The Derby

So, Archipenko. Didn't handle the course, or just eased down when it was obvious he couldn't get competitive?

Never going a yard, I noticed Kinane niggle him after two furlongs and was beat long before stamina would have been tested.

Hard luck Gal. He's obviously better than he showed today. But as you know I never really thought this was the race for him.

You you did indeed Steve...just hope he comes out of the race ok as he is a colt with considerable potential in my view.

Originally posted by Euronymous+Jun 2 2007, 06:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Euronymous @ Jun 2 2007, 06:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gareth Flynn@Jun 2 2007, 06:42 PM
Lovely run by the runner-up (who gets the trip).

And duly goes to the Irish Derby.
Right out the back most of the way round, i reckon he can get closer to the winner if they meet again. [/b][/quote]
I think so too. I don't think he needs holding up to get the trip if that's what you mean. Ridden knowing he gets the trip would have seen him nearer no doubt.

Back to Dettori....just trying to think Godolphin dont have a horse that would stop him from riding him in something like the King George or Arc do they?

Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 2 2007, 06:22 PM
You you did indeed Steve...just hope he comes out of the race ok as he is a colt with considerable potential in my view.
I agree. This is best forgotten. Just the wrong race.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 2 2007, 05:35 PM
And with all the times in, I've got the winner on 102.89 (on a scale where 100 equals a Group 1 winner, and each point equals 1 length over a mile).

There's still some question marks over how he'll handle faster ground, but surely, finally, he can do what no Derby winner since High Chaparral has managed: win again!
101.00+ with me

What do you make today's ground than Gareth?

I've got the word Firm in the description. I just decide whether I'd call it Good with G/F in places, or G/F with Good in places +2.65? I assume you've taken the sprint course out?

On the fast side of Good, definitely, Warbs. The sprint course didn't enter my calculations either way.

If the ground was that fast it bodes well for Authorised handling faster ground I would have thought. An impressive win by Dylan Thomas at Ascot would set up a nice clash in the Eclipse or the King George.

Very impressive indeed.. travelled supremely well then showed a really impressive turn of foot when the button was pressed..

Couldn't fault the ride myself.. I know he wasn't in the first 6 rounding Tattenham Corner but, given the way he broke, it would have been a mistake for Frankie to have pushed him up with the leaders in the circumstances, especially with a colt with such a high cruising speed not to mention such a potent turn of foot..

O'Brien looks like he has a wealth of talent that may prove best at around 10f btw.. Archipenko (still a promising prospect), Eagle Mountain (although he stays the mile and a half), Mount Nelson and Duke of Marmalade..

Problem is the winner looks like he could go that route...

Interesting to know what they plan to do at the end of the year...retire him...if so where?

Interesting question Gal.. the same connections sold Araafa to the Plantation Stud at the end of his 3yo year (actually before it ended).. will certainly be interesting to see where he ends up..

The Racingpost's analysis:

