The Gold Cup 2010

Might be in a small group of one here but I wouldn't be displeased if connections kept the two horses apart now.

They are both very good horses, can't we settle for that rather than see either or both of them broken by a titanic struggle to find out who is the better?

The supporters of each horse will find an excuse for their beaten hero whatever the result; we have already seen that happen.

Why would you think both horses would be broken, Colin? Both have proved very resolute thus far, and both have come through hard races unscathed in the past.

There is little point in them swerving each, when it is clear as mud that the Gold Cup is by far-and-away the best race for the pair in the spring. One of them ducking it would only leave many more questions than answers. They are there to race, so let them race. What's the point in us being denied the spectacle, because of something that might never happen?

On an un-related theme, I would love to see Kauto Star run in the Racing Post Chase, to see if he is capable of a similar weight-carrying performance at this stage of his career.....but I very much doubt it will happen.

I still don't get how Kauto can run to a better rating when finishing runner-up to Denman than he did the time before when he won it and still have underperformed. On the other hand we know Denman underperformed last time as the ratings told us he was significantly under par.

I still don't get how Kauto can run to a better rating when finishing runner-up to Denman than he did the time before when he won it and still have underperformed. On the other hand we know Denman underperformed last time as the ratings told us he was significantly under par.

If you still don't get it, then it could well be a waste of my time writing this and your time reading it as we're going over old ground again. Kauto Star's first Gold Cup was steadily run and both he and the runner-up were much better than the bare form. Kauto Star's second to Denman was a good way below the best of his form that season and also the following season as he showed when regaining the Gold Cup. You can use either RPR's or Timeform Ratings to illustrate this, or I suspect any other type of rating that are worth the paper they are written on.

I think if both horses are at their peak in March, whilst Kauto perhaps had more tactical speed than Denman I think if it came to a battle up the hill, I'd stick with the latter. I just think he's a more reliable jumper under pressure than Kauto.

I'm still siding with Kauto at the moment, although I feel there is very little between them. If Kauto fails to shine at Kempton, then I will probably begin to doubt whether he could pull off a third win at Cheltenham.

That said, for all that Kauto has been excellent at Kempton, I actually feel that the extra stamina test of the Gold Cup may suit him more as he gets older. I don't feel that the tight bends of Haydock suit him, for all that his class and courage have seen him home there, and there was a brief moment in last year's King George, down the side of the course second time round, where Ruby had to stoke him up a little. Perhaps I read too much into that, but my point is that I'm no longer of the opinion that the Gold Cup doesn't suit him, as I was this time last year.

Sticky, gluey ground would be a concern, though, as I feel Denman is better equipped to jump out of it.

Still waiting to see the best of last season's novices, but they've got some task ahead of them.

Unlike Harry Findlay, I haven't ruled out Imperial Commander either. He loves Cheltenham and I think he will stay the trip. I was really impressed with him at Haydock.

On an un-related theme, I would love to see Kauto Star run in the Racing Post Chase, to see if he is capable of a similar weight-carrying performance at this stage of his career.....but I very much doubt it will happen.

Kauto Star doesn't strike me as an obvious weight carrier, while Denman does. Dessie was a big strong beast too, which is how he managed it.

From a betting perspective, I think the way forward at current Gold Cup odds is to oppose the big two. They'll both be ten in March and they've had plenty of hard races. Rather than lay the front two, I've backed the obvious up-and-comers in Cooldine and Imperial Commander.

Let's not lose sight of the ORs...

Denman was off 174 yesterday, Kauto's OR was 186 last week. It's unlikely Denman's OR will top 186 for yesterday.

See More Business's was 177 going into the 2000 King George and he was still hitting RPRs of 181 (which I disagree with) when he was 13yo.

My highest rating for SMB was 183+.

Denman skips the Lexus and goes straight to the Aon and then Cheltenham. Sounds like he took alot out of himself in winning yesterday.

I can understand them swerving the Lexus - it was the worst performance of his Gold Cup winning season - and returning to Newbury makes sense. Just a shame that we won't see him again until mid-February. :(

Dessie was a big strong beast too, which is how he managed it

He wasnt that big.. Not really a Denman, but admittedly very strong

His heart was enormous though. I think also he just seemed to bounce around and love certain tracks. I suppose now Denman will forever be associated with New bury as Dessie was Kempton

How anyone can think Cooldine has a chance in the Gold Cup is beyond me. I ll lay him at 7-4 in a match bet with IC. Non Punner - No Bet.

Really, that's a bold bet? I can see IC clouting one of the fences at the end like he did at Haydock - and we all know how unforgiving Cheltenham's fences are.

Denman skips the Lexus and goes straight to the Aon and then Cheltenham.

Disappointed to hear it Gal, was really looking forward to seeing The Tank. And GH, whilst i agree it was his least impressive run of his gold cup winning year at Leopardstown, it seemed more like a test of "how much toe has this horse got", than a true running of Denman to his strengths to win the race.

Really, that's a bold bet? I can see IC clouting one of the fences at the end like he did at Haydock - and we all know how unforgiving Cheltenham's fences are.

To be fair, he's coped well enough with the course to win 4 of his 5 starts over fences there.

It was a terrific weight carrying performance yesterday but gracious the runner up surely should be renamed What a Dog .

We may well be, as has been suggested a few times over the last couple of years, in a golden era for chasers. Horner Woods let the RSA form down on Saturday but plenty of the other beaten ones have franked it. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Cooldine goes on to press Kauto Star and Denman for the top prizes.

I still can't help thinking the Haydock form with Imperial Commander is true. I can allow for KS improving for the race but I can also accept that IC has improved an awful lot over the summer and there has to be the chance he'll continue to improve. He might even stay 3¼ miles and we know he jumps well round Cheltenham.

Cooldine won the worst RSA chase in my memory. Ive never liked the horse and have said since last March that he is not even close to winning a Gold Cup. I dont really have an opinion on IC but he is the same price as Cooldine for the Gold Cup and Im willing to back my opinion.

Back