The Oaks 2012

Is Wading a definate runner lads? Does she have a prep race?

Who knows. I'd say Kissed is the certainty to run, as she's best suited to the stamina requirements of the race and it looks like Maybe could be joining her if the market is anything to go by. Where this leaves Wading I'm not sure, but she would surely run a big race in this too.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Was yet. Apparently she goes for either the Blue Wind Stakes at Naas or the Musidora. I think she could be the one. Only the maiden win last year, but it was a lovely one.

Definitely think that Maybe will be outstayed over the Oaks trip. I wish they'd run her at Ascot instead.

I wish they'd run her at Ascot instead.

She's in the Ribblesdale and Coronation, so you may yet get your wish. I get the impression she's a a sort of default fall back in the Oaks in case the others don't shape up. I'd say Kissed is first in the pecking order for the Oaks but another place or two are up for grabs at the moment. Ascot may still be the move for Maybe.

John Gosden reported The Fugue was struck into in the Guineas, but presumably it wasn't serious as she has been entered in the Muisidora.

I think the front three in the market have similar chances really so Vow is a good price. Could drift on the day as well.

You've obviously got to be worried about how she'll handle Epsom after that but she looks to have the ability to take another big step next time out.

I agree with connections that it was greenness more than the track. And Johnny was just getting her into top gear at the time so the longer straight at Epsom will help.

Vow is a very likeable filly, but I think her odds are unrealistic.
I'd like to know what rating she is been given by her backers.

I agree she should step forward again, but I wouldn't back her at those odds.

Vow is a very likeable filly, but I think her odds are unrealistic.
I'd like to know what rating she is been given by her backers.

She's entitled to be shorter than Kissed imo. And let's face it we're talking the Oaks here not the Arc, It doesn't take much of a filly to get placed given a bit of ability, luck in running and a sensible ride. Just look at the rogue that was runner-up last year.

Lot to like about Vow. Can't believe that the selected Ballydoyle team won't dominate this though, they would have to get the final selection hopelessly wrong to lose.

Maybe is a huge danger and will come on big time for the run at Newmarket. But if she doesn't stay Vow wins hopefully.

It's all about visual impressions with Vow. Given that the time of her Oaks trial was quite a slot slower than the winner recorded in the Derby trial, I would have expected her to come home more than than 0.2secs faster for the last 2f than Main Sequence did. Okay, if she had run in a straight line, she might have done, but I think she is a very short price at 5-7/1 and will be against her at those odds.

The only other horse that was in the race with her failed to stay, and the runner-up was almost as eye-catching having barely been put into the race.

I'm looking to The Fugue to step up in the Muisidora on Wednesday and be trading at single figures after.

It's all about visual impressions with Vow. Given that the time of her Oaks trial was quite a slot slower than the winner recorded in the Derby trial, I would have expected her to come home more than than 0.2secs faster for the last 2f than Main Sequence did. Okay, if she had run in a straight line, she might have done, but I think she is a very short price at 5-7/1 and will be against her at those odds.

She won it quite cosy in the end though whereas the colts had a bit of a protracted duel.

John Gosden reported The Fugue was struck into in the Guineas, but presumably it wasn't serious as she has been entered in the Muisidora.

No not serious. More 'bumped into the back of' rather than 'struck into' it seems.

Gosden: "She ran a nice race at Newmarket in the 1000 Guineas, especially as one ran into the back of her after a furlong or so, which meant she lost her stride for a bit.

"However, she finished the race strongly and has been in good form since. She lacks racing experience and we are keen to run her to see which route we go down - whether we stay at a mile and a quarter or go a mile and a half. Unfortunately the races come quite close together but I'm happy with her."

Wading has a bad smell
she had entries for two guineas trials
and the fact she is not even entered for the Musidora or Naas, makes me think she will not be running in some months
It is a pity, for me she was the best of Ballydoyle team

Yep - "Wading didn’t come right in the spring and I don’t want to force her so I’d be surprised if she makes Epsom.”

Wading has a bad smell
she had entries for two guineas trials
and the fact she is not even entered for the Musidora or Naas, makes me think she will not be running in some months
It is a pity, for me she was the best of Ballydoyle team

I'm afraid so... see today's statement.Maybe and Kissed inked in and Was a possible:

O’Brien could have three representatives in the Investec Oaks and added: “Maybe and Kissed will go straight for Epsom and we could look at the race for Was, who we might run at Naas on Thursday, as well. Wading didn’t come right in the spring and I don’t want to force her so I’d be surprised if she makes Epsom.”

I thought Kissed looked a bit gangly the last day. She clearly has an engine but perhaps lacks the maturity for the big day . . .

Back