The Derby

Really interesting about Cape Blanco; I had a word with one of the Ballydoyle lads on track and they said he was a shade stiff after the race.

Has AP O'Brien ever pulled this before?

I think Gal put his finger on it. They don't like their future stallions being examined too closely. I have been told before that you don't really get the full history as regards their stallions and any imperfections they may have had.

I dont agree with alot of what Nick Mordin writes but he did have an interesting article in the Weekender this week about the ratings achieved by horses leading up to the Derby, and using his system the only horse to qualify as the most likely Derby winner is Cape Blanco.

Given that Erhaab holds the record for the fastest run Dante at 2m6.18s, Cape Blanco ran it in 2m6.70s the ground must have been fast and Cape Blanco is prob a Grp 1 horse in waiting.

I dont agree with alot of what Nick Mordin writes but he did have an interesting article in the Weekender this week about the ratings achieved by horses leading up to the Derby, and using his system the only horse to qualify as the most likely Derby winner is Cape Blanco.
And it isn't likely to be good enough so it's likely something will find the requisite improvement on the day.

But form of the race overall isnt looking so great now? Co Cut was well back in field of course but hard to believe that was real running with Hanson d in front for one. The leading three didnt do much in guineas of course. Other than that?

I wouldnt be at all suprised if todays winner suprises connections again

Exactly. The form of the RPT is NOT working out to date in the races that matter, but some people would rather ignore the evidence of their eyes once they have an antepost bet on.

Cape Blanco looks a worthy favourite to me in a generally uninspiring year. Lovely looking horse. I think he'll win the Eclipse regardless.

Exactly. The form of the RPT is NOT working out to date in the races that matter, but some people would rather ignore the evidence of their eyes once they have an antepost bet on.

Cape Blanco looks a worthy favourite to me in a generally uninspiring year. Lovely looking horse. I think he'll win the Eclipse regardless.

The form has not worked out based on ONE race. It worked out in the Craven, in the Chester trials and in the Dante yesterday with CC running well.

Even aside from SNA - it is pretty clear to me that Elusive Pimpernel got no run of the race in the Guineas in terms of race position or by how the race was run. He is much better than that effort and expect him to prove so.

Edited to say the only worry with Cape Blanco is if they put Heffernan up, then he would need to be 3 pounds or so better than the rest. Surely they'd use a top jockey? I thought the same last year with Fame and Glory so perhaps not.

The form has not worked out based on ONE race. It worked out in the Craven, in the Chester trials and in the Dante yesterday with CC running well.

Even aside from SNA - it is pretty clear to be that Elusive Pimpernel got no run of the race in the Guineas in terms of race position or by how the race was run. He is much better than that effort and expect him to prove so.

There has been one top race - the Guineas. The first 3 were unplaced, and didn't threaten.

Co-ordindated Cut ran no kind of race in the RPT and I hate it when people use examples like his run in the RPT as evidence of a race working out or not.

I am not saying SNA won't or can't win the Derby. However, for someone to come on here and say the form is working out is plain wrong, and insulting to anyone who has ever picked up a formbook.

It depends if the Ballydoyle jocks are riding to instructions. OK BBI would no way have won last years Derby , but riding right at the back of the field in a slow run race ( set up for RVW ) he had no chance from the start.

That is quite a stat for SNA to overcome " in the last 21 years 23 horses have failed to reach the first 4 in the 2000 Guineas have run in the Derby without success".

Thats it in a nutshell

I really like Cape Blanco. Interesting Francomes comments comparing how he had really grwon this year (compared to SNA). Not had time to look at pedigree yet and as someone who always likes to see good staying evidence for the derby, are the doubters possibly correct?

You are insulted by it? Get a grip....it is called a difference of opinion and the formbook is there to be interpreted not blindly followed. My reading of the Guineas has been said before - the two RPT horses ran pretty well in a race that did not show them in the best light. You see it in a different light which is fair enough.

There has been one top race - the Guineas. The first 3 were unplaced, and didn't threaten.

Co-ordindated Cut ran no kind of race in the RPT and I hate it when people use examples like his run in the RPT as evidence of a race working out or not.

I am not saying SNA won't or can't win the Derby. However, for someone to come on here and say the form is working out is plain wrong, and insulting to anyone who has ever picked up a formbook.

I will bet you anything John Fran could not tell you what colour the horse was prior to seeing him in the parade ring yesterday let alone how he looked as a two year old - in saying that he is a fine looking individual.

More often than not Ballydoyle's opinion on their horse get proved right in the end - took Rip Van Winkle until the Eclipse to prove his merit.

Thats it in a nutshell

I really like Cape Blanco. Interesting Francomes comments comparing how he had really grwon this year (compared to SNA). Not had time to look at pedigree yet and as someone who always likes to see good staying evidence for the derby, are the doubters possibly correct?

That is quite a stat for SNA to overcome " in the last 21 years 23 horses have failed to reach the first 4 in the 2000 Guineas have run in the Derby without success

Im not a great one for stats, but allied to that is the suspicion that it wasnt a great guineas too. Maybe thats always the prejudiced reaction by many, when theres a suprise winner and possibly when any Hannon runner is in the frame.

Time will tell, but I do find comments like "great" peformance by SNA very strange indeed. it clearly wasnt. And beyond that, it clearly fell a long way short of that expected by big punting connections (judging by late moves on day before)

Last edited:
I will bet you anything John Fran could not tell you what colour the horse was prior to seeing him in the parade ring yesterday let alone how he looked as a two year old - in saying that he is a fine looking individual.

Well. Thats akin to calling him a liar

You with SNA then Desert Orchid ?
I backed it straight after the Guineas and am very happy with that bet.

However, it doesn't mean I won;t be scouring the form for something I think might also have a shout. I'll be surprised if I alight upon something like Cape Blanco but it might just be one of those years.

I'm also on record - more than once - as saying I still think the Dewhurst rather than the RPT was the key to this year's top 3yos, although it might not find us the Derby winner.

I'm quite used tio farting against thunder on here. It took people ages to realise how good RVW was last year or exactly how hot the Eclipse was.

and the formbook is there to be interpreted not blindly followed

Of course, But you are interpreting CC's run as true, which it obviously wasnt. You cannot back up the form of the RPT by his run that day.

The unsatisfactory aspect of the Guineas was that it wasn't a true-run race so we don't really know how the form will pan out. All it told us was that Makfi won it well in the circumstances, circumstances that maybe suited it better but maybe Makfi will end up the top 3yo miler anyway.

I think if you look back through Ballydoyle reps that were beaten in Guineas and check their subsequent form, you'll find plenty of reason to expect significant improvement as the season wears on.

Back