The Gordy Elliott Horror Picture Show

Trying to sort the wheat from the chaff from what I've heard today regarding the trigger for this event, but if even half of it is true, it's pretty sensational stuff, and as Maruco said yesterday, best not repeated on a public forum, especially this one for Col's sake.

There was a stage today where 6 of the last 7 irish races were won by Elliot, Byrnes or Fenton.

Elliot always came across to me as a jack the lad and clearly in his attempt to be the big fella here will have major repercussions for himself and racing. It's the damage to horse racing that really pisses me off and for that not only do I find Elliot guilty but the person who put this on social media is all so responsible. Why did they not go to the HRI or BHA ? This is a vendetta being fought at the expense of an industry that has tens of thousands of people that deeply care about the welfare of their animals. What this person has done is tar them with the same brush as Mr Elliot in the eyes of Joe public.

Good post, Brian.

Gone far and wide this. Even just in my Facebook, people who know zilch about racing or Elliot have an opinion on it.

It must all depend on your social or social media groups.

I have honestly been anticipating texts, emails or phone calls today asking me about this.

Nada. Zilch. Rien. Zip.

Even the brother didn't know about it until the BBC mentioned it on the news.

Hopefully not that many outside racing are truly bothered.

Gordon tweeting about his 4 timer today with comments turned off. Top shithousery or a complete PR disaster. You’ve just got to sit and watch now :lol:

Elliot always came across to me as a jack the lad

A word that has been used in conversation with me in the past is "thug".

I can't actually remember the context in which the word was used to describe Elliott or who first used it. It might have been to do with his time at Pipe's.

Gone far and wide this. Even just in my Facebook, people who know zilch about racing or Elliot have an opinion on it. Thereby comes misinformation, and people guessing. Id wait for the facts to come out. Not sure we’ll wver know why though.

I was wondering where all the epidemiologists we unearthed last year would show up after the vaccines were developed.

I hate things like this being used by the media to sell papers etc......GE did a stupid thing but was it with malie...one thinks not.....latest I hear is british Traines are furious....fookin BS tey got more to do with their time.if the mediaa wasn't pushing for comments and putting words into trainers mouth no one would give a fook and just get on with their own jobs

Racing News
Monday 1st March, 2021 British trainers react with ‘outrage and disgust’ to Elliott social media image
By PA Sport Reporters
British trainers have voiced their “outrage and disgust” at the photograph of Gordon Elliott sitting on a dead horse which has shocked British and Irish racing.

Grand National and Gold Cup-winning trainer Elliott will be “cooperating fully” with an Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board investigation into the incident.

After County Meath-based Elliott confirmed the image – posted on Twitter on Saturday night – is genuine, counterparts in Britain have made their disquiet clear to the national representative body.

A statement on Monday read: “From yesterday evening through today, the National Trainers Federation has been contacted by its members expressing outrage and disgust at the image of Gordon Elliott circulating on social media.

“Although Mr Elliott is based in Ireland, the NTF – which represents trainers based in Great Britain – wishes the public to be in no doubt that its members distance themselves from the behaviour on display in that image, and want to emphasise their deeply felt values of care, respect and love for the racehorse.

“These values underpin the public’s confidence in the sport, and are indispensable to the future prosperity of all who work in horseracing.”

Grand National-winning jockey Mick Fitzgerald spoke of his shock and sadness after discovering the image was genuine.

Fitzgerald, a Cheltenham Gold Cup winner too in his distinguished riding career, initially thought and hoped the photograph on Elliott’s gallops was a fake – until a statement from the trainer dispelled those doubts on Sunday.

Fitzgerald told Sky Sports Racing: “When I read that statement, I can’t help but feel anything else but so sad.

“The number one thing we have to get out to everybody is how much we care about these horses.

“It is so important that everybody who is watching this channel, who has any interest at all in our sport, knows that at the heart of this are people who love these animals.”

Fitzgerald spoke personally, and also on the wider topic of the public’s perception of racing.

He said: “My initial reaction to it was ‘I hope it’s a fake’. That was what I thought – ‘it has to be fake’.

“It’s making me quite emotional, because these horses have given me a life that I’m privileged to have, and it just makes me feel so sad.

“I’ve been in situations where horses that I have looked after and ridden have unfortunately paid the ultimate sacrifice in our sport, and the care and attention they get right to the end – we have to emphasise to everyone watching that people care for these horses.

“We want to celebrate them (horses) and make them realise how much we care for them and how much they are loved by everybody in the sport.

“Anyone watching has to realise that we have nothing but the interests of these animals at heart.”

BHA confirm horses not allowed to run in britain, under elliott's name, while the investigation is ongoing

Owners will either transfer their horses, or they’ll run in someone else’s name (assistant or whatever).

Someone queried on Facebook if it might be linked to betting? Can anyone tell me what Elliotts background is? How he came to be in racing. I ask this because he’s always struck me as the sort of person that has an instinctive knowledge of horses in the way that a friend of mine had.

Not in his family. He had a uncle or grandad who liked points

He rode a bit, got too heavy

He went to Pipes, learned a few things and won a grand national very early days

The rest was history..

All my cash outs have now disappeared off 365. Absolute **** show. The lot of it.

BHA have a lot to answer for themselves.

Rumours already that Cheveley Park are moving their horses

Envoi going to De Bromheads

imagine a horse like that falls into your lap off the back of this

probably just nonsense rumours at this point though

Last edited:
Will Jack keep the ride on some of them if they move? I feel sorry for him : he’s fought back from injury so many times and now this happens.

Please don't spout **** that might make people cash out bets etc. The horses will run. Once they are entered nothing can stop them running.

Not exactly **** now Slim is it, with MOL sticking by him.

