The Domination of Mullins & Co

Tom Segal today describes PN as the best NH trainer ever. Streets ahead of the others currently. Cant say about the first but correct about the second

(love typing this because you know who would be seething reading that...)

Last edited:
No. But there are quite a few who have had a seeming strange downer on him here over the years whilst lauding less adept trainers as "geniuses". its the old mistake of people seeing what they want because of a certain image. A somewhat bolshy straight talking policemans son from the south of england doesnt fit that image

but hes the best

Agreed Clive.

I was tempted with the price of Ibis De Rheu for the Triumph ahead of his expected debut this Saturday but a quick look back at the stable tour in November made it perfectly clear that however much he was thought of he wouldn't be heading to the Triumph.

Complete contrast to another trainer I could mention.

However if he does line up there... :(

No. But there are quite a few who have had a seeming strange downer on him here over the years whilst lauding less adept trainers as "geniuses". its the old mistake of people seeing what they want because of a certain image. A somewhat bolshy straight talking policemans son from the south of england doesnt fit that image

but hes the best

agree he is the Alex Ferguson at the moment and has been for a while..he's not my favourite though..Martin Pipe is...he is such an attention to detail guy..and the way he has carried on training in secret has been brilliant..took all the pressure off himself.

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on how WPM campaigns his horses with the festival in mind.Would he have the final say what the target would be?I know that it would be different in the Ricci instance as he is nigh on bankrolling half the stable.
For instance vautor and and UDS.He doesn't run his novices in the championship races but he does spread his ammunition around to have the best chance overall.UDS would have a strong chance in the QMCC this year,Vautor would win the Arkle as it doesn't have depth but he goes JLT route which is shaping into a hot little race.I'm probably answering my own question but there seems to be no second guessing the guy.

Now he's getting greedy :whistle:

From RP

WILLIE MULLINS has demanded more is done to reward jumps owners at the Cheltenham Festival and called for prize-money to be doubled in the major contests at the fixture.Leading trainer at the Cheltenham Festival for three of the past four years, Mullins said on Wednesday the costs of finding and training a horse to get to Cheltenham with a chance was expensive and the prize-money return insufficient for owners.
He said: "The prize-money [in jumps racing] given the costs does not make sense and it cannot last.That, to me, is not fair and it's not on for what owners do for the sport of racing.
"The meetings are there but the prize-money should rise. All we see is the prize-money edging up a bit every year. I think maybe prize-money for the graded races at Cheltenham could be at least doubled, if not more. It would give meaningful prizes for racing horses.
"Someone should really break out and say 'we need to reinvigorate the sport' before it goes down. The bottom end of racing is disappearing."
Champion trainer in Ireland for the past seven seasons, Mullins is preparing a squad of up to 50 for the Cheltenham Festival next month and is also likely to be well represented at the Crabbie's Grand National meeting in April as well.
However, Mullins believes there is potential for the creation of a festival towards the end of the British jumps season in the same style as Qipco British Champions Day and Irish Champions Weekend if the decision is not taken to improve prize-money at Cheltenham.
"I'd like to see a champions' weekend," he said. "When I see what we have at Punchestown over five days, it's the natural end to both seasons [in Britain and Ireland]. It fits in beautifully after Cheltenham or Aintree and possibly England could so the same."

Around 50 horses coming over with something like 40 staff must be a record in itself. That would be just about enough horses to fill all the four main championship races plus the County Hurdle alone! I suspect that breaks the record entries from one trainer by a country mile, and it was probably set by Willie last year anyway.

On volume/quality he should be looking at 7-8 winners!

He may not have Don Poli on day one but he must be thinking 2-3 at least Tuesday, and 6+ winners overall as par, as for owners Gigginstown must bringing their biggest number of horses over, I think the results on the 14/3/14 has really got them targeting the festival this year (bumper runners for example), I will try a few Giggi multiples when its nrnb, between them & JP they have just over 120 individual entries, obviously all will not run but that must be a record.

Mullins is 1 from 17 over jumps since last Sunday, and while he hadn't many stars running the performances of Killer Crow, Aklan, Aminabad and Max Dynamite in particular were very poor.

Two weeks before Cheltenham I'd have liked to have seen a few better performances.

Mullins is 1 from 17 over jumps since last Sunday, and while he hadn't many stars running the performances of Killer Crow, Aklan, Aminabad and Max Dynamite in particular were very poor.

Two weeks before Cheltenham I'd have liked to have seen a few better performances.

I would say this is the time of year to oppose Mullins favs.

Rich Ricci seemed keen to let Vroum Vroum Mag loose in the RSA but that definitely would not be Willies plan.

Fair play to Chapman in the ATR piece on RR's horses, he didnt dodge any questions unlike those two shitters with Mourinhio on Sky Sports this morning

Back