The Gold Cup 2010

KS will be fine - his ll out battles in this race in the last two years includingl last year's unseat have been followed by him hacking up in the KG . I ee no reason to expect anything else .

Notre Pere bubble completely burst - nowhere near good enough , far too slow .To think he was 2-1 yesterday a truly absurd price .

i think there must have been something wrong with notre never went a yard yes he's too slow for anything on decent ground but still wouldnt give up on him for the lexus or maybe even the welsh national will be interesting to see what connections say in the coming days

They can find nothing wrong with him - which is no surprise .

I would be amazed if Notre Pere ran to the same level of form yesterday as he did at Punchestown, Leopardstown and at Chepstow. Was beaten miles from home when they were not going that fast. He never looked happy.

Also though the Pipe horse looked very relunctant throughout.

Madison Du Berlais always needs his first run so I wouldn't have expected anything more from him. Connections should avoid the Gold Cup this year (he is not a Cheltenham horse) and concentrate on a repeat victory in the Aintree bowl instead.

I think I'm in the minority regarding Albertas Run. I know a few people who last season wanted to see him stepped up in trip. But after yesterday's performance, even though he was in receipt of weight, I think he would be interesting in the Ryanair.

Last edited:
Or it may be that he won yesterday because he was in receipt of so much weight... He was weighted to win by much further than he did.

I would sooner take Planet of Sound for the Gold Cup.

Hobbs needs a Gold Cup horse and I think this could be it. He has the breeding to be at least competitive in the GC.

Like Ardross, I have always had a niggling feeling that Notre Pere is over-rated and flattered by his Punchestown win.

Unlike Ardross, I feel that his run at the weekend was so poor, that it cannot be used as evidence one way or the other.

Ok he probably won't be in a Gold Cup but it seems as good a place as any to ask the question.

Has anyone any news of Rare Bob? He doesn't have any notable entries, injured?

Anyone hear when Cooldine is likely to debut this season?

John Durkan Chase to kick off Cooldine Campaign
Mullins holds six John Durkan entries
Cooldine makes seasonal reappearance at Punchestown
Glencove Marina and Barker are John Durkan potentials
The Listener out for the season

Champion trainer Willie Mullins will aim an all star team at the vintage renewal of the Grade 1 John Durkan Chase at Punchestown Sunday, 6th December.

Cooldine, who this season graduates from the novice ranks, will head up a total of six entries for the Co. Carlow based trainer. Currently trading at 10/1 for next years Cheltenham Gold Cup, Cooldine will be making his seasonal reappearance in the 2 mile 4 furlong contest. Commenting on the 2009 RSA chase winner, trainer Willie Mullins said “Cooldine is very likely to take his chance in the John Durkan chase Sunday week. He is in good form and I am conscious that we need to get a run into him at this stage. Hopefully the Durkan Chase will be a good start to his campaign”.

The John Durkan Chase could also be a possible venue for the long awaited return of Glencove Marina who has been absent since January 2008 having suffered a leg injury. Commenting on the now seven year old Mullins said “Glencove Marina is ready for a race and we are considering Punchestown on the 6th December. The John Durkan would be ideal but after such a long absence and given the quality of the field, this renewal will be a real stamina test and could be a big ask for him. We will wait and see how the race and conditions turns out”.

J’y Vole is another of the Mullins contenders but is one that the trainer finds difficult to get opportunities for: “Once you get to the 140 to 152 mark it is difficult to find races for these horses. The likes of J’y Vole would be top weight in a handicap but realistically, even with the mare’s allowance, is probably just below top level and up against it in this company. Having said that, we think she deserves to line up in the John Durkan”.

Barker, who landed the Swordlestown Cup at the 2009 Punchestown Irish National Hunt Festival, also holds an entry and is a possible. Other Closutton candidates include Scots Irish and Snowy morning with the later also holding a Hennessy entry. At this point one thing is for certain – Willie Mullins will be very well represented in what is one of the feature races in the jump season.

Meanwhile, The Listener who romped home to a 19 length victory in the 2007 John Durkan Chase and was beaten by the narrowest of margins in last years running, will be absent from this years race and indeed the remainder of the season having suffered a tendon injury. Trainer Nick Mitchell intends to give the recent J.N. Wine Chase winner the season off and look at bringing him back next year.

2009 John Durkan Entries:

• Aran Concerto
  • Barker
  • Big Zeb
  • Cooldine
  • Forpadydeplasterer
  • Glencove Marina
  • Glenfinn Captain
  • Herecomesthetruth
  • In Compliance
  • Joncol
  • Made In Taipan
  • Notre Pere
  • Schindlers Hunt
  • Scotsirish
  • Snowy Morning
  • The Listner
  • Tranquil Sea
  • Voy Por Ustedes
  • Watson Lake
  • J’y Vole

The John Durkan Chase takes place 6th December 2009. First race 12.35pm. Admission €18, Student and Senior Citizen €12.

I'm finding the Haydock race very difficult to rate, primarily ebcause Imperial Commander has got so close. Take him out and I'd want to go very positive. The time was 38lbs faster than Shining Gale (OR145) in the next race. SG, in turn, was 24lbs faster than Sa Suffit (OR137) earlier and that race was reportedly run at a sound pace.

I just wonder if maybe Imperial Commander shouldn't be overlooked as a Gold Cup prospect...

Back