The Gold Cup 2010

I thought he jumped very well that time he just beat Exotic Dancer in soft ground in the Betfair.

If what Shads has said about Haydock is accurate (haven't seen it recently I must admit, but she's only mentioned it 100 times like!), then the trip will be far more of a concern for Notre Pere unless they're absolutely swimming through the ground.

Three miles around a sharp track is at the bare minimum of his distance compass IMO; if Kauto Star is at his best he'll eat him alive.

Have to take issue with the notion of Kauto Star as a "thorough stayer" as well; granted, that is no slight on any horse, but Kauto Star has won a Tingle Creek and three King George's. To quote Aidan O'Brien, he has loads of natural pace!

Last edited:
Why on earth would you run him in the Ascot Hurdle?!? He's not being prepped for a tilt at the national!!!

I know buggger all about training racehorses, but it is not unknown for horses to get a run over hurdles when there is nothing suitable over fences.

Best Mate in the Aintree hurdle. Doran's Pride ran in the Hatton's Grace. First Gold ran in the hurdle on Hennessy day at Newbury before trying to defend his King George.

You don't have to be trying to protect a mark, just looking for a run.

If what Shads has said about Haydock is accurate (haven't seen it recently I must admit, but she's only mentioned it 100 times like!), then the trip will be far more of a concern for Notre Pere unless they're absolutely swimming through the ground.

His superior jumping ability wont be as much of an advantage over those fences either. I'm going on saturday but it wont be a betting race.

Haydock is now Soft, Heavy In Places after 20mls of rain on Tuesday night - more rain forecast each day with 10mls forecast for Saturday.

Haydock Betfair Chase

Kauto Star making his eagerly awaited reappearance this Saturday at Haydock! 6/5 at the moment with Paddy Power. Great price if you ask me. All the noises from Ditcheat have been very very positive. Money from Notre Pere since yesterday, probably because heavy ground is forecast. He's now 2/1 from 3's! Kauto wont mind heavy conditions one bit as he demonstrated at Down Royal last year. I'm not biased, I swear!! Any opinions?

edit: hope you don't mind me moving your post in here, Kauto Abu. This thread pretty much covers just about all things Kauto Star, I reckon!

Last edited by a moderator:
It has rained all day today in Manchester and the forecast is pretty terrible - an abandonment seems very possible to me

As you can see from the race card, Exeter have opened up a 'DENMAN Room' and Diminuendo has been commissioned to supply all the photos for the room !

Well.....she might have some competition seeing as I've had a photo published in an international glossy magazine!! :D

I've got this question in a quiz and wondered if anyone knows the answer:

"Haydock Park now resembles:

A) The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
B) The sweeping expanse of the Great Steppe
C) A dog track (it's that tight)"

Personally, it has me stumped, but any help would be gratetfully received.

I know buggger all about training racehorses, but it is not unknown for horses to get a run over hurdles when there is nothing suitable over fences.

Best Mate in the Aintree hurdle. Doran's Pride ran in the Hatton's Grace. First Gold ran in the hurdle on Hennessy day at Newbury before trying to defend his King George.

You don't have to be trying to protect a mark, just looking for a run.

It's taken them long enough to get Kauto to jump properly. Sending him out over hurdles could get him to lapse back to his former bad habits.

In the next couple of weeks I hope to have a few antepost bets for Cheltenham, and I'm quite sweet on Cooldine at 10s. Granted, he has a lot of improvement to make, but Denman needs to show some of his old sparkle to justify his current price, Notre Pere needs it very soft and I can't see anything else in with a shout. That leaves only Kauto and if he turned up in last season's form then he'd be nearly impossible to beat but he's not getting any younger and Cooldine ticks a lot of boxes. Does anyone know if he is still scheduled to start off in the John Durkan?

Madison Du Berlais strikes me as a fair candidate to give Kauto Star a run for his money at Haydock.

Last edited:
He doesn't seem suited to Cheltenham though and I think Pipe said it's not certain he will even run at the course this season.

Denman needs to show some of his old sparkle to justify his current price

I sense it in my bones that Denman is back. I was subdued about him last season, but not now.

Deman at 9/1 and Binocular at 4/1 for their respective races are my only positions thus far.

Madison Du Berlais strikes me as a fair candidate to give Kauto Star a run for his money at Haydock.

I think this horse is a bit overrated due to his running against Denman last season. I don't imagine Kauto will have too many problems with him. Notre Pere may be tougher to beat than MdB.

Back