Seldom since Entrepreneur went off at 4-6 in 1997 has the Derby build-up been dominated to such an extent by one horse, or perhaps more pertinently one rider. However, while Authorized had looked different class when following up last year's Racing Post Trophy win so impressively in the Dante, and offered Frankie Dettori his best opportunity yet, this Derby looked no less intriguing an affair than any before it, with an eight-strong battalion from Ballydoyle potentially adding a massive additional tactical dimension to a race in which there were all the usual stamina, temperament and going questions to be answered.
Teofilo's continued absence robbed the race of last year's outstanding juvenile, and Classic form was thin on the ground, with only three unplaced runners from the 2,000 Guineas to represent it, but it featured the winners of all of the main trials, plus unexposed runners with the scope still to improve significantly over the longer distance.
The drying ground meant that the going would not be much of an excuse for any beaten runners, and a race run at a strong pace throughout passed with remarkably little incident and no hint of team tactics.
As at York, AUTHORIZED was simply different class, and the manner in which he stormed clear inside the final two furlongs to win by a margin that has not been bettered since Slip Anchor won in 1985, suggests he must be right up there with the best recent winners of the race.
A little warm behind the saddle initially but otherwise in tremendous shape again, he soon settled down and, by the time they arrived at the start, there were many others who looked much hotter.
One of the slowest away, he was much further back through the first furlong then one would have wanted him to be, but Dettori did not rush him into contention and instead rode him with no end of confidence. Still only ninth approaching the straight, but with all those behind him in trouble and the leaders in his sights, he cruised up on the outside to join issue around two furlongs out and then quickened right away when asked to go and win his race. He was given a couple of smacks to make sure, but it really wasn't necessary for he strode away imperiously to win with overwhelming authority. He equalled the winning margin ofsuch outstanding colts as Nashwan, Generous and Motivator in a time that could not have been even contemplated when soft ground was on the cards earlier in the week, for it was quicker than the 2005 and 2006 time and more than a second under the Racing Post's standard.
He looks far and away the best middle-distance three-year-old around and will be very hard to beat. A drop back in trip for the Coral-Eclipse will not trouble him, and one could see him going through the season unbeaten.
The 2,000 Guineas fifth Eagle Mountain beat the rest by a clear margin and did remarkably well to finish where he did, having had only a couple behind him into the straight, connections reporting he had been interfered with a little earlier on. He made up a deal of ground in the straight, following a similar path to Authorized, but the winner had long gone. He will now be aimed at the Irish Derby, and if Authorized is absent he will take plenty of beating.
Aqaleem didn't have anything like the form claims of the stable's 2006 winner Sir Percy, for the Lingfield trial did not take a lot of winning, but he had been impressive there and carried a fair measure of stable optimism. He got warm in the parade ring, but proceeded to run a blinder in third, soon in a good position from what connections saw as a tricky draw and sticking on gamely. He looks obvious St Leger material.
Lucarno made his racecourse debut less than two months ago, but he was tremendously impressive in a small field at Newmarket lastweek and justified the bold decision to run him again so quickly with a cracking effort in fourth. Another who was in the leading group throughout, he went into second behind Kid Mambo just before Authorized arrived on the scene and missed third by only a head. He has had four quick races now, but connections are thinking about races like the King Edward VII or the Grand Prix de Paris, and he surely has a major race in him at some stage.
Soldier Of Fortune looked a stayer in the Chester Vase, and although he ran really well here, he just lacked a bit of pace. He could be a St Leger type too, but would be worth his chance in the Irish Derby first.
Salford Mill's trainer had misgivings about the ground, but it dried out so much that it cannot have inconvenienced him too much. He didn't go well through the first half of the race and was still among the backmarkers straightening for home, but he picked up well approaching the two-furlong marker and kept on to the line. He looks a likely type for the King Edward VII.
Kid Mambo, placed behind the Oaks winner Light Shift at Newbury and behind Aqaleem at Lingfield, had a lot more use made of him here and set a really good pace. It was only inside the last two furlongs that he was eventually headed, and connections concluded that he did not stay. He will drop back to around 1m2f now.
The Derrinstown second Yellowstone ran much better than his stablemate Archipenko, who beat him there, but once again he looked a stayer.
There were stamina doubts about Archipenko, but he was beaten long before that became an issue and Michael Kinane reported he had lost his action coming down the hill.
The inexperienced Acapulco, another from the O'Brien camp, was driven into third as they straightened up, and although he couldn't hold his position, he was far from disgraced. He was clear of a much shorter-priced stablemate, the Royal Lodge and Dee Stakes winner Admiralofthefleet, who probably didn't stay.
There was quite a gap back to Mahler, another from the stable and a progressive type. He had been a live outsider in the morning but was in trouble rounding Tattenham Corner.
Anton Chekov chased the leader until into the straight but droppedright out. The ground would have been plenty quick enough for him.
The Sandown winner Regime looked in great shape and appeared to be first-six material at least, but Martin Dwyer felt he might have tweaked a muscle early on as he was never reallygoing.
Rank-outsider Leander started slowly and was always well back. Fellow 100-1 chance Petara Bay, who had far better form and had beaten Salford Mill at Newmarket, was never travelling and connections were baffled by his performance. They think the world of him and an excuse had emerged for his Sandown defeat, but this was very disappointing.
Connections of classy juvenile Strategic Prince expressed major misgivings about the ground, but while it wasn't as quick as they would have liked, that in itself cannot explain his performance here. Failing stamina was as big a factor and he beat only Archipenko. (GD)

On my figures I have Authorized run 5L faster than your benchmark 3yo G1 Colt, and even Eagle Mountain passed the threshold (by some 0.11). I'm sure I've got the figures spot on, and he looks a serious prospect against the older horses aswell later in the year.

I had him at 101.45. - he'd have been second today. I'd need to go back and check but I'm pretty sure Motivator replicated something like it in the Irish Champion Stakes. Just happened to keep coming up against a better 10f horse...

Authorized is clearly a well above average Derby winner, and if connections are so minded, he would be a certainty for the St Leger.

But this seems unlikely, unfortunately, and Aqaleem might well win it in his absence, although there's enough time for an unexposed type to pop up from somewhere.

Eagle Mountain got the 12f ok, and can win a Group 1 over 10/12f (if Authorized doesn't turn up on the same day).

Lucarno performed very creditably, and is a tough customer who may have more improvement in him than either EM or Aqaleem.

Presumably there was something wrong with Archipenko.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 2 2007, 05:18 PM
So, Archipenko. Didn't handle the course, or just eased down when it was obvious he couldn't get competitive?

Never going a yard, I noticed Kinane niggle him after two furlongs and was beat long before stamina would have been tested.
Indeed, but any thoughts as to why?

Back