The Next President?

I get what you`re saying, but what was the alternative? Ford was a lame duck president so electing Carter was partially understandable.

The boy saying something silly

It was playground stuff, wasn't it?
Just in case anyone missed it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7608653.stm

... you can still catch up ... as Mrs Obama tells her man :)

However, he's too busy lying back, looking cool, feeling the applause and that woman might just be getting quite a bit impatient.
As Obama said a few weeks ago, "She tells me what to do and I do it" -- really.
Get ready to be told, old chap.

Regards

Carter gets a bad rep.............he did broker a genuine and lasting peace between Israel and Egypt - no mean achievement.

The polls are tightening right up again. McCain has taken a lead in New Mexico (within the margin of error, however) whilst Obama has a nice lead in New Hampshire and is up in Michigan.

Regarding election night itself, assuming the results come in fairly uniformly east-west as polls close, it could be a very long night with Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada all having the potential to be the tipping point for both sides.

Presuming those Mountain West states close at 7.00PM local (I think that's the standard time most places, though it varies), that makes it 2.00AM our time. It'll be well into the morning before we get any indication of the results from the likes of Colorado, NM I would imagine.

A black man with 'Hussein' in his name has just made an indirect insinuation that a God - fearing white woman is a 'pig'. Game, set and match GOP.

Totally

Unbelievable gaffe

Fantastic for the Republicans. I fear the day that Palin takes over from a brown bread Mccain but this green somewhat cosseted lawyer's judgement seems to be all over the place on occasions

Even if this is a regularly used phrase, surely surely his brain would connect quickly enough to pick up on the topical significance of the lipstick remark

Carter as a president was an absolute disaster in everyway.

As a person and his behivour in the last 20 years simply stinks.

At least was deputed by the great Ronald.

:D you just drew my attention to that incorrect spelling of doobie (marijuana) I was sarcastically accusing you of being on drugs after your last comment about Regan....but as you are Spanish you probably do partake :D:D

Polls in Florida, Ohio, Nevada and New Mexico are giving McCain a slight edge in the electoral college.

Why on earth Betfair doesn't have them closer is beyond me.

As a person and his behivour in the last 20 years simply stinks.

I certainly wouldn't dispute that Carter was a bad president (you'd want to be a brave man to make any other argument!), but to say his behavior since "stinks" is complete and utter shite. He has been a fantastic and committed ambassador for a number of worthy causes around the world and has done some fantastic charity work.

I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that you are reducing his work over the past 20 years to nowt simply because you don't agree with his take on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Personally I have the greatest respect for a man who tries to constructively solve a complex problem and isn't simply willing to tow the government line.

Totally

Unbelievable gaffe

Fantastic for the Republicans. I fear the day that Palin takes over from a brown bread Mccain but this green somewhat cosseted lawyer's judgement seems to be all over the place on occasions

Even if this is a regularly used phrase, surely surely his brain would connect quickly enough to pick up on the topical significance of the lipstick remark

You're over-stating it Clive. An election won't be won or lost on the strength of this remark, anymore so than they'll be able to turn it into a judgemental issue and use it as evidence to widen things out. By next week most Americans will have forgotten about it, and some other non-issue will be in the news, and debated out of all proportion. There's still the much fabled October surprise to run yet, and of all the candidates I'd have my monet Palin to be the nutter most likely to provide it (mind Obama would be second on my list)

<< By next week most Americans will have forgotten about it, and some other non-issue will be in the news, and debated out of all proportion >>

That's true of the media, Warbler, but the US media is almost totally divorced from the people, ie the voters. They are insular, patriotic, religious (even very liberal-seeming Americans) and as one of the Times comments notes, much more right-wing as a body than Europeans.

It is very difficult imo to call this election in particular from comments in the media, which has been biased towards the Dems all along, and has not subjected Obama to the rigorous examination the situation calls for. I still think McCain will win comfortably - the voters will play safe in the end and stick with what they know - God, Guns, Apple-Pie - and the Free Market

I meant print media, which shoudl be doing analysis not just 'reportage' as telly mainly does and I should have specified -

agreed Fox is very biased in the other direction, but surely only the already converted watch it??

Back