The Leger

The Magic Sign must KNOW!!!!!

On a related note, I saw Big Mac on C4 today for the first time in a while. In a weird way I was delighted to see him...

As for the Leger, I find it hard to see Frozen Fire beaten provided he gets the trip (slight doubt). A turn of foot like he has is a prized commodity in this race.

Unsung Heroine is a progressive filly whose Cork form (2 lengths victory over hasanka) reads fairly well. Trip shouldn't be a concern, nor should the ground.

As for the Leger, I find it hard to see Frozen Fire beaten provided he gets the trip (slight doubt)..

Slight:eek::eek: His pedigree screams 12f max. I can`t believe Chris is laying Dr F when this animal is like 9/4. Awful awful price. Mind you, that matters fuck all this year the way it`s gone with AOB`s charges.

I have decided Look Here is one of 3 horses that will have to be wrestled out of the frame in their respective races later today, Angus Newz at Chester and Mores Wells at the Curragh being the other 2. At 4/1, 6/1 and 8/1 they look solid e/w bets.

It is now trained by Jeremy Noseda. ;)

So he is! Noseda's season hasn't been much better though :D

In fact several biggish Newmarket yards haven't fired at all this season in the way one might have expected - Stoute, Fanshawe, Noseda, bin Suroor, PCH - are they all on the same side of town? - do they use the same gallops and walkways [not Godolphin...] Is it the damp or a virus around town I wonder?

Heads, Chapple-Hyam's are flying now. 4 winners this week and they are really coming back to themselves at home.

In the 3.45, Al Qasi will be a max stakes ew for me.

I have other reason's for laying Doctor Fremantle.

He worked on the watered gallop 2 months ago and was tailed off in a piece of work, Kieren rode him and said he hated the slow ground. He also has been very lazy in his work, and the only reason Ryan has got on him, is he doesn't know if Conduit will handle testing ground. To be honest if the ground was fast I would have been lumping on Conduit, but had small ew because now you just don't know if he will handle it. I wouldn't be surprised to see both well beat to be honest.

But Doctor Fremantle's work of late has been very poor, he also doesn't look great in his coat and he won't enjoy the ground. Then you have to bring in the factor you don't know if he would stay. I know for certain many people at the yard were surprised to see him run. I would give Warringah a much higher chance than him to be honest as he worked 3/4L behind him in midweek but was not as vigrously ridden as Doctor Fremantle.

So for me there is enough reasoning there to oppose.

So he is! Noseda's season hasn't been much better though :D

In fact several biggish Newmarket yards haven't fired at all this season in the way one might have expected - Stoute, Fanshawe, Noseda, bin Suroor, PCH - are they all on the same side of town? - do they use the same gallops and walkways [not Godolphin...] Is it the damp or a virus around town I wonder?

Not sure what your syaing Heads.

All of Newmarket rotate around 5 - 6 gallops. Stoute has had a good season though, so I'm not sure what you're saying there. Fanshawe just has alot of limited stock and has been unfortunate that a couple of his better types have been injured this season. Noseda's were sick in june and july. There is nothing wrong with Godolphin's horses, you only need to watch them work to realise they just have alot of crap in the yard and that the horses in training sales in October should have had a full catelogue from them, there best 4 horses have all been injured this year mind. However they will win the L'Arc trial tomorrow, that thing is an absolute beast. Chapple-Hyam's horses were backward this year and he is a trainer whose juveniles rarely train on because they have hard juvenile season's. He works them harder than Channon, Hannon and Cole ever have. His 2yo's this term have been slow to hand, but a few nice sorts are coming through now, whilst a couple of his older horses are only now getting going. I think he could finish the year strong as there is some nice ammo still in the locker, expecially in the 7f - 1m colts department.

Interesting that Frozen Fire has a similar DI to Lucarno. I don`t think the latter would win the race this year, it is a stronger renewal and he won for me without really staying, class got him through. I don`t think FF will have the same luxury.

Thanks for the extra info Chris. I was just remarking that by their own high standards those yards don't seem to have had a sparkling season - I'm not the first person to have said so! - and wondered if there might be a physical reason for it, connected to the weather; but other Nmkt yards esp Haggas have had good seasons.

Of course AOB's dominance of the big Group races probably has more to do with it

PS And thanks Steve for the link - very informative as ever, esp regarding Whistledownwind

Last edited:
On balance I don’t really want the filly to win but she has a compelling chance… I’d prefer Frozen Fire.

I’ve backed her at 6/1 several days ago (was already on Frozen Fire and Tartan Bearer). Also considering a saver on Fremantle at least for a place.

I think Frozen Fire will get this trip standing on his head. Murtagh will ride him very quietly though I would have thought.

Been off the track a month longer than any of the last 40 odd winners. Too big an ask, and so i've decided to plump with the Doctor (and hope)

You can lay the filly for a place at 1.85 at the moment-max lay in my opinion.An Irish victory in my opinion but not sure which one.

Back