The Gold Cup 2010

Considering these ratings:

Kicking King 182
Best Mate 182
Kingscliff 175

I think 180 for Denman could be considered lenient.

I would back Denman to beat all of those horses.

But then I backed Kingscliff more than was healthy...

I'll be backing Madison Du Berlais on course as he is the only danger to Kauto in my book. KS trading at 1.96 and my lay back kicks in at 1.9. May cancel and try for lower.

After Haydock i'm off to Old Trafford. Gotta love days like these.

Thought Imperial Commanders jockey was poorish half way between the last fence and the line. Was only going hands and heels but the horse responded well when shown the whip. Kauto was very brave.

Corking run from Imperial Commander. Sounds as though they're up for another shot at Kauto at Kempton, even though they think he prefers going left handed. Odd for Twiston-Davies to say 'what else is there?'

The Lexus?

The Lexus or the King George i persume. Cracking run by both horses, they were a mile clear of the field. Kauto was very brave on ground he obviously doesn't like as much as good/soft. His 12th grade 1 win and you can be sure there'll still be doubters coming up to the King George and Gold Cup.

I think I'm just relieved today is out of the way. I was nervous for Kauto first time out, and though the ground wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, it was still softer than he probably wants now.

Like two years ago with Exotic Dancer, he and IC pulled well clear of the rest, and I'd be very hopeful he can win again at Kempton.

I know the time will come when he can no longer remain at the top of the tree but I see no reason why that has to be the case just yet.

Nicholls and Ruby both said after the race that he'll come on a ton for the race and they will be fine tuning him now for Kempton, prob his favourite track of all. He was evens for it today, wonder has that price changed much? Irish Stamp, when is the John Durkan run? If it's before Xmas that might be an ideal race for Cooldine. I know Aran Concerto is being aimed at that for his seasonal reappearance.

It will be interesting to see how Kauto goes next time. A couple of fences from home Imperial Commander actually quickened away from Kauto only for Kauto to jump back into contention - then Kauto went clear and Imperial Commander closed him close home.

Both of those horses today has had really hard races. Imperial COmmander might be interesting for GC after his compulsory shocking runs for the rest of the season until Cheltenham. Kauto Star did really well to win today. My gut feeling is that this race will leave its mark on him for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Imperial Commander ran a blinder today but in my opinion he is not a Gold Cup horse. Ryanair is the perfect race for the Twiston Davies horse and hopefully that will be his target once more.

Back