The Oaks (and beyond)

Surprised Manning set Akdarena off like he did. No point in doing that imo.

Remember When gets the trip a lot better than I gave her credit.

Last edited:
It's not that Remember When just didn't get the trip, the other 2 fillies were better. We can't have a situation where FAG is comfortably better when he outstays the other horses in his race but then Remember When is only outstayed (and not inferior) when she doesn't win.

I couldn't have picked any of the first 3 on form/staying ability - was as wide open as thought beforehand.

I'd back Remember When against them again over 1m2f, the type to improve more and more with racing too for me.

I'd love them to take her to the Nassau.

True, followed by the Nassau. She's the type to love a spot of Goodwood, really get some momentum going down the hill.

I'd have the winner (and the second) on about 115 (OR scale) for that.

Time was 2.35s, or 14 lengths, slower than the Coronation Cup, most of which would be accounted for by WFA.

I'd normally agree with you but I think she's the type to do a Peeping Fawn and keep improving and improving.

I was watching Remember when from start to finish. Murtaghs tactics where risky. He dropped her out last and than tucked her in on the rail when he got a chance and she got bumped at the bend. When he changed his route as a result of it he ended up getting there too soon. Given a clear run I would be uncertain as to who would finish in front between her and the other two in front.Maybe she needs to be covered but she did seem to put the effort in.

Sheikh, you need to watch Meeznah and Snow Fairy's passage also... Neither had the clearest of runs and I think the best fillies on the day finished in the right order pretty much. She definitely wasn't an unlucky loser imho.

Aftertiming, kind of, but I backed Meeznah - Win only - and thought she ran a cracker. Got bumped half way up the straight but was beaten fair and square as she got first run on the winner. Fair play to Dunlop, I didn;t think she could win, and a deserved first classic for happy chops.

I had a fairly hefty bet on Remember When and the comparison with Peeping Fawn is one that occured to me after the Irish 1000.
Maybe she will clean up in Group 1's but I thought she came to win her race both days but failed to finish the job for whatever reason.

The race was run to suit those held up and I didn't see anything to suggest the race is anything but an average, perhaps slightly below-par renewal. Certainly a weaker race that last year's I think.

I thought that the winner was very impressive. I like Remember When and think she will improve, and will probably prove better at 10f but the best filly won the race.

I think Midday will struggle to win a race this season.To me she needed plenty of driving in France and America -never like to see that in a horse.

Perhaps you're right - but to my eyes Remember When is a 112 horse max right now - Midday would beat her easily, even if she has regressed slightly.

It's not that Remember When just didn't get the trip, the other 2 fillies were better. We can't have a situation where FAG is comfortably better when he outstays the other horses in his race but then Remember When is only outstayed (and not inferior) when she doesn't win.

I couldn't have picked any of the first 3 on form/staying ability - was as wide open as thought beforehand.

I thought Remember When did stay... I was wrong to doubt her.

Sheikh, you need to watch Meeznah and Snow Fairy's passage also... Neither had the clearest of runs and I think the best fillies on the day finished in the right order pretty much. She definitely wasn't an unlucky loser imho.

Aftertiming, kind of, but I backed Meeznah - Win only - and thought she ran a cracker. Got bumped half way up the straight but was beaten fair and square as she got first run on the winner. Fair play to Dunlop, I didn;t think she could win, and a deserved first classic for happy chops.

Fair enough, when Remember got the bump it set her alight too soon.
I'd like to see the three of them do it again without traffic problems.
Meeznahs 9 lenght victory did catch the eye before the race alright, even if it was only a maiden you don't see that too often at Newmarket.
Another nice filly for Intikhab in Snow fairy.

Interesting you say that about Midday Luke. She didn't go a yard at York.

In my experience on the flat or over jumps any horse that needs vigorous driving or gets badly outpaced midrace tends to need more and more driving with time.
Obviously there will be exceptions to the rule but I don't like to see it in high class horses.

Last edited:
Back