The Gordy Elliott Horror Picture Show

You'd like to think that there is behind the scenes contact between the IHRB and the BHA (and Gordon) to decide on what will work as a short/medium term solution that can be announced on Friday.

Personally, I'd be looking at:
- immediate suspension of licence to train with the facility to reapply on October 1st. That application to be properly reviewed and not automatically granted.
- horses transferred to the licence of an agreed person with the facility for an authorised person to oversee training at Cullentra.
- Elliott to be barred from racecourses but still allowed to work with horses preferably after some kind of course on horse welfare.
- a proportionate fine that goes to horse welfare charities.

I do wonder though if this might be the start of the demise of Cheltenham. The prize money is **** and the BHA could be accused of being anti-Irish. There are much better pots in Ireland and the DRF is turning into a real quality festival. The BHA best be careful what it wishes for.

Diminishing Cheltenham might be no bad thing. It has become a bit of a beast.

You'd like to think that there is behind the scenes contact between the IHRB and the BHA (and Gordon) to decide on what will work as a short/medium term solution that can be announced on Friday.

Personally, I'd be looking at:
- immediate suspension of licence to train with the facility to reapply on October 1st. That application to be properly reviewed and not automatically granted.
- horses transferred to the licence of an agreed person with the facility for an authorised person to oversee training at Cullentra.
- Elliott to be barred from racecourses but still allowed to work with horses preferably after some kind of course on horse welfare.
- a proportionate fine that goes to horse welfare charities.

Unfortunately that's far too sensible for either the BHA or IHRB Archie.

I do wonder though if this might be the start of the demise of Cheltenham. The prize money is **** and the BHA could be accused of being anti-Irish. There are much better pots in Ireland and the DRF is turning into a real quality festival. The BHA best be careful what it wishes for.

I think it would take Dad's Army and then some to stop the Irish coming across or for the Brits not to attend.....the crowds don't much care about prize money and its been thee meeting for over 250 years.......unstopable i reckon

Hopefully the start of a backtrack. They should have waited till Friday anyway.

Somebody just woke up in their club in Mayfair and remembered: "Oh Fcuk. There goes our five day festival."

If BHA alter the uniformity of discipline handshakes, IHRB and France Galop can easily follow suit. Mayble in Paris or Kildare they'll decide in fact that a 36 month ban would be more appropriate for a sexually transmitted cocaine habit at their tracks. How would that look? I know the BHA are probably enjoying their new found sense of national sovereighty these days but not not quite back to ruiing (all) the waves for a few years yet, old chaps. Need to be patient with that one.

Somebody just woke up in their club in Mayfair and remembered: "Oh Fcuk. There goes our five day festival."

If BHA alter the uniformity of discipline handshakes, IHRB and France Galop can easily follow suit. Mayble in Paris or Kildare they'll decide in fact that a 36 month ban would be more appropriate for a sexually transmitted cocaine habit at their tracks. How would that look? I know the BHA are probably enjoying their new found sense of national sovereighty these days but not not quite back to ruiing (all) the waves for a few years yet, old chaps. Need to be patient with that one.

Beautifully put. The prize money is just not there at Cheltebham for them to think it will always have the draw that it does. They can't go around shitting on whoever they don't like.

Last edited:
Let's not call a spade a shovel.

I began the week believing that they should throw the book at (to quote me) the 'thick gobshite.' But then I sit back and and listen to the dog whistling on social media, RTE, print, general commentary and maybe even on this hallowed place - and a theme emerges. The theme is 'type.' Gordon is not the same 'type' as Nicky, or Henry, or Jessica, or Willie or Cheveley Park. They are not the 'type' who might make it to the Pontin's banned list "but we all know that Gordon is a little more 'socially agricultural' so let's have a pile on."

I'm ending the week mortified that an offence that merited severe remprimand and solid punishment for negatively impacting a sport I love turned into a 'type-hunt' of shameful proportions. He's a tough nut and I believe he'll survive somehow, personally and professionally. I hope God spares me for Cheltenham 2031 to be there when he leads in his next Gold Cup winner.

Last edited:

I began the week believing that they should throw the book at (to quote me) the 'thick gobshite.' But then I sit back and and listen to the dog whistling on social media, RTE, print, general commentary and maybe even on this hallowed place - and a theme emerges. The theme is 'type.' Gordon is not the same 'type' as Nicky, or Henry, or Jessica, or Willie or Cheveley Park. They are not the 'type' who might make it to the Pontin's banned list "but we all know that Gordon is a little more 'socially agricultural' so let's have a pile on."

I'm ending the week mortified that an offence that merited severe remprimand and solid punishment for negatively impacting a sport I love turned into a 'type-hunt' of shameful proportions.

I'd echo that. In fairness, the debate here has been measured. However Twitter this week has been a disgrace and more unedifying than the original picture.

I'm ending the week mortified that an offence that merited severe remprimand and solid punishment for negatively impacting a sport I love turned into a 'type-hunt' of shameful proportions. He's a tough nut and I believe he'll survive somehow, personally and professionally. I hope God spares me for Cheltenham 2031 to be there when he leads in his next Gold Cup winner.

There is a flip side to that.

Some, not here to be fair have defended him for being more 'agricutural' than the namby-pamby well-to-do horsey set who can in their luxury take time to dote over their horses Whereas how he was brought up, not being part of that set, posing for photos on dead horses is all just a bit of craic - he isn't doing any harm after all and you can go off and clutch your pearls somewhere else.

A good PR person can tun this around for GE

It won't happen overnight but as Colm mentioned before, a PR led positivity approach, sizeable donation to equine charities, lose a bit of weight,become less jack the lad and take his punishment that comes and this we will all eventually move on from

Good for Reynolds and I hope the Morans stay loyal

A part of me thinks this is the fire that will relight Michael O'learys passion and he buys horses at the sales en masse again

You should have been a journalist.

Good post, Colm.

A good PR person can turn this around for GE

Problem you got there is that there is potentially other stories that may come out

The emergence of that photo came out for a reason, there are obviously people out there who want to get him

There has already been one accusation on Social Media from an ex employee accusing him of inappropriate behaviour

There's some more **** thats gonna hit the fan for him, this story as a while to run yet

I wonder if MOL is tempted to consolidate his scattered masses into GEs stable to fill the vacant boxes. That would be a thing.

Problem you got there is that there is potentially other stories that may come out

The emergence of that photo came out for a reason, there are obviously people out there who want to get him

There has already been one accusation on Social Media from an ex employee accusing him of inappropriate behaviour

There's some more **** thats gonna hit the fan for him, this story as a while to run yet

There is nothing else to come out. If they had anything they wouldn't be holding back now. The Rob James video was some stretch. He doesn't work in the yard and the video was taken at Colin Bowe's yard.

So, he lost Cheveley Park and wont be able to lead them up at Cheltenham (im guessing), think all in all, could be worse.

Back