The Derby

There seems to have been something evidently up with Archipenko but considering where Yellowstone finished , you wouldn't have thought he would have been better than scrapping it with Aqaleem and Lucarno .

I rate Archipenko a considerably better horse than Yellowstone.

I wont go on as I will sound like I am undermining an impressive winner which is not my intention. Just very odd that nothing else in the race was travelling with any kind of ease turning in.

The winner does look a top class animal, but simply because he won the Derby he doesnt need to be given a rating too high to the one he has actually achieved....loads of time for that.

Anyone here any quotes as to what the plans are for him?

Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 3 2007, 11:40 AM
There seems to have been something evidently up with Archipenko but considering where Yellowstone finished , you wouldn't have thought he would have been better than scrapping it with Aqaleem and Lucarno .

I wont go on as I will sound like I am undermining an impressive winner which is not my intention. Just very odd that nothing else in the race was travelling with any kind of ease turning in.
Well as Yellowstone was four lengths behind those scrapping for third and Archipenko had only beaten him three parts of a length at leopardstown . I don't think that is an unfair assessment on what we have seen of where Archipenko was likely to have finished .

Look what finished on Galileo and High Chaparral's tail in the Derrinstown...it is what it is...a trial. I would fancy Eagle Mountain to beat any of the placed horses in the Dante...but if you took that form literally he wouldnt.

That's the point I haven't taken it literally - such an assessment allows for Archipenko to be several lengths further in front of Yellowstone. Moreover , Authorized won in a canter at York- Archipenko didn't.

Some comeback by PCH - makes you wonder what made him want to move to HK in the first place. Was he just bored? Looking for a new challenge?

the money i would think would have been at the top of his list a higher return for less capitol outlay

he is an excellent trainer its a shame he went

Originally posted by Ardross@Jun 3 2007, 11:02 AM
Authorized won in a canter at York- Archipenko didn't.
Seeing the Dante again yesterday morning, Authorized won better than I'd previously given him credit for but the thing that started to make me think he might push Archipenko harder than I'd believed was the comment by one of the Morning Line team that Authorized was blowing quite hard after the race. However, by no stretch of the imagination did he win "in a canter".

Reports after the Derrinstown suggested Archipenko was blowing very hard and I expected him to improve a good half-stone. Despite being well short of peak fitness, he'd proved much too fast for fit in-form horses.

Originally posted by Desert Orchid+Jun 3 2007, 01:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Desert Orchid @ Jun 3 2007, 01:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ardross@Jun 3 2007, 11:02 AM
Authorized won in a canter at York- Archipenko didn't.
Seeing the Dante again yesterday morning, Authorized won better than I'd previously given him credit for but the thing that started to make me think he might push Archipenko harder than I'd believed was the comment by one of the Morning Line team that Authorized was blowing quite hard after the race. However, by no stretch of the imagination did he win "in a canter".

Reports after the Derrinstown suggested Archipenko was blowing very hard and I expected him to improve a good half-stone. Despite being well short of peak fitness, he'd proved much too fast for fit in-form horses. [/b][/quote]
Improving 7lb - puts him third though doesn't it if Yellowston ran to form ?. Whether or not canter is the right adjective - very easily is unarguable as a description for Authorized's win.

These are my figures going into the race, listed in the eventual finishing order, of the first ten home. They were six lengths and more clear of eased-off beaten runners :

Authorized 120+
Eagle Mountain 117
Aqaleem 113
Lucarno 117+ (119?)
Soldier Of Fortune 111+
Salford Mill 108
Kid Mambo 107
Yellowstone 122?
Acapulco 105
Admiralofthefleet 121

If we take 66/1 shot Acapulco - no real chance on form - as having run to his rating, it puts Authorized on 125, which immediately has a 'right' feel to it. It also ups Eagle Mountain (by 1lb), Aqaleem (+2) Soldier Of Fortune (+3), Salford Mill (+5) and Kid Mambo (+4) on previous form.

On the other hand, it brings down a few: Lucarno (by 2lbs), Yellowstone (-12) and Admiralofthefleet (-16).

