The Derby & Irish Derby 2009

Galileo said:
good thread for your first post!

Shame it wasn't 'good post for your first thread' :p

I accept that if O'Donoghue is under orders to make it a cut-throat race then Golden Sword has no chance. If he's allowed to set, or sit behind a fast, even tempo then the ones that come by him will have to be very good horses that truly stay a mile and a half. Of course, there may well be many such horses in the race - at 40-1 E/W I'm hopeful that there'll be no more than 2!

Market for this race tomorrow should be fascinating....none of the first three are necessarily that strong or weak in the market despite what the bookmakers are telling us. Imagine the weather will have a big influence on who goes off favourite.

Yes, looking forward to it ... I imagine rain will be a negative for Rip Van Winkle, a bigger one for Sea the stars and a positive for Fame & Glory. Fast ground would have the opposite effect on all 3.

Gan Amhras and Black Bear Island seem to be the popular ones this evening.

Weather report anyone in the locality?

Based on times the ground looks to be riding middle of Good...but horses that have won on G/S and fast ground have won today.

the last race time was a lot faster per class than any other race on the card...if that race was used as a marker then the rest of the race times today were poor...so I would say that Cloudy Star has run a real decent time.

Its

the last race time was a lot faster per class than any other race on the card...if that race was used as a marker then the rest of the race times today were poor...so I would say that Cloudy Star has run a real decent time.

Agreed, really jumps off the page. Seems to have been a glut of slow-run races, though.

Based on times the ground looks to be riding middle of Good...but horses that have won on G/S and fast ground have won today.

Its fair to say the first race wasn't a fast run race (3 of them took a keen hold] and Mac Love ran a speed figure approx 9lb below his OHR..this seems to fit in nicely with Cloudy Start running about 9lb higher than OHR

That leaves the Coronation looking a very poor speed figure ...was this a real slow early with an injection of pace?...it looks it on times.

Sariska has only run a 111 if I have guaged the first and last race times correctly ...the ground would have to be slow side of Good to give her a faster speed figure..and I can't see that being the case...looking at the race comments it also looks like the pace hotted up in the last 3f with horses getting outpaced by the leaders at that point....again pointing to the early pace not being that hot...but still faster than the Coronation.

quite a difficult card to speed rate as you would think teh filly has run a bigger figure if comparing her to the Coronation time alone..but the evidence suggests that race was very slow early and the Oaks just a little faster..but neither a true even pace.

let me know what your visual impressions of the Coronation and Oaks early pace were..I have not seen either.

Last edited:
thank goodness for that Rory :rolleyes:

now what I would really love to see tomorrow is a true run Derby and one horse swinging away on the bit two and winning by about 7 lengths in the style of Troy

if I imagine that scenario I can see only one horse proving to be that superior to the others...and its Sea The Stars

thank goodness for that Rory :rolleyes:

now what I would really love to see tomorrow is a true run Derby and one horse swinging away on the bit two and winning by about 7 lengths in the style of Troy

if I imagine that scenario I can see only one horse proving to be that superior to the others...and its Sea The Stars
I wouldn't disagree and I'd expect that the Derby will (as usual) be run at a sound pace.

if it was a true run race UG then the winner is way below the average Oaks winner as the time overall was nothing special..

a slow time points to ...either the early pace being slower than even pace...or if there was an even pace then the winner is below average by about 8/10lbs.

it would be of interest to do some sectionals on the 4 x 12f races at this meeting I think

Totally agree regarding the relative pace of the races. Watched the RUK replays this evening and it backs up what the times say - only the last race was run at a proper pace. The Oaks was next best, but doesn't quite make the "truly run" threshold. The ground was definitely on the fast side of good. A fine example of how difficult it can be to judge such things off the limited evidence of the first couple of races...

They're tilting at windmills aiming her at the Arc.

They're not surely. She'll only finish in single figures if less than 12 turn up. I had a decent sized bet on RV and was confident but the one thing to give me pause before the race was that in twenty years of punting i'd only found the winner of the Oaks once. Horrible race.

Last edited:
just watched the Oaks on RUK..all through the first half of the race Hoiles is saying they have gone steadyish.

the sectionals from today ..from the start to the path at the top of the hill... these are about to the nearest half second as I had to use the clock on RUK picture

Coronation: 73.00 seconds
Oaks: 68.00 seconds

if the Oaks was a little slow early then as thought the Coronation was run at a crawl in comparison.. and by some way

the % of time spent in that first section..so we can compare tomorrows races on a level playing field.. without worrying about ground change..are

Coronation: 46.4%
Oaks: 43.7%

Quite attracted to the stamina of GAMLA STAN - no, sorry! GAN AMRHAS! Feel that SEA THE STARS should win, all things considered, but that GA will have the lung power to mount a credible threat.

Off out for the day, just my view of the race.

Sea the stars won't get the trip.
Can't see fame and Glory out of the first three, one to beat.
They may have trouble pinning back Golden sword (place material)
Don't fancy Rip (how dumb am I)
Some one told me one bookie was going 50/1 O'Brien first five home, sounds a decent bet.
Mr Bolgers runner ?, hmmmm........

I have :
£1100/250 Fame and Glory

£475/50 Gan Amhras

Although I don't fancy the favourite that much i'm tempted to partially cover my stake as he's surely the only danger. Would you?

if the Oaks was a little slow early then as thought the Coronation was run at a crawl in comparison.. and by some way

...which would make Look Here's run all the more meritorious. It also means Eastern anthem ran well too as he was stone last for the first half of the race. No marks to either jockey.

Back