The Non-Triers Thread

It might have been Call The Cops although that Kampton race doesn't appear to have been a Saturday so I'd need to have accessed the video online, and that doesn't sound like me. I'll see if I can find the video, that way I'll know as soon as I see it.

I'm pretty sure Verdana Blue is too recent for it to have been her.

(Just shows how many Hendo does it with...)

I did have a saver on The Tourard Man that day but only at 28/1. I also backed him in 2017 at 66/1(6 places) when he managed a place.

Doux Pretender hangs left in all his races.

De Boinville started him on the inside in the Lanzarote but his jumping was so pronounced down the back straight that he ended up on the outside turning in and was intractable.

The same happened in Ascot when he won under Noel Fehily, but that was on softer ground and he had a rail to run against.

A risky proposition.

The notion that a non trier is a simple black & white intepretation of a horse's performance in a single race is plain wrong.

Not every non trier is as blatant as Sean Fox

With respect, Marble, that's a very dangerous train of thought. It assumes [Solomon Grey] can match ITCF's improvement. Also, I wouldn't assume he can improve from yesterday. It's a wee bit unusual for a horse to finish second in a top handicap and 'come on' for the run (ie assumes lack of fitness) as opposed to maintaining an upward improvement curve. He'll go up two or three pounds for yesterday but it was the worst renewal of the Lanzarote I can recall, with the top weight off just 134. You get higher rated top-weights in £10k midweek handicaps.

If SG is one of the best handicapped hurdlers in training on all known form I think I'll pack it in now.

Solomon Grey has been raised 6lbs for last Saturday.

If anybody watched the 1.25 at Kelso I'd welcome views on the ride on Just a Tenner. I had no financial involvement, but it seemed to me that (a) horse was strangled or (b) 3lb claimer is incompetent. Any opinions?

(ps The emission of the definite article in all my future posts are solely for the purpose of aggravating DO.Thanks)

Just watched the race. It's hard to tell. Had it been a seasoned pro I'd have said it was a badly-judged ride.

Without knowing the result I wondered if the jockey had been instructed to get the horse settled, perhaps not get it too involved early and keep Lucy Alexander's horse (a cert to be trying) and maybe Brian Hughes's horse within striking distance and maybe the trainer gave him too much confidence. He still beat the favourite.

I accept your decency as read of course. Personally I thought I was watching one of the jockeys in the cartoon races or God forbid, that JP Magnier had made a comeback.

I think Solomon Grey is very much a work in progress.

I backed this one today for The Coral Cup. That's my first anti-post bet for Cheltenham 2019. I just hope he doesn't run in the Martin Pipe handicap now. Anyway, had fifty sterling e/w on. Pays your money, takes your chance.

Last edited:
I accept your decency as read of course. Personally I thought I was watching one of the jockeys in the cartoon races or God forbid, that JP Magnier had made a comeback.

Maybe if you or TVI one took 2 minutes to watch him run in a previous race you would know he is almost always dropped out like that

Sometimes he is good enough sometimes like this time he wasn't here.

Harry Reed who is good value for his 3lbs timed his run to perfection giving the horse every chance but as soon as they hit the rising ground he seemed to hit a brick wall.

He has gone up 17lbs since he won at Perth in the Autumn and as it was his first attempt at the trip, it must be possible he didn't stay.

I'd say he's run a cracker under the circumstances

Last edited:
I backed Solomon Grey today for The Coral Cup. That's my first anti-post bet for Cheltenham 2019. Pays your money, takes your chance.
It was good to see Lord Napier, third in The Lanzarote Hurdle, winning today off 134 by 9 lengths.

It doesn't make the second that day, Solomon Grey, look too badly handicapped off 136!!!

Anyone know when The Coral Cup entries are out? Please let me know.

Last edited:
Just been rewatching the 2.00pm at Leop today for clues for Cheltenham.

There’s a few I noticed but none more so than Eclair De Beaufeu. Finished 4th but looked like it was a sighter for something else was touched once with the whip and took off. Kennedy had to take a pull IMO to hold on to him. He’s gping to miles ahead of his mark.

It was good to see Lord Napier, third in The Lanzarote Hurdle, winning today off 134 by 9 lengths.

It doesn't make the second that day, Solomon Grey, look too badly handicapped off 136!!!

I wouldn't necessarily rush to that conclusion.

The trainer said after the race that the horse has only just come right in the last couple of weeks and that the step up in trip helped him.

The handicapper might take things at face value and raise the Lanzarote principals again for standing in their boxes.

Back