Reading the race comments, it's possible Yellowstone was ridden to get the trip and Admiralofthefleet has clearly underperformed.

Where does that leave us regarding Lucarno? His 119? was based on the very fast time of his seasonal debut behind Diamond Tycoon, possibly misleading, but his 117+ was his run just seven days back. Steve had him down as likely to find the Derby trip his optimum. Compare his race position with Soldier Of Fortune and Aqaleem, who all raced prominently and occupied fourth, fifth and sixth positions respectively entering the straight and have raced home together, with Aqaleem crossing the line just ahead.

These three are probably the key to overall pace of the race. Salford Mill and Eagle Mountain both came from well back and Authorized wasn't far in front of them at halfway. Kid Mambo made the running and kicked on early in the straight before weakening to finish not far behind Salford Mill. He is probably better than his finishing position and will be of interest this summer as he still managed to improve on his previous best.

If we credit Lucarno with his rating from last week, arrived at via the apparently consistent Hearthstead Maison, it puts Authorized up to 127 (and the others up 2lbs as well). The difficulty with that is that it also puts the 94-rated (on ORs) Supersonic Dave on 110, therefore I would query the reliability of the figure at least in the short term.

Taking all of this into account, I am leaning towards the original assessment (via Acapulco) but I believe Authorized is better than the bare form (dwelt at the start and was further back than ideal yet still won with something to spare) so I'm very easy about awarding him a '+'.

So, my provisional ratings for the first ten home are now:

Authorized 125+
Eagle Mountain 118
Aqaleem 115
Lucarno 115
Soldier Of Fortune 114
Salford Mill 113
Kid Mambo 111+
Yellowstone 110
Acapulco 105
Admiralofthefleet 105

Once I get the form book and can examine the other races for time comparisons, I might tweak these figures a bit.

Given that I expected Archipenko to get close to 130 it will be very interesting to see them clash later in the year.

Why the + for Kid Mambo, Do? Is it because he raced up with the overly fast early pace so might do better held up?

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Jun 3 2007, 01:18 PM
Kid Mambo made the running and kicked on early in the straight before weakening to finish not far behind Salford Mill. He is probably better than his finishing position and will be of interest this summer as he still managed to improve on his previous best.
In a nutshell, yes.

Diamond Tycoon 2nd in France today

Still getting slight *sob* emotions when I watch the re-run [up on Youtube btw] and see Locarno just run out of 3rd, as i had a nice e/w at 16w just before the off!! Wouldn;t change the winner for the world, though :clap: :clap:

Also had a nice reverse on the two Brits in the sprint at Chantilly which came 2nd & 3rd!!

Regarding the winner's next target, from PCH:

"Frankie wants to go for the Irish Derby next but we will see. We will sit down and think about that in a few days.

"I want to go for the Eclipse and at the backend I'd love to go for the Arc with this horse."

I say listen to Frankie.

Originally posted by gus+Jun 3 2007, 08:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gus @ Jun 3 2007, 08:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Warbler@Jun 2 2007, 07:17 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Galileo
@Jun 2 2007, 07:07 PM
Incidentally...what was Motivators time performance like in the Derby?

I had him with a short head of Kris Kin (practically dead heated) I was pleased when I woke the next day to find the sporting press proclaiming a vulnerable horse to be unbeatable. Didn't help me mind you, although I was pretty confident he wouldn't win again, I still backed the wrong one
Motivator's time performance in the Derby was a very good one on my figures (129) and considerably better than Kris Kin's. Timeform's timefigure for Motivator was 128, "the best in the race for some years." I can just about accept that someone can decide to oppose such a horse in future races on the ground that he'll go off at a false price but how anyone could be "pretty confident" after such a performance that the horse wouldn't win again is beyond me, I'm afraid, and the fact that he in the event didn't is neither here nor there.