Cheveley Park tweet didn't look promising so possibly good news for Sir Gerhard/Envoi Allen backers. Can't have Willie taking them at all.

Would be concerned if I was Zanahiyr backer as don't see Moran throwing his fellow county man under the bus, also given how much he's invested into the operation.

Olly Murphy a possible.

You can't just transfer the licence into the assistant's name either (trainer's course required).

Also will the Turf Club suspend him with immediate effect? They normally set a date for an initial hearing and then there is the appeals process.

But someone like Gavin Cromwell, or AN Other could be named as trainer. If he has any friends left in the business.

Gordon Elliott says he has let down the racing industry, his owners and his staff with an "indefensible moment of madness" as the sport united in condemning the image of the trainer sitting on a dead horse on his gallops.

Elliott spoke exclusively to the Racing Post on a day that saw the British Horseracing Authority ban him from having runners in Britain while an investigation by the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board takes place into the image that appeared on social media at the weekend.

However, the BHA will allow the trainer's horses to run if transferred to another trainer. Elliott's team for Cheltenham includes the unbeaten superstar Envoi Allen.

Elliott's biggest owners, Gigginstown House Stud, have said they will stick by the trainer, who confirmed it was one of their horses, Morgan, in the image. The gelding won four of his 21 starts and died of a heart aneurysm as a seven-year-old in 2019.

The trainer discussed the incident on Monday and said that he will spend the rest of his life regretting and paying for the mistake he has made.

Elliott said: "It is indefensible. Whether alive or dead, the horse was entitled to dignity. A moment of madness that I am going to have to spend the rest of my life paying for and that my staff are suffering for.

"I will be punished, I fully understand that. But it absolutely breaks my heart to read and hear people say that I have no respect for my horses. That couldn't be further from the truth. My whole life has revolved around horses since I was a child. I know nothing else. Horses are all I have. I came from nothing and built a dream.

"When your world starts crumbling in front of you, it's a scary place to be. I just hope people can understand how truly sorry I am and find some way to forgive me for what I have done."

I’m sure the bbc arent trying to drop hints here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/56230013

Work hard, play hard.
A clip of an exuberant Elliott and Russell serenading Tiger Roll in his stable went viral after the pair sang the 'eye of the tiger' chorus from Katy Perry's song Roar.
Elliott was more recently romantically linked with Kate Harrington, the daughter of Gold Cup-winning trainer Jessica and her assistant trainer.
He appeared to have recovered from contracting Covid-19 over the festive period and a blip in the form of his runners.
Why an old photo would be leaked now and who took it remain questions for an inquiry by the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board along with whether he will be given the chance to send Tiger Roll out to bid for a record-equalling third National win in April.

Racing's rumour mill is in overdrive. Shortly before the photo emerged, he dismissed talk that he had invited friends to a makeshift pub at his stables, saying a video clip was taken a year ago.
Someone may have it in for the determined and ambitious Elliott, but he is in a plight of his own making.
His explanation that he had taken a phone call and sat down on the horse "without thinking" has garnered little sympathy.
Horse Racing Ireland said the photo was a "disservice" to people in racing. Their British counterparts called it appalling.
While O'Leary has offered support, Elliott now faces an uncertain future.
He is 43 on Tuesday. It is likely to be an unusually sombre birthday

Last edited:
Gordon Elliott says he has let down the racing industry, his owners and his staff with an "indefensible moment of madness" as the sport united in condemning the image of the trainer sitting on a dead horse on his gallops.

Elliott spoke exclusively to the Racing Post on a day that saw the British Horseracing Authority ban him from having runners in Britain while an investigation by the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board takes place into the image that appeared on social media at the weekend.

However, the BHA will allow the trainer's horses to run if transferred to another trainer. Elliott's team for Cheltenham includes the unbeaten superstar Envoi Allen.

Elliott's biggest owners, Gigginstown House Stud, have said they will stick by the trainer, who confirmed it was one of their horses, Morgan, in the image. The gelding won four of his 21 starts and died of a heart aneurysm as a seven-year-old in 2019.

The trainer discussed the incident on Monday and said that he will spend the rest of his life regretting and paying for the mistake he has made.

Elliott said: "It is indefensible. Whether alive or dead, the horse was entitled to dignity. A moment of madness that I am going to have to spend the rest of my life paying for and that my staff are suffering for.

"I will be punished, I fully understand that. But it absolutely breaks my heart to read and hear people say that I have no respect for my horses. That couldn't be further from the truth. My whole life has revolved around horses since I was a child. I know nothing else. Horses are all I have. I came from nothing and built a dream.

"When your world starts crumbling in front of you, it's a scary place to be. I just hope people can understand how truly sorry I am and find some way to forgive me for what I have done."
Have every sympathy with GE's sentiments. He made a mistake in what was a minor off-guard incident, and it's blown up to international tragedy status by other's perceptions.
In reality, he'll lose a great deal more than any of his critics.

I remember Morgan.
A Big Bad Bob half brother to Johns Sprit that cost 140000, looked the business when defeating Bargy Lady in a Cork Bumper but did not realise that potential, died 2019.
I believe GE is paying Giggi back for the yard over a maybe ten year period (rumour) so They would stay on board .
With social media the way it is (just look at the number of entries here) Ge would want to step aside now and await IHRB sanctions to have any chance at rehabilitation as a trainer in future, not that the keyboarders would allow it.
Whoever takes over would need to have a training course completed with Turf Club/HRI so that might preclude say Davy Russell from taking over the licence.
Sure to be someone suitable within the yard but whether the bigger owners would buy it is another matter.

Someone has it in for GE for sure; Kevin O'Ryan should know who imo.
Let's see what he says.

Back