The Derby

I still fancy my horse if he runs. I'm sure I will get laughed at for it and accused of being biased but for a horse that is crying out for a mile and half he ran a cracker yesterday not to mention he is one of the few near the fore front of the betting that are guaranteed to get the trip.

What about refusing to let them interview the stable lad ?

What exactly was the stablelad going to tell them?

Initially when I read it last night it sounded as though O'Brien point blankly refused to allow them to see the horse - that would have been unsatisfactory. But seeing as he did, then I think it was fair enough that they did not want him to trotted again once they had applied the treatment.

Imagine they would have had a plane booked back to Ireland and presumably they were delayed enough given how things went.

I agree with that though the one thing that confuses me is what right have the stewards/on course vet got to see your horse at all unless it is to take a random blood test?

I still fancy my horse if he runs. I'm sure I will get laughed at for it and accused of being biased but for a horse that is crying out for a mile and half he ran a cracker yesterday not to mention he is one of the few near the fore front of the betting that are guaranteed to get the trip.

I don't personally fancy him to win it, but think he could well stay on and run to a very good position - the only reason I suggested the King Edward on the other thread was he could well have a near favourite's chance of winning that. Do you seem him as a Leger type?

It does not look a weak Derby if you have backed the Ballydoyle horses anti post, all 3 look like being top horses, they are all open to improvement, expect one of them or even Jan Vermeer will go on to win the Irish Derby also. If there was no SNA , Cape Blanco would be a red hot favourite for the Derby.

CB will stay.

Sounds like the Stewards owe Aidan an apology.

I'd be inclined to think that might not happen.

Why would the stewards be so insistent that they walked the horse a second time for the vet? Something does not quite fit neatly with Galileo's relating of the AOB side of the story. I imagine we'll have to wait for the enquiry to find out what actually happened and what people involved thought was happening.

When they say they wanted to talk to the stable lad do they mean the actual stable lad or the travelling head lad (who is O'Brien's official rep on course, right?).

Blimey just seen the pictures of Cape Blanco trotting after racing yesterday he did look badly lame.

My concern with SNA is he simply doesn't look very robust and that doesn't compare well with the ST PADDY theory. He'll be athletic enough to cope with Epsom, sure but does he lack scope ?

Kauto's CC would not surptise me one bit if he won or placed, especially if he gets good ground, not fim as yesterday. Bred for the job after all!

Aidan O’Brien has reported impressive Dante Stakes winner Cape Blanco to be “comfortable” after his impressive win at York.

There was plenty of controversy in the aftermath of the race when Cape Blanco was reportedly lame and O’Brien refused a request from the vet at York to trot the horse up.

The Ballydoyle handler had told reporters at an open day earlier in the week that Cape Blanco had picked up a minor injury on his heel and it appears the three-year-old knocked the same area again in winning the race.

“We were delighted with Cape Blanco’s win in the Dante at York yesterday,” reported O’Brien on www.coolmore.com.

“He travelled very easily throughout the race and quickened up well when Johnny asked him.

“Unfortunately he knocked his heel again in the race and was very sore on it. However, he walked out this morning and seems much more comfortable.”

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/obrien-issues-upbeat-blanco-bulletin-457645.html#ixzz0nuJ4sM16

What exactly was the stablelad going to tell them?

Initially when I read it last night it sounded as though O'Brien point blankly refused to allow them to see the horse - that would have been unsatisfactory. But seeing as he did, then I think it was fair enough that they did not want him to trotted again once they had applied the treatment.

Imagine they would have had a plane booked back to Ireland and presumably they were delayed enough given how things went.

The simple point is that the rules of racing require them to comply with the directions of the racecourse stewards. I assume the report means they wanted to speak to the stable lad with care of the horse but it might have been the THL , whatever the rules require compliance .

The same applies to refusing to allow the racecourse vets to view the horse .

The simple point is that the rules of racing require them to comply with the directions of the racecourse stewards. I assume the report means they wanted to speak to the stable lad with care of the horse but it might have been the THL , whatever the rules require compliance .

The same applies to refusing to allow the racecourse vets to view the horse .

Indeed, I am not saying who is right or who is wrong - I am just pointing out that everywhere bar the Racing Post this morning suggests O'Brien did not let the stewards look at the horse at all yesterday. That is incorrect - he did but not for a second time after the horse was iced and polticed.

Indeed, I am not saying who is right or who is wrong - I am just pointing out that everywhere bar the Racing Post this morning suggests O'Brien did not let the stewards look at the horse at all yesterday. That is incorrect - he did but not for a second time after the horse was iced and polticed.

That would be a good reason for refusing to trot him up but surely not to refuse them to look at him or for gagging his staff.

Amateurs -possibly under the influence of alcohol -interfering with the workings of a world leading organisation.

Why should O'Brien, when his staff are leaving to catch a plane, agree to having the horse trotted up again after it has already been trotted up, found lame, and examined? Sounds to me like the stewards are harassing O'Brien over this matter. It's pathetic anyway, a racecourse vet will do no more than look the horse over, pronounce it lame then not treat it - best thing all round is to get him comfortable and take him home to be treated. It's not as though Ballydoyle are going to leave the horse lame and untreated, for God's sake!!

I've had 2 occasions when I had lame horses post-race and both times the horses pulled up sound but started to go lame as they cooled off back in the stabling area. Neither were in anyway distressed to make you think they had fractures but both were enough for me to get the racecourse vet out to examine them. Both had fractures which had they travelled would have most certainly have worsened without the support bandaging the vet put on them. And both were taken straight to vet hospitals close by the course for xrays and surgery (both were fine long term).
Now AOB's staff knew the horse had suffered a heel injury prior to the race and presumably put the post race unsoundness down to him aggravating this injury which is quite possibly the case.
I think because the horse was seen to be unsound on C4 and it was the subject of discussion, it probably came to the attention of the stewards who felt obliged to enquire after the well-being of the horse and have the racecourse vet examine it.

Back