Authorized's time yesterday comes out at a minimum 129 and a maximum 131 on my figures. I'd go with the higher figure but the appropriate going allowance produces a figure for the Woodcote which is slightly higher than I'd expect so I'll probably settle for 129 which means a going allowance very slightly on the minus (i.e. fast) side. [/b][/quote]
Apologies for the delay Gus, but I've dug the figures out. Remember these are time based only and make no concessions to form in the ratings, or projections of other horses. To some extent winners who weren't pushed out can get penalised a bit thus, as it is the time they stop the clock in that I pick up, and there are a few rogues in the sample (as there always is).

Basically what I did is simply take cross the card comparisons as the races have remained largely unaltered over the last 8 years. Alright the 10F, 3yo, 0-105, was an all age race before 2002. The Dash was a listed race rather than a handicap, and the 12F, 0-100 was a 0-105 in 2003. Such methodology is of course limited, in so far as a slower run tactical affair generates a slow time, as it makes no concession to how the race was run. With pretty well identical conditions though, and being run on the same course in the same week every year, the only thing that alters significantly is the ground, and making adjustments to this is perhaps the most important thing to do. I remove the slowest time on each card, and then average thus, in an attempt to filter out any race that is notably slow and corrupts the calculation. Such an approach is simplistic and in this case almost certainly has flattered North Light as I believe there to be 3 slow times on his card making the ground appear slower than it was, and hence his performance quicker.

Authorized = 111.58+
North Light = 111.23?
Galileo = 110.35+
Motivator = 108.58+
Kris Kin = 108.41
(Eagle Mountain) = 106.58
Sir Percy = 104.76p
High Chapperal = 102.17++

High Chapperal's Derby was run on softer ground making it a little bit more vulnerable, but the timed based evidence suggests it wasn't necessarily that strong a pace, although it was always possible that the ground was cutting up during racing. That Sir Percy was flat out to the line and still ran a comparatively slow time about 6.75L's behind Authorized points to him being a particularly poor winner.

Specifically you asked about Motivator, (a horse who I thought was on a mark with Kris Kin, on these figures he's a about a head in front).

I believe there is another a line that suggested Motivator was not a vintage winner, and that concerns comparisons made against the respective times with the 12F handicap run an hour later. Now in each instance the Derby is faster, as you would expect. Where the gap between the times is large, then I'd accept you might just as easily be picking up on a slowly run handicap, as much as you are a fast Derby. Indeed, this would be the most likely explanation. Where the gap is smaller though, I tend to think there's a greater likelihood that you're alighting on a slower Derby, rather than a particularly fast handicap (though clearly handicappers can run pattern class times now and then).

The followinbg figures are the seconds and lengths that the Derby was run faster than the 12F C&D handicap.

Authorized = 4.39 secs / 25.75L's
High Chapperal = 2.16 secs /12.75L's
Sinndar = 2.10 secs / 12.5L's
Galileo = 1.84 secs / 10.75L's
North Light = 1.53 secs / 9L's
Kris Kin = 1.45 secs / 8.5L's
Sir Percy = 1.37 secs / 8L's
Motivator = 0.98 secs / 5.75L's

Now whether this proves anything, or has any grounds to be presented as evidence of anything either, or is just coincidence is of course a matter of opinion? The hierarchy that it generates is quite interesting though and wouldn't be too far removed from a legitimate rank order, its certainly nearer than my first rank order. You could point out that perhaps Motivator ran on to a particularly fast handicapper on his card? I couldn't disregard the possibility. The average distance however is 1.97 secs / 11.5L's, and Motivator was still significantly down on this expectation, or the handicapper was a group 3/ 2 horse in the making.

Personally I was reasonably happy that there was a stronger possibility that Motivator was a hype horse resulting from the visual impression he made in winning, rather than anything he managed on the clock, and thus prepared to take him on at short odds in the Eclipse. That I didn't find Oratorio meant that the insight (I use the word loosely) was wasted

In fact I'm tempted to see just who the hell won that handicap in 2005 now norty

Originally posted by Ardross+Jun 3 2007, 10:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ardross @ Jun 3 2007, 10:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galileo@Jun 3 2007, 11:40 AM

Well as Yellowstone was four lengths behind those scrapping for third and Archipenko had only beaten him three parts of a length at leopardstown . I don't think that is an unfair assessment on what we have seen of where Archipenko was likely to have finished . [/b][/quote]
I'm also curious as to why some good judges rate Archipenko so highly. He is clearly decent, but I can't see anything in his form or make up to suggest he should have been in the frame yesterday. I think the form with Yellowstone and Macarthur looks pretty pedestrian.

