The Domination of Mullins & Co

Simple question

Did the Mullins domination spoil this year's Punchestown Festival for anyone ?

Apart from financially :)

Simple question

Did the Mullins domination spoil this year's Punchestown Festival for anyone ?

Apart from financially :)
Not in the slightest. Hardly his fault that the likes of Coneygree, Dodging Bullets, Peace & Co, Moon Racer, Cole Harden and Uxizandre didn't turn up. Without the Mullins horses there would have been very few grade 1 class horses on view.

Last edited:
O’Brien, meanwhile, suggested that it would be positive for Mullins’s domestic competitors to take him on a little more vigorously at times, and not be intimidated by sheer weight of numbers.“Willie’s in a great position at the moment that he can enter maybe six or seven horses in a Grade One,” O’Brien said. “They’re not all going to run, but it often ends up with two or three runners in it and Willie’s wins. I think if you were Willie you’d do the same, he has that firepower [but] it’s interesting that when trainers have stuck the course and stayed in the race, they are competitive. Don Cossack [who beat Mullins’s Champagne Fever in the Kinloch Brae Chase in January] is a good example.
“I’m now looking at the Pattern [of Graded races] at home and I’m wondering if we don’t have too many. Is it good that we don’t get more clashes between the better horses, even from the same stables? If you have a Pattern that allows horses to cherry-pick, that’s what’s going to happen.”

After Doncaster I`d say its getting very difficult to buy the grade one horses unless you are a Sheikh or a retired banker. And if you cant buy them you cant race them

After Doncaster I`d say its getting very difficult to buy the grade one horses unless you are a Sheikh or a retired banker. And if you cant buy them you cant race them

Sorry Roddy, I didn't know you were in the market. There were a couple of Irish pointers I'd marked up that went through relatively cheaply that I thought were really good value. If I'd known I'd have suggested you asked Pete or Karen take a look.

Willie unleashing Footpad, American Tom, Stone Hard, Potters Point, Douvan, Vautour and Augusta Kate this weekend.

His brother George also runs a couple of companies, one of which is George Mullins Tranpsort, also based in Closutton :confused:

attachment.php

Attachments

• George Mullins.jpg
    George Mullins.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 66
When I had more time on my hands I'd pop down to Thurles on the odd Thursday for a day out on the choo choo.

Looking at that card today reminds me of a Weds night at the old Phoenix Park when MVOB would run 6 odds on favourites.

Not sure I'd be inclined to go too often these days.

A well known punter of my acquaintance once overheard somebody beside him at the parade ring complain that here was yet another MVOB odds-on favourite and how boring it was.

"Try having 5 grand on it to win 2 and then see if it's boring" was his unsought advice.

When I had more time on my hands I'd pop down to Thurles on the odd Thursday for a day out on the choo choo.

Looking at that card today reminds me of a Weds night at the old Phoenix Park when MVOB would run 6 odds on favourites.

Not sure I'd be inclined to go too often these days.

Quality horses wasted on you....like putting lipstick on a sow....

From the Irish Times

The racecourse dominance exerted by the country’s top National Hunt trainers Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliott extended to the Horse Racing Ireland annual awards, where their top stars Faugheen and Don Cossack shared Horse of the Year honours for 2015.
It was the first time in the 13-year history of the awards that voters were unable to split the pair, who carry the respective colours of two of the sport’s most high profile owners, American businessman, Rich Ricci, and Ryanair boss, Michael O’Leary.
Ironically, with the awards being held at Leopardstown, both stars could appear next at Kempton on St Stephen’s Day.
Both Mullins and Ricci indicated Faugheen will defend his Christmas Hurdle crown at the London track, while Don Cossack could take on another Mullins-Ricci star, Vautour, in the King George VI Chase on the same day, although significantly O’Leary’s Gigginstown Stud team were not committing themselves fully to crossing the Irish Sea.
“It will be the King George, or the Lexus [at Leopardstown on day three of the Christmas festival]. Every option is open,” said Eddie O’Leary, the owner’s brother and bloodstock adviser. “Obviously we love him. We just hope he stays lucky.”
Faugheen lost his unbeaten record to stable companion, and fellow Horse of the Year nominee, Nichols Canyon, in last month’s Morgiana, but when asked if fans should keep faith with the horse nicknamed The Machine, Mullins replied: “Oh definitely.”
Upbeat

The champion trainer had earlier collected the 2015 National Hunt Award for a sixth time in the past seven years, and gave an upbeat bulletin on Faugheen who prior to the Morgiana had been 10 for 10 in his career. “He did cut his mouth [at Punchestown], but that took a day to recover from and most horses wouldn’t feel a little cut on their mouth,” Mullins said. “I wouldn’t use that as an excuse. He’s in great order now.”
He added: “Anyone who saw the gallop he did the Tuesday before the Morgiana would have said Faugheen could take Nichols Canyon anytime he wanted. But Nichols Canyon is never a good work horse. Our bumper mare Augusta Kate is another like that, useless at home but a machine at the races. It could be possible Faugheen did too much in that gallop.”
Mullins also confirmed another Horse of the Year nominee Un De Sceaux will join Nichols Canyon at Leopardstown’s Christmas festival by lining up in the Grade 1 Dial-A-Bet Chase after missing out on Saturday’s Tingle Creek.
“He schooled at Thurles and did too much there. He was flat after it which is why he didn’t run at Sandown. But he’s running away again with the lad who rides him at home,” he said, before nominating an unraced Gigginstown-owned horse called Admiral Chief as a potential festive dark-horse.
“I look to have a super bumper horse – I hope I’m not putting the knockers on him – called Lord Admiral, who is doing everything very well and could run at Christmas,” Mullins said.]

Last edited:
Back