The Derby

When even Galileo is having doubts it's hard not to be cynical.

:) Ha ha I am not being cynical - just questioning if they will keep him going. I think they will...if they thought he wasn't as good as they thought he could easily have pulled muscled a while ago without this messing about! To read the statement it all sounds as though it will be a straight forward recovery.

Prior to the Eclipse how many of us believed Rip Van Winkle was just a hype horse?

Prior to the Eclipse how many of us believed Rip Van Winkle was just a hype horse?

I.

But, he was - the Eclipse was the first time he showed himself to be top class - and it was his 6th run so he was fair game to be called such until he had proven it.

When they noticed he was stiff this morning - Read the full quote.

Load of tosh - The horse isn't good enough. I reckon he's fine but they've known since before the guineas he wasn't that good. I am being completely cynical though!!!

I reckon you'e spot on.

I wish he had run in the Derby as I think he would have been exposed, and a potential stallion would be damaged.

I would think there is less chance of him racing again than not.

but I do not like some of the over the top quotes coming from O'Brien over the last week or so

Your implication is that AOB has been preparing his obituary since well before the "muscle problem" was discovered. First Tiger Woods, now this.

I.

But, he was - the Eclipse was the first time he showed himself to be top class - and it was his 6th run so he was fair game to be called such until he had proven it.

Exactly - but they were eventually proved right about him. St Nicholas Abbey has achieved far more as a two year old and I look forward to seeing him again (fingers crossed) proving it on a the track as a 3 year old.

Your implication is that AOB has been preparing his obituary since well before the "muscle problem" was discovered. First Tiger Woods, now this.

His "obituary" started once he disappointed in his work on Friday and presumably they had a fair idea that something was not right.

George Washington returned from muscle injuries in his three year old career when people assumed he would be whisked off to stud - and he was much more valuable as a stallion than St Nicholas Abbey currently is.

It is purely guess work that people are now saying Ballydoyle know now that he is no good. Nothing prior to Friday's workout suggested that - with the market time and time again speaking in his favour.

St Nicholas Abbey has achieved far more as a two year old and I look forward to seeing him again (fingers crossed) proving it on a the track as a 3 year old.

I hope he never runs again and is a jaffa. Then I hope they bring him back a al George Washington and he ends up being ten pounds worse than he was a 2yo running in crappy Group 3s.

It is purely guess work that people are now saying Ballydoyle know now that he is no good. Nothing prior to Friday's workout suggested that - with the market time and time again speaking in his favour.
I do actually agree with most of that.

But admit you're not 100% convinced he has a muscle problem at the moment.

But admit you're not 100% convinced he has a muscle problem at the moment.

Coming from a stallion operation I of course wouldn't be 100% sure. It will be interesting to see over the next few days what the vibes are about future campaign.

He's obviously not "no good" but he's worth more standing now than getting wupped in the Derby. Touch of the Teofilo's about this.

Anyone else think it's a bit strange they haven't mentioned future races?

Not really, At this stage he might as well see what happens at Epsom and what cards he has to play. If he gets the Derby winner, he'd probably want a dual Derby winner, if not he might want to take on the Derby winner with SNA wherever he goes.

Midas Touch is a lot shorter. Will they really risk all three and leave themselves open to not winning either at Epsom or Chantilly?

At the current prices nothing really appeals at the front of the market.

With Fame And Glory, Rip Van Winkle and possibly one or two three year olds retiring this season - St Nicholas Abbey will have to achieve more on the track to be a significant concern for Coolmore if he retires this season relative to have he would have been expected to be priced at.

Back