The Gold Cup 2010

Denman dutifully carried out a personal appearance at Exeter on Tuesday with a racecourse gallop.
The former Gold Cup winner has had an extension of one of the stands named after him at the Devon track.
And rather than doing a serious piece of exercise, his circuit of the course was more his own way of snipping the red ribbon.
Denman was ridden by Ruby Walsh, in company with Christian Williams aboard Beshabar.
The giant gelding did need a couple of slaps of the whip to keep his mind on the job but he pulled himself together in the home straight to pull around three lengths away from his rival.
His next objective is to regain Newbury's Hennessy Gold Cup (November 28) he won two seasons ago.
"I didn't want him to have a serious gallop, this was more just for a day out," said Nicholls.
"He did a great piece of work on Saturday when we really put the gun to his head but that will have done him a lot of good too.
"He is a character - he is never a fantastic work horse - but we know where he is by the amount of work he has done at home and he's tightening up.
"Ruby said that on the far side he said, 'Come on, pick the bridle up,' but he really picked up coming down the home straight - that's just what he's like.
"We brought him here two years ago before the Hennessy, and all being well, he'll go there, then the Lexus in Ireland."
Of Beshabar, Nicholls added: "He's a fair tool, too. Nick Williams trained him two years ago but he injured his leg on his first piece of work.
"He has been back since the summer and the plan is to go novice chasing.
"He may come back here later in the month."

As you can see from the race card, Exeter have opened up a 'DENMAN Room' and Diminuendo has been commissioned to supply all the photos for the room !

Great news! Was very sorry to miss the gallop by Denman today but am banned from driving (not because I am naughty ... I am recovering from surgey). So, do not have a racecard, will just have to return to the track to admire the Denman room!

Haydock Saturday -

Albertas Run (IRE) 8.g
Barbers Shop 7.g
Halcon Genelardais (FR) 9.g
Imperial Commander (IRE) 8.g
Kauto Star (FR) 9.g
Madison du Berlais (FR) 8.g
Nacarat (FR) 8.g
Notre Pere (FR) 8.g
Nozic (FR) 8.g
Rambling Minster 11.g
Seymour Weld 9.g
The Sawyer (BEL) 9.g
Tidal Bay (IRE) 8.g

Very Gal - not had an update as yet but when it rains you know about it and the ground is often more bottomless. Right up Notre Pere's street :)

The ground alone wouldn't concern me for Kauto, but first time out on it would. I know he has won first time out before, but Saturday looks like being more of a test for him, and even though we know Nicholls is fond of the 'come on for the run' phrase, I'm certain that will be the case here. It's Kempton and Cheltenham they're thinking of for him.

That said, I'd hope Kauto would be good enough to win regardless.

Last edited:
2010 will be the eighth calendar year that Kauto will have raced. A few Kauto stats:

Debuted 1st March 2003
First Graded race: 11th October 2003
First Graded win: 30th May 2004
First Grade 1 race: 3rd December 2005
First Grade 1 win: 3rd December 2005

Total Jockeys: 5
Total Winning Jockeys: 5 (F Barao, J Guiheneuf, R Walsh, M Fitzgerald, S Thomas)

G1 Wins: 11

3m slog in heavy ground against a front running sound jumping opponent who will see out every inch? They will try and make this a test with Notre Pere in the hope that they may do what Denman did and capitalise on the effect the heavy ground has on Kauto's jumping. If it's heavy I wouldn't want to back him. Not saying he won't win, cos he probably will but there's enough doubt in my mind to leave it alone at the prices. Madison Du Berlais will no doubt be forcing the pace as well and 3m on a flat track with cut suits him down to the ground. If it were good or good to soft Kauto should deservedly be odds on. Soft or heavier I would probably want to lay him.

I still hope he wins though!!!

The softie in me is hoping that the meeting is off. I don't want a slog for Kauto first up. But I would prefer him to run before the King George. Has any horse ever won that race on its seasonal debut?

I do not think fitness will be an issue for Kauto Star - he is only going to run 3 or maybe four times this season and he will be hard fit for each run.

Why on earth would you run him in the Ascot Hurdle?!? He's not being prepped for a tilt at the national!!!

Surely last year's Gold Cup is proof that stamina won't be a problem at Haydock, however soft the ground gets. Okay he's unraced on heavy, so you couldn't say for sure he'll go through it, but 3m on soft should pose no problem whatsoever for him.

Agreed. Kauto is an out and out stayer. The ground does affect the fluency of his jumping though. I'm pleased that other trainers are not ducking the race though as it is shaping up to be an absolute cracker!

I have to agree, DJ - the ground is being over-played, and I'd be amazed (and lumping on) if he started odds-against

Back