The Gold Cup 2010

DO clearly meant Mackeson.

Yes I did. I'm usually happy to embrace new sponsors' names with the big races but I'm avoiding using the current sponsors' name or initials as my own petty, personal boycott. Maybe if they ever cough up on my winning bet, I'll change.

However, I had Hold 'Em well up my ratings for that race (but not with the scope for improvement the right 'profile' horse would have) and I don't think he ran to form last week.

Going back to the quoted text. I don't usually mix them up. I remember the order they took place in terms of 'Mac'(keson) being before 'Mas'(sey-Ferguson) in alphabetical order.

Lexus Chase -

1 Aran Concerto
2 Cane Brake
3 Cloudy Lane (GB)
4 Cooldine
5 Imperial Commander
6 In Compliance
7 J'y Vole (FR)
8 Joncol
9 Money Trix
10 Notre Pere (FR)
11 Schindlers Hunt
12. What A Friend
13. Voy Por Ustedes

King George -

Albertas Run, Barbers Shop, Deep Purple, Imperial Commander, Kauto Star, Madison du Berlais, Master Medic, Nacarat, Ollie Magern, Our Vic, Racing Demon,Roll Along, Tartak, Sandymac.

Denman's Gold Cup price will depend far more on what Kauto Star does rather than either What A Friend and Barber Shop. If Kauto wins like last year, Denman will probably be unchanged, no matter what that pair do, imo.

Really? If BS is within a dozen lengths then Denman surely goes clear favourite. Especially if What a Friend runs well.

Anyone give What A Friend a chance? I can't have him personally. I have Joncol and Notre Pere as the first two home (not sure of the order yet) and Voy Por Ustedes in 3rd. I'm making a potentially disastrous assumption that Cooldine will need the run.

I sincerely hope he wins, but I'm not entirely convinced that Joncol will get home over 3m in soft ground.

Cloudy Lane looks a big price at 25's EW I think. A few of those at the head of the market are priced up on potential rather than form.

Really? If BS is within a dozen lengths then Denman surely goes clear favourite. Especially if What a Friend runs well.

I agree. But in almost any scenario I would expect Denman to start favourite for the Gold Cup. Kauto could win by a lap at Kempton and Denman could still be sent off favorite at Cheltenham.

I'm not even convinced that Walsh won't switch for the Gold Cup (unlikely as that might seem). With all the build up for the KG at the moment it is curious that Walsh is bubbling over about riding Denman next in the Aon.

That's right. It really wasn't a choice in 07 because Ruby's only real top drawer experience of riding the tank was in the Sun Alliance. And that was only novice top drawer.

But it's gonna be really tough to pass on a two time Gold Cup winner. It may come down to not wanting to look like an idiot if he chooses Denman and KS wins. I remember reading that Pat Eddery was drawn to Commander in Chief big style in the days leading up to his Derby but he knew that if Tenby won and he'd got off the odds-on fav he would look like a proper tool.

That's right. It really wasn't a choice in 07 because Ruby's only real top drawer experience of riding the tank was in the Sun Alliance. And that was only novice top drawer.

But it's gonna be really tough to pass on a two time Gold Cup winner. It may come down to not wanting to look like an idiot if he chooses Denman and KS wins. I remember reading that Pat Eddery was drawn to Commander in Chief big style in the days leading up to his Derby but he knew that if Tenby won and he'd got off the odds-on fav he would look like a proper tool.

Yes. It would be a very tough decision to get off Kauto, whatever he does in the interim... then again horses like Denman don't come round that often.

If he wins on either one, it is likely to be remembered as Walsh's defining moment.

Last edited:
The only way Walsh will get off Kauto Star, is if the horse doesn't make the race.

Fully agree Grasshopper. Imagine the thought of Ruby choosing to ride Denman and Kauto picking them up at the last and striding on to victory. Ruby would never forgive himself. Given both horses make it to Cheltenham in top nick, Ruby will be on Kauto Star imo.

In what way would it 'pay' to question it, Steve?

Walsh has never - at any stage - given any indication that he would get off Kauto Star to ride Denman. Not ever.

No-one seriously believes that Walsh will passover a fit and ready Kauto Star, to ride Denman in the Gold Cup. Do you believe it? Seriously?

Isn't this just idle chit-chat (perfectly acceptable it is too), because there's bugger all happening until Saturday?

Fully agree Grasshopper. Imagine the thought of Ruby choosing to ride Denman and Kauto picking them up at the last and striding on to victory. Ruby would never forgive himself. Given both horses make it to Cheltenham in top nick, Ruby will be on Kauto Star imo.

Yes… This is to state the obvious. What we are saying is that it might not be as clear cut as is seems. As Euro tells us Eddery was conflicted about Tenby and kicked himself for not having the strength of resolve to switch. Ultimately it doesn’t matter what opinions we separately hold. It is Walsh who will decide.

In what way would it 'pay' to question it, Steve?

Walsh has never - at any stage - given any indication that he would get off Kauto Star to ride Denman. Not ever.

No-one seriously believes that Walsh will passover a fit and ready Kauto Star, to ride Denman in the Gold Cup. Do you believe it? Seriously?

Isn't this just idle chit-chat (perfectly acceptable it is too), because there's bugger all happening until Saturday?

Walsh has been all about riding Denman next, which seem a little strange as the KG would look to take precedence in both proximity and importance to the Aon. I expect Walsh will stick with Kauto for the Gold Cup, but you need to be alive to alternative scenarios.

Back