The Derby

Ground? Woke up on the wrong side of bed?

I think the most impressive thing about Authorized was how his cruising speed seemed just that little bit faster than everything else, the overhead showed he was always passing horses and making ground on the leaders.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 2 2007, 07:07 PM
Incidentally...what was Motivators time performance like in the Derby?
I had him with a short head of Kris Kin (practically dead heated) I was pleased when I woke the next day to find the sporting press proclaiming a vulnerable horse to be unbeatable. Didn't help me mind you, although I was pretty confident he wouldn't win again, I still backed the wrong one

Originally posted by AliGupter@Jun 2 2007, 09:11 PM
Ground? Woke up on the wrong side of bed?
I`m prepared to forgive any horse who doesn`t act around the track, it`s a pure mindfuck of a course. That ridge just before Tattenham Corner that`s almost like a ramp or something they have to climb over. Weird.

Watched it a few times now and if you pause it as Aqaleem passes the line just ahead of Lucarno, Soldier of Fortune and Salford Mill you could almost believe it was last year`s race.

Eagle Mountain ran a blinder, he came from way off the pace. St Leger looks made for him.

As for the official 5l distance - it definitely looked bigger than that to me.

I know that's what you said - it's still bloody wrong though!! At the same time that I said "that wasn't five lengths, it was more like eight" at least two other people watching with me said "that wasn't five lengths, it was more than that"!

It only just clicked with me which race the 4th placed Lucarno started his career - that ridiculously fast Newbury maiden that Diamond Tycoon won en route to the Guineas.

I can't believe you didn't realise that Gareth :laughing: I thought a man of your promp knowledge would have picked up on that. A friend of mine snapped up some 600s and posted it up on the Betfair forum, laid off to make a clean green on the race dragging a few grand if Lucarno won.

I can't wait until Diamond Tycoon runs again, I have a feeling he'll improve on his Guineas effort.

I calculated it as five lengths but he won with something in hand.

The two I backed finished last and second last but both were beaten before stamina became an issue.

I think we saw a good winner of a very good race and I have to doubt if Archipenko would have beaten him if he'd run to my expectations.

I'm utterly delighted for Dettori. He's such an open, honest character; so unlike so many top jockeys who have their head so far up their own @rse they seem to forget how to be human.

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Jun 2 2007, 11:00 PM
I think we saw a good winner of a very good race and I have to doubt if Archipenko would have beaten him if he'd run to my expectations.

I think that's fair.

Originally posted by SteveM@May 30 2007, 10:09 AM
Those with realistic chances who best fit our criteria this year are: Mahler, Authorized, Arabian Gulf [non-runner], Aqaleem, Eagle Mountain and Lucarno. I also have a sneaking regard for the form of Soldier Of Fortune, who will certainly get the trip. Of these Authorized is taken to prevail. Aqaleem could prove next best with the Ballydoyle contingent, Lucarno and Arabian Gulf [non-runner]left to fight over the remaining place in the frame.

VERDICT:

1) Authorized 1st
2) Aqaleem 3rd
3) Eagle Mountain 2nd
4) Soldier Of Fortune 5th
5) Lucarno 4th
By the way did anyone notice that I gave you the first five, albeit in slightly different order?... Sometimes I think I'm too selfless for this world.

Bless you Ali. Without putting words in your mouth I was looking for something like “tireless devotion to the Talkinghorses community”… but what you said will do fine. :D

Steve, a serious challenge to Mystic Meg if ever I saw one! I trust you did one of those complicated thingies where you back all five in any order, and are now richer to the tune of at least £24.37?

Back