The Derby

He simply hasnt trained on has he?

Were those that observed that he didnt seem happy raing in the guineas (DJ i recall for one) ultimately proved right?

A great shame, but i bet this is last we have seen of him

Ok Bully i'll enter your comp!!!

I just wish i'd backed Jan Vermeer when he was a sensible price... His price is way too short now and i'd be looking elsewhere.. The only horse that looks any value now is Midas Touch

I don't think it's a given that JV will go to the Derby unless they've said so ?

Who ever of the PR people came up with "we always thought St Nic could walk on water" should be hung.

I have to say that I'm really sorry that SNA isn't running. It is a long time since I was as impressed by a 2yo and I really hope he makes it back and wins a big one later in the season.

Just so you can see it's not an anti-Ballydoyle thing! - I don't see how he is second favourite - yes, there is perhaps an excuse for his Dante run, but if I remember correctly at the time, they were quite accepting it didn't make the difference between winning and second.

Again, imagine there was no media influence on the race, and you only had videos and the formbook to go on - this horse wouldn't be in the first 4 in the betting.

Do you seriously think the folk laying £20s etc. at prices between 8/1 and 20/1 knew he wasn't running?!

Again, imagine there was no media influence on the race, and you only had videos and the formbook to go on - this horse wouldn't be in the first 4 in the betting.

I've said it time and again, Stoute's horses are overbet more than any other trainers.

They followed the money. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. But when it doesn't they get their hands burnt badly.

Precisely my point about making money from being on the back side over time on these. I'd happily do the same again tomorrow.

Really surprised by this - can only think they plan to stand more horses in France?

By Racing Post staff 2:27PM 1 JUN 2010
CAPE BLANCO may join ante-post favourite St Nicholas Abbey in missing Saturday's Investec Derby after trainer Aidan O'Brien gave the strongest indication yet of his running plans for the Classic on Tuesday.
While stressing that his plans were not yet definite, O'Brien looks like having three runners at Epsom - Jan Vermeer, Midas Touch and At First Sight - with Totesport Dante Stakes winner Cape Blanco, who is as short as 6-1 third favourite with Coral, likely to bypass the Derby in favour of the following day's Prix du Jockey Club at Chantilly.
O'Brien said on Tuesday afternoon: "It is looking likely, but not definite, that Jan Vermeer, Midas Touch and At First Sight will be going for the Investec Derby and increasingly likely that Cape Blanco will be going for the Prix du Jockey Club along with Viscount Nelson."

Really surprised by this - can only think they plan to stand more horses in France?

Not surprised by this at all.. Cape Blanco doesn't look a stayer to me and is the one I would send to Chantilly. He has pace and class and is versatile with regards tactics so the french race is more likely to play to his strengths..

The other two look proper 12f horses to me... Stamina in abundance.

Whats the ground likely to be in France? If Workforce wins there will be some serious red faces..

Not surprised by this at all.. Cape Blanco doesn't look a stayer to me and is the one I would send to Chantilly. He has pace and class and is versatile with regards tactics so the french race is more likely to play to his strengths..

The other two look proper 12f horses to me... Stamina in abundance.

I thought Jan Vermeer was most likely to go to France at one stage ... until his BF price collapsed :p

Jan Vermeer's price was presumably linked to SNA's based on O'Brien's statement on Saturday morning?

Back