The Gold Cup 2010

I've been thinking about the Kauto v Arkle debate on and off over the last wee while.

There's obviously a school of thought that says chasers are much better these days because of better/harder training regimes and better application of science to feeding etc., therefore they're uch more likely to be closer to Arkle.

There is a reverse side to the argument.

If Kauto Star is a 193 horse because he is accessing better training, feeding, etc., what would he have been rated 40 years ago? 173? Given that he and Denman are a good stone better than anything else around, that would put the rest on a maximum of about 160 - and Best Mate would have been around that figure too. So a normal Gold Cup winner 40 years ago would only be rated around 160?

Nah, I can't have that.

you should shove that on the appropriate thread DO..nice bit of reverse arguing there:)

Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup Ladbrokes Betting -

Cooldine 7/4
Joncol 2/1
Money Trix 7/2
Notre Pere 11/2
Schindlers Hunt 16/1
In Compliance 16/1
Made In Taipan 20/1
Jy Vole 33/1

The vibes are very positive regarding Cooldine's chances but the forecast is pretty brutal so that will bring Notre Pere into it.

If the forecast is correct I doubt in Compliance runs. Notre pere at 11/2 on glue pot ground sounds ok but if Cooldine has made the reported miraculous recovery and is now in top form he will handle the ground.

I’d love to see Cooldine back to his old self, but I can’t quite believe it. In the meantime Joncol will probably take the beating or at least act as a good yardstick to test the others.

Of course it's all about the good horse being back at Newbury on the 13th. Last chance to get on before the Gold Cup that is surely his for the taking.

Last edited:
I just don't get the hype surrounding Joncol. What's it ever done?

He's a good yardstick. Ran well last time. Probably good enough here and probably a good contender were he to go for the RyanAir. Not good enough for Gold Cup (then again other than the top two who is?)

Last edited:
A horse with 4 runs out of novice company including one where he didn't seem to get home? I wouldn't even call him a footstick.

I still don't see who's going to beat him in the Irish race, unless Cooldine really is back. Possibly Money Trix?

I dont see Joncol as a Gold Cup horse but he is a very nice horse.
I have him on 165p, is a 7yo horse, has run only 7 chases winning 4 and being placed in the other 3.

About Cooldine, I am prepared to forget him his last, it was too abd to be true , especially being well backed on the day, he is the only horse that can prove a danger for Denman and Kauto Star.

There's a video interview on ATR with Nolan who has said this is Joncol's Gold Cup.

I think he would have won last time if Cawley hadn't been so aggressive out front.

Admirable as Money Trix is I think he is an out and out stayer who will always be done by something with a bit more toe at this level.

I see Stan James are offering 10s on Punchestowns for the 2011 Gold Cup. I'd be interested to see a price for Cooldine.

Steve I don't think we ever did hear your views on Kauto Star's performance at Kempton?

Quite superb. He even (nearly) deserves his 193 rating... he's still not Denman though. Round Cheltenham Kauto hasn't got a prayer against the good horse (now that he's well again).;)

Attaching superlatives to one over the other is both misplaced and tedious. They are both very, very special in their own distinct ways, and we should rejoice that both will have no excuses in March.

Last edited:
...I'm glad we agree. Unfortunately for Kauto the Gold Cup isn't run at Kempton.

Unfortunately for Denman , Kauto Star is a two stone better horse than his 2008 GC performance suggests and is still improving !

It is a new one on me that a double GC winner isn't suited by Cheltenham.:blink:

Back