to the horse as Solwith? :confused:

Bad news, Steve. Unfortunately, as Shadow Leader made a similar request earlier in the thread, I have had to discard your comment in the "effects of old age" pile... :ninja: :p

Osana made a brave attempt, but the front three plus a running-on Crack Away Jack were different class to the rest in the big one.

Pipe inexplicably put first-time blinkers on Osana in the last Champion Hurdle, and he patently failed to run to form in them. He is much better judged on his second to Celestial Halo in the old Agfa.

Bad news, Steve. Unfortunately, as Shadow Leader made a similar request earlier in the thread, I have had to discard your comment in the "effects of old age" pile... :ninja: :p

Maybe Shadow Leader is much older than she leads us to believe.

(Slopes off into hiding...)

Looks like we will get answers sooner than we expected--- Solwhit v Binocular--- may be on at Newcastle in Fighting Fifth.

I was wondering if the fact that Punjabi is less likely to run means that Binocular is more likely. It should be worth watching. I like the way they don't try to duck anything with Binocular.

Good news on both fronts it seems:

"Punjabi has definitely not suffered a setback, it just makes total sense to switch him and Binocular around."
The pair are due to engage in a schooling session at Henderson's Lambourn base on Thursday, with Henderson also eyeing a racecourse gallop for Punjabi next weekend.
"Barry Geraghty is coming over to school Punjabi, and AP (McCoy) will school Binocular," the trainer continued.
"I would ideally like Punjabi to have a racecourse gallop prior to Cheltenham and we are hoping, with Newbury's permission, to do so on Hennessy weekend, which would put him spot-on."

Source: PA

Binocular was still 4s with Hills earlier today, one place only. I backed him with Corals at 4/1 Monday (now 7/2) and Hills today... won't last long guys.

16/1 with wbx for binny to win the triple crown. Ive had a little tickle seems very big as the first two races are on tracks that should really suit

Travelled a lot better than he did the whole of last year - remember his Novice Hurdle on Victor Chandler day, he was on and off the bridle the whole way. Think he's improved a hell of a lot over the summer. Cracking prospect.

It will be interesting to see if he raves so keenly next time out. His lazy style only really appeared on his second start last year.

Seems he wants to keep them all apart until the Champion Hurdle which would rule out the Bula because that's where Punjabi is going. Haydock's Champion Hurdle trial is an option but no surprise if he is kept to around two and a half miles before Cheltenham which would bring in races like the National Spirit at Fontwell and that conditions race at Cheltenham on New Years Day. Irish Chmapion would be an option for one of them I guess.

Back