The King George

Have loved NH racing for nearly 30 years now and don't think I've ever wanted a horse to win a race more than Cue Card tomorrow. I've been emotionally & financially linked with him since his champion bumper win and am balls deep AP at 10/1 & 12/1. Would have been preferable for the rain to stay away, but still think if he jumps as well as Haydock, they wont get passed him. Can't wait...

I do think it's between the front 4 and expect both Dynaste and SC to come on for the Haydock race. But, as I've said, if CC jumps as well as he did there, would be surprised if they can get passed him

Last edited:
Barney Clifford 2012

Persistent wet weather continues to wipe out race meetings around the country but it appears, for the moment at least, that there is no threat to the King George VI Chase on Kempton's Boxing Day card. The going there is no worse than soft and Barney Clifford, the clerk of the course, said on Friday: "We're in a good place.

"I've just walked it and it's an amazing track, like a colander. We had an inch of rain last weekend, it took that well, and we had another inch yesterday and it's taken that well, too.

"We're forecast another 25mm to 30mm before midnight on Christmas Eve, then Christmas Day and Boxing Day should be dry with a risk of the odd shower. So it'll be soft at best.
----------------------------------------------

Going on the day 'HEAVY'

Today's going stick readings are already within an ace of last year's, and it can be nobbut heavy tomorrow, no matter what they call it.
Pity really, as it compromises the chances of the best 2 horses on the day,. Cue Card has no chance of lasting home, and MTOY's speed will be severely blunted.

Last edited:
I think CC has a huge chance of staying but only if he jumps. Last year he clouted the 1st, was clumsy at the 2nd and then tanked for the next 2 miles but was still travelling OK 3 out before tiring & not given a hard time. He's clearly learned to settle better this year, so if he jumps well reckon, he'll be right there over the last as certainly was stopping at Haydock & was actually pulling away in the last 50 yrds

He certainly wasn't, but 2 other things you can equally be certain about was that the race wasn't run over the advertised distance, or on the advertised ground.
Though the distance was reputedly a furlong further than normal, they actually started the race from around a furlong past the normal 3m start, and the time of the race would have been near impossible, compared to Kauto Star's course record.
2 of the hurdle races that day ran times which suggest the ground was no worse than good, yet achieved on a track reported considerably slower than the chase course (g.s.r.: H 4.6 - C5.2).
My own view is that Cue Card was able to dictate his own pace from the 3rd fence onward, and Joe Tizzard took full advantage over a shortened course and on kindly ground. Even if that is not accepted, the notion that he outstayed proven stayers such as Dynaste and Silviniaco Conti would be wildly optimistic. He won the race that day as he normally does, by speed and slick jumping, anyone expecting more of the same on today's ground will likely be sorely disappointed.

Last edited:
I think Dynaste will reverse form with Cue Card, I don't think Cue Card will get home in the heavy ground. The Nicholls pair are the dangers, especially Silvinaco Conti.

Long Run isn't as good as he was and Mount Benbulben was flattered by his Punchestown win and is over rated.

the betfair was a disgrace re the actual distance run..its a joke really isn't it not actually knowing the true distance of a race of that stature

one thing to also bear in mind...the timing of NH races has changed this season which is having the effect of making ground seem quicker than it is... on all courses. Now that they only start the clock when they pass the starter it can be affecting race times by up to 5 seconds

The C4 team are suggesting, having walked the track, the ground isn't anywhere near as soft as feared.

I suspect we're only now seeing the real Cue Card and that he will confirm the Haydock form comfortably. That only leaves Al Ferof as the main danger and he has to prove he's as good. He might be. He might even be better but he still has to prove it so I reckon there's a smidgen of value in the 4/1 about Cue Card.

His breeding suggests he'll be even better over further, EC1 - his sire is a very strong influence for stamina.

can't understand why they haven't upped him before now Grass if that is the case...its a tough ask on heavy ground

i'll just add re Dynaste..who i have now completely gone off..bound to win now;)...Feltham winners don't exactly farm the KG do they?..just one winner has followed up..Long Run

can't understand why they haven't upped him before now Grass if that is the case...its a tough ask on heavy ground

i'll just add re Dynaste..who i have now completely gone off..bound to win now;)...Feltham winners don't exactly farm the KG do they?..just one winner has followed up..Long Run

They had to write last season off, remember. Don't think there's anything sinister in him not having been over the trip yet. :cool:

Last edited:
looking at his form does tend to back that up...he has always run on better ground...when you consider how much bad ground a horse would generally meet during a NH season..he looks to have been campaigned to avoid it

But did stay on stoutly in the PP on poor ground under a big weight
Whether Kempton plays to his strengths is another thing though

yes Fonz..its quite a conundrum this race isn't it?

i'll just back Menorah and hope he places at worst..because i just can't find one horse that completely convinces me

I would like to know how anyone can be certain about cue cards stamina when there is no evidence to the contrary either way.

I sincerely hope he wins because he's just a stand out exciting horse. Haydock was one of thaoe runs that really made hairs stand up on neck. you dont have to define sta quality but you know it when you see it

Also as with the tingle creek, prizes to smaller stables have to be welcomed.

That feltham stat ec is a silly one really isn't it? I mean ...what logic is there to that. Absolutely none

Long run is to be completely avoided I believe. Once a horse is on a downward spiral etc. evidence isn't 100% but I can see him trailing in

Back