The Derby

Very pleasing from Authorized. A bit spare behind, then again Derby horses don't need big arses.

I'd probably be happy enough taking the price he is now on the day, but not now.

Visually impressive performance from Authorised and another horse full of potential

I'd be a layer at current odds, and would be very happy laying him with Archipenko, Soldier of Fortune, Amiralofthefleet etc on my side

Tamure stayed .

Authorized was impressive but 6-4 now no thanks .I can't see him being shorter on the day especially if Dettori is claimed by Godolphin.

Be interesting to see what rating Authorised is awarded for this

Yellowstone, Adagio, Al Shemali all within spitting distance of each other in Guineas, Raincoat beat 91 and below horses in Epsom Trial

113/115 shrug::

Get to see Jalil tomorrow as well, wonder if he is gonna improve on his reputation.

I still fancy Eagle Mountain and would happily accommodate punters at 6/4 Authorized. Will be completely different ground and completely different style of race and track.

Just watched the race and whilst impressed with Authorized he has a high knee action and i`d definately lay him on fast ground at Epsom.

Raincoat will be better on fast ground but I should have thought Ascot for him .

First is of course how members of the aristocracy pronounce fast :shy:

A short head away from a Group 1 performance on my clock. Best of the trials so far, and he already had an excellent rating from the RP Trophy. Looks a good thing for the Derby now, ground permitting.

Six day whip ban for Fortune so unless an appeal is allowed he won't be deputising on Authorized !

I had a second look about the whip ban, I thought it was a bit harsh. It will be no surprise if it gets appeal.

I'd say the ground was genuinely Good ground looking at the times.

I still prefer Admiralofthefleet on my ratings but he is going to be very hard to oppose at Epsom unless it comes up lightning quick. Chapple-Hyam said he'd need the run today too.

Originally posted by Will@May 17 2007, 09:33 PM
I had a second look about the whip ban, I thought it was a bit harsh. It will be no surprise if it gets appeal.
Fortune administered fifteen hard blows, right and left handed, in the straight. It's not the first time and he deserved everything he got from the stewards.

He also brought the whip down with considerable force. Interested to note that after AP got one home yesterday, the commentator said 'I think they'll be throwing a rug over that one pretty quickly'. Not nice, even if it did force a win - I don't suppose winning punters will give a toss how their money gets returned, though. Just another 'well done, AP', 'only AP could get that home' crap.

Originally posted by Ardross@May 17 2007, 10:26 PM
Six day whip ban for Fortune so unless an appeal is allowed he won't be deputising on Authorized !
I didn’t see the race but according to the trainer Fortune was hard done by.

Brian Ellison, trainer of Great As Gold, expressed outrage at Fortune's six-day ban and urged the jockey to launch an appeal.
"I can't believe it and feel so sorry for Jimmy," said the Malton handler.
"Everyone knows he (Great As Gold) is a very hard ride and all Jimmy was doing was trying his best.
"Jimmy said afterwards that the horse could have gone round again.
"The horse also came back in grand order and ate up fine.
"To get done six days for trying your best is a disgrace."

PA

If Dettori is claimed by Godolphin and Fortune can’t take part who is next in line for the Derby favourite?

DETTORI FREE TO RIDE AUTHORIZED

By Keith Hamer, PA Sport

Frankie Dettori has been granted permission by Godolphin to partner hot favourite Authorized in the Vodafone Derby.

It will be the best chance Dettori has had to land a first triumph in the world's greatest Classic that has so far proved elusive.

The Italian's boss Sheikh Mohammed today gave his approval for the Godolphin-retained jockey to ride Peter Chapple-Hyam's runner at Epsom on June 2.

Dettori has successfully ridden Authorized in the Group One Racing Post Trophy and also in Thursday's totesport.com Dante Stakes at York, in which he strengthened his place at the head of the Derby market.

"Frankie Dettori will ride Authorized in the Derby," the Newmarket trainer told www.peterchapplehyam.com.

"We would like to extend our thanks to Sheikh Mohammed for allowing this.

"It is a sporting and kind gesture by Sheikh Mohammed and we are very grateful to him."

The colt is reported to be in tip-top shape following his four-length romp over Raincoat in the Group Two contest on the Knavesmire.

"I was thrilled with the horse's performance," added Chapple-Hyam.

"It was a great day and we hope there are more to come with him.

"He seems fine after his race - good as gold. There are no problems at all with him."

The rest of Authorized's connections are eagerly awaiting Derby day.

"He did it very impressively. There's still better to come from him - he needed the race," said Tony Nerses, racing manager to owners Saleh Al Homaizi and Imad Al Sagar.

"We are very excited. He is the worthy favourite for the Derby now.

"He showed he has trained on and he's everything you want a horse to be.

"We never doubted him. I backed him at 66-1 for the Derby before he had seen a racecourse. From what he had shown on the gallops we had faith in him.

"He's fine and has come out of the race well. We are very pleased with the way he has taken the race.

"Barring accidents we are all set to go to Epsom now."

Source: Sporting Life

I'm surprised Godolphin appear to have thrown in the towel when there is still two weeks before the race. A lot can change in a matter of hours with 3-y-os at this time in the season.

Id say it is more of a case of Giving Frankie the option and he chose Authorised.I imagine he went home yesterday evening, and after putting a "Frankie Dettori Pizza" in the oven, rang up to plead his case...and they have said go ahead...I wouldnt read too much into it, they may have a horse for the derby after all........

Originally posted by krizon@May 18 2007, 10:57 AM
He also brought the whip down with considerable force. Interested to note that after AP got one home yesterday, the commentator said 'I think they'll be throwing a rug over that one pretty quickly'. Not nice, even if it did force a win - I don't suppose winning punters will give a toss how their money gets returned, though. Just another 'well done, AP', 'only AP could get that home' crap.
McCoy didn't ride a winner yesterday and there's no mention of any excessive force used on the 3 winners on the 2 previous days. Are you sure you've got the right man?

Originally posted by del boy@May 18 2007, 01:02 PM
Id say it is more of a case of Giving Frankie the option and he chose Authorised.I imagine he went home yesterday evening, and after putting a "Frankie Dettori Pizza" in the oven, rang up to plead his case...and they have said go ahead...I wouldnt read too much into it, they may have a horse for the derby after all........
...If they really had anything for the Derby do you imagine they would show such largesse. It's pretty clear they are not expecting any of the colts to come good for this.

Some may be interested in my handicapper friend's current assessment of the race:

The position at the moment:

Name:Epsom Derby Group 1 Date: 02/06/2007
Course: Epsom
Distance: 12.00 Ground: Good

1 AUTHORIZED 71
2 ADMIRALOFTHEFLEET 67
3 SOLDIER OF FORTUNE 67
4 AQALEEM 65
5 ARCHIPENKO 64
6 SALFORD MILL 63
7 REGIME 63
8 ARABIAN GULF 63 hdw
9 RAINCOAT 63
10 YELLOWSTONE 62
11 STRATEGIC PRINCE 61 hdw

last year: Sir Percy (72)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember Septimus won last years Dante by 8 lengths running to an identical rating as Authorized.

Back