The Oaks & Irish Oaks

yes, spotted that Gareth..I would say its 75/25 she stays

I read somewhere ...think it were a jockey quote...that the 10.5f at York is a real test and if a horse stays it well will get the Derby trip...I never really understood that because the track is so flat..but very few..off top of me head..Dante winners fail in the Derby due to not staying

would think it would be the same for the fillies

The long straight would demand stamina above the average flat track I suppose..just because the track is flat its easy to think of the course as easy to get I suppose.

I'm probably just talking crap here by the way :rolleyes:

Chorist got 10f well, if I recall.

I always assumed Pivotals would stay, if they had a stout damline. A bit like Danehill.

But I am struggling to think of any top class examples.

It’s true Sariska would have to show more than typical stamina for a Pivotal to get the Oaks trip, but her dam side gives her a decent chance.

It’s often said that the fillies need to get the trip a bit better than the colts (due to body fat), which would probably be against Sariska, however.

Pivotal's sire, Polar Falcon, was a decent sprinter and miler in France and highweighted older horse on the 1991 French Free Handicap (5-7 furlongs) as a four-year-old. Pivotal was from his first crop and one of his best runners.
Pivotal's dam was by 1995 Breeders’ Cup Mile winner Cozzene, who has sired a variety of milers and distance horses of high class on both turf and dirt.

As far as the sire’s side is concerned Sariska’s Oaks case is far from watertight. But like I say the dam side gives hope. Pivotal’s best progeny include:

GOLDEN APPLES (damsire Kaldoun) Champion Turf Filly in US. Won six races including Del Mar Oaks.
SOMNUS (damsire Night Shift) Champion Sprinter in Europe. Won nine races including Prix de la Foret, Longchamp, Stanley Leisure Sprint Cup, Haydock.
HALFWAY TO HEAVEN (damsire Indian Ridge) won three races including Irish 1,000 Guineas, Curragh, Nassau Stakes, Goodwood, Sun Chariot Stakes, Newmarket.
MEGAHERTZ (damsire Rahy) won 13 races including the Yellow Ribbon Stakes, Santa Anita.
PEERESS (damsire Primo Dominie) won seven races including Juddmonte Lockinge Stakes, Newbury, Sun Chariot Stakes, Newmarket.
EXCELLENT ART (damsire Seeking The Gold) won four races including the St James Palace Stakes, Royal Ascot, Mill Reef Stakes, Newbury.
KYLLACHY (damsire Song) Champion Sprinter in Europe 2002. Won six races including the Nunthorpe Stakes, Temple Stakes, Sandown.
CHORIST (damsire Chief Singer) JointChampion Intermediate Older Filly in the World 2004. Won nine races including Audi Pretty Polly Stakes, Curragh.
SAOIRE (damsire Danehill) won two races including Irish 1,000 Guineas, Curragh.
FALCO (damsire Unbridled) won two races including Poule d'Essai des Poulains, Longchamp.

Last edited:
Not a bad show from Beauty O Gwuan there, made hard work of it but you'd think she'll come on for the run.

Well that should set you nice little puzzle trying to work a rating out for her. Either a hurricance force wind at Naas, or more likely one of the worst cases of rail movement I've seen for a long time

I was surprised how well Sariska handled the ground yesterday. Like a few others, I was far more taken by the manner of her victory having watched it a few times. She's a tall, heavy-topped filly, though I doubt Epsom will cause her many problems given how well she seems to travel through her races.

Enticement didn't look to handle the ground anywhere near as well, though in fairness to Sariska and Star Ruby she doesn't possess the tactical speed or acceleration of either. I wouldn't give up on her yet by any means though - absolutely gorgeous, athletic filly.

Lot of talk about the ground yesterday suggesting it was certainly on the fast side of good to firm (and the term under-watered was even muttered!).

Too many of them didn`t seem to like the ground. But the winner is a worthy favourite for the Oaks and it was a better trial than the Dante overall.

Well that should set you nice little puzzle trying to work a rating out for her. Either a hurricance force wind at Naas, or more likely one of the worst cases of rail movement I've seen for a long time

Yep, nigh on impossible. Round course timings all over the place!

They're really not; in fact Irish racing now provides far better timing information than you get in Britain (at the major tracks, anyway). Probably a subject for another thread, though.

There is always constant heavy ground in Ireland and how many horses like that sort of condition it must be a dream in setting up a handicap job over there. There are a few times this year that have alreadly left me perplexd well I say few I mean plenty - Mad About You for a start.

Nevermind like you say theres another thread for this

Difficult one. Her close relation Arkadina stayed 12f but does Danehill Dancer defer to the dam side for stamina like Danehill himself did? Not sure. On balance Kayhasi`s presence swings it for me.

I`m probably gonna end up backing Rainbow View for this if for no other reason than classic form is the best form. She deserves another chance on a more appropriate surface.

Broke the course record at Chester, and tops my own figures I seem to recall, but I couldn't help thinking that she wouldn't get away with that stunt again in a better field. My suspicion is that there'd be too many capable of getting to her in the chasing group if she presents a target. She struck me as soemthign that would be ideal for the Prix Diane, but Aiden never seems to bother with that race

Pricewise goes for Beauty O'Gwaun.

Despite the rethink she might not run as Oxx thinks she is inexperienced and will develop into a better filly later on. Puts it as no stronger than "leaning toward" the race... I'd hold your bets on her.

If she gets the trip (and I think she might well) there is only one winner of this on better than fast ground. Hoover up all of the 6s on Rainbow View with Corals for those not already on.

Granted the ground is not too fast I think Oxx will run Beauty O'Gwaun. Appears she has come out of her Naas race extremely well.

I don't think Rainbow View will get the trip nor do I think she is good enough.

I agree re Rainbow view Steve. Why don't you think she's good enough, Galileo? Surely she's shown a very high level of form as a two year old, and has fair excuses regarding the ground in the Guineas (Fortune said she changed her legs 3/4 times in the first furlong or two). I'd be confident of her staying as well. 6's a great price.

I'd need more positive soundings from Oxx before backing beauty o'gawn.

I'm in two minds whether to have a small bet on Copperbeech before she runs tomorrow. Godolphin don't have anything else, and I'd imagine if she wins tomorrow, with their lack of success on the bigger stages lately they'd really want to run her if tomorrow justifies it.

Back