Originally posted by Warbler@Jun 3 2007, 03:56 PM
In fact I'm tempted to see just who the hell won that handicap in 2005 now
1. Crow Wood
2. Balkan Knight
3. Sergeant Cecil

:nuts:

Originally posted by Gamla Stan+Jun 3 2007, 03:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gamla Stan @ Jun 3 2007, 03:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warbler@Jun 3 2007, 03:56 PM
In fact I'm tempted to see just who the hell won that handicap in 2005 now
1. Crow Wood
2. Balkan Knight
3. Sergeant Cecil

:nuts: [/b][/quote]
:laughing:

Bit naughty to use hindsight I suppose, (well it is full stop as we didn't have it at the time) but given that it was Crow Wood who stopped the clock, I'm seriously struggling to see how beating him by less than a second entitles Motivator to be regarded as a fast winner

Originally posted by Headstrong@Jun 3 2007, 02:34 PM
Diamond Tycoon 2nd in France today

Sorry, I'm at it again, talking off the top of my head...

It was Majestic Roi 2nd in the 2.10 at Chantilly, not DT

Originally posted by SteveM@Jun 3 2007, 03:07 PM
I'm also curious as to why some good judges rate Archipenko so highly. He is clearly decent, but I can't see anything in his form or make up to suggest he should have been in the frame yesterday. I think the form with Yellowstone and Macarthur looks pretty pedestrian.
But he certainly shouldn't have been beaten out of sight and I'd prefer to see how the remainder of the season unfolds before consigning the Derrinstown form to the bin.

If I've got the far side in the Guineas wrong, and therefore the Derrinstown, I'll hold my hands up and prostrate myself at the mercy of the forum.

Let's see how the form develops this summer.

Still getting slight *sob* emotions when I watch the re-run [up on Youtube btw] and see Locarno just run out of 3rd, as i had a nice e/w at 16w just before the off!!

Yes, and I backed it e/w at 20s on Thursday evening. Talking through my pocket, absolutely gutted to see LUCARNO lose third by a head but there you go shrug::

I've only just watched the race :) (don't ask). Hard not to be impressed by the winner who was travelling far best from two furlongs out. In earlier times, AUTHORISED would have been nailed on for the King George but the quality of older horses staying in training is much improved and the recent record of 3-y-o in the Ascot feature far from inspiring.

EAGLE MOUNTAIN ran a fine race and will doubtless be well fancied for the Curragh and in the absence of the winner, he's the obvious candidate. AQAALEEM did well and I was pleased with LUCARNO though I'm worried about four races in such a short time. That said, he could be the one for the King Edward VII at Ascot for example.

It was 5th he got in fact wasn't it? - they paid out on 4th

So frustrating that Teofilo couldn't have taken his part in this and in the 2000 so we coudl judge the relative merits of the top 2 yr olds. Maddening, really, as i think the few at the very top are quite special

Warbler, we obviously use different methods. I'm happy with my high figure for Motivator's time but I accept that there's an element of judgement involved and none of us will get it right every time. I've settled on 129 for Authorized's time yesterday. In his case, the comparison with the 12f handicap flatters him as it was clearly slowly-run. I have to say I'm struck by the remarkable similarities between Motivator and Authorized at this stage of their careers: impressive winners of the Racing Post Trophy in fast times on their second and final runs as juveniles, equally impressive winners of the Dante first time out at three and going on to justify favouritism in the Derby by five lengths and (about) three, recording - on my figures - identical timeratings.

Motivator's subsequent career should act as a warning to everyone who thinks Authorized will carry all before him from here onwards. I think he probably will but I thought the same about Motivator.

the recent record of 3-y-o in the Ascot feature far from inspiring.

Since Alamshar and Kris Kin finished first and third in 2003, only two 3yos have even run in the race - Tycoon and Eswarah